Morgan Frost next contract?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Torts calling out a young player doesn't mean he's not a "Tort's guy." It means he's being pushed.

Torts has different standards for different players, he knows Frost won't be Cates defensively, but he wants Frost to be much better offensively - and not disappear for long stretches.

He's pushed Tippett all season for the same reason, and Tippett has responded, earlier in the season he'd go MIA for periods, if not games, now he jumps out at you almost every shift.

He's pushed York to be more aggressive on offense, but is playing him top 4 minutes, he just doesn't want York to settle for merely making it, he sees more in the kid and wants him to take it to the next level.

Reactions: Brent Burns Beard

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Torts calling out a young player doesn't mean he's not a "Tort's guy." It means he's being pushed.

Torts has different standards for different players, he knows Frost won't be Cates defensively, but he wants Frost to be much better offensively - and not disappear for long stretches.

He's pushed Tippett all season for the same reason, and Tippett has responded, earlier in the season he'd go MIA for periods, if not games, now he jumps out at you almost every shift.

He's pushed York to be more aggressive on offense, but is playing him top 4 minutes, he just doesn't want York to settle for merely making it, he sees more in the kid and wants him to take it to the next level.
I will take what I see and hear what he says over your opinion. As well as what a flyers employee reports. One who covers the team.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Frost is inconsistent, at times flashes top level skill, at times goes MIA for stretches.
St Louis and Atkinson (skilled "smurfs") both said the same thing about Torts, he pushed them up another level.
Some players respond, some don't, I suspect those who don't aren't going to take it to another level anywhere.

A lot of players get that big contract and are content to slide along with decent production, a beautiful wife, a great house, fan adulation and never push it. Before yuu give big money, identify which players will flatline and which have the internal drive to keep improving.

If you're building a team, I want players like G, who are never content with just being good enough.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Weird how his favorites never get "pushed."

You have no understanding of Tortorella. That's why you've been consistently wrong about him so far. You just project your hopes and dreams onto him and pretend he fulfills them.

Reactions: BiggE

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Frost is inconsistent, at times flashes top level skill, at times goes MIA for stretches.
St Louis and Atkinson (skilled "smurfs") both said the same thing about Torts, he pushed them up another level.
Some players respond, some don't, I suspect those who don't aren't going to take it to another level anywhere.

A lot of players get that big contract and are content to slide along with decent production, a beautiful wife, a great house, fan adulation and never push it. Before yuu give big money, identify which players will flatline and which have the internal drive to keep improving.

If you're building a team, I want players like G, who are never content with just being good enough.

Cates is inconsistent. How come he hasn't been insulted publicly?

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
if you have to pay a premium down the line so be it imo. If he warrants that then good. 2 year deal then go from there works.

You want to give him a Farabee type deal?
If I had to chose, I would probably go long term (5-6y, 4-5 per year), but I clearly like Frost as a player and would be willing to bet on him. I don't know if Frost's camp would do a caphit that low.

However, the 2-year deal isn't a problem in my eyes either. The positives of a 2 year deal include, 1) getting to see if Frost can keep up his play, and potentially expand on it (he can and I bet he will); 2) you get a bit of cap flexibility in the next two seasons (which they need); and, 3) you can trade him at the end of the contract if the team's timeline doesn't align. A 2 year deal in this specific scenario certainly gives the Flyers a lot of flexibility short-term capwise.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
If I had to chose, I would probably go long term (5-6y, 4-5 per year), but I clearly like Frost as a player and would be willing to bet on him. I don't know if Frost's camp would do a caphit that low.

However, the 2-year deal isn't a problem in my eyes either. The positives of a 2 year deal include, 1) getting to see if Frost can keep up his play, and potentially expand on it (he can and I bet he will); 2) you get a bit of cap flexibility in the next two seasons (which they need); and, 3) you can trade him at the end of the contract if the team's timeline doesn't align. A 2 year deal in this specific scenario certainly gives the Flyers a lot of flexibility short-term capwise.
4-5 per isnt a low cap hit to me. Especially knowing the flyers control him the next few years and playing under a coach who well doesn't like offense, he may pounce on that deal.

For both parties 2 year deal is probably best.

You think you can get a 1st in the 20-32 range for Frost?

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
The Frost Thread is closed so i think we can speak about Frosty in here.

Alot of us predicted he is a solid 3rd line Center some predicted his ceiling is 2nd line Center. Now in this abysmal season with a coach who hates him he produced a solid amount of points and has shown a lot of promise.

Sure he needs to get better at faceoffs and he sure can be a bot more effective from time to time. But all in all he plays a very solid game. When we talk about the linemates and the usage he has gotten he has made the most out of this Situation in my eyes.

Last year most of us would have traded Newhook for Frost straight up in a heartbeat. Now Frost has produced better than him. I dont want to say they are on the same lvl but they arent that far away from each other.

Here is a good comparison:

For me Frost is already a solid 3rd liner on a contenting team. I still see 2nd line upside. Not with our coach and our system. But if he can get out of this shithole he should reach his ceiling

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
The Frost Thread is closed so i think we can speak about Frosty in here.

A lot of us predicted he is a solid 3rd line Center some predicted his ceiling is 2nd line Center. Now in this abysmal season with a coach who hates him he produced a solid amount of points and has shown a lot of promise.

Sure he needs to get better at faceoffs and he sure can be a bot more effective from time to time. But all in all he plays a very solid game. When we talk about the linemates and the usage he has gotten he has made the most out of this Situation in my eyes.

Last year most of us would have traded Newhook for Frost straight up in a heartbeat. Now Frost has produced better than him. I dont want to say they are on the same lvl but they arent that far away from each other.

Here is a good comparison:

For me Frost is already a solid 3rd liner on a contenting team. I still see 2nd line upside. Not with our coach and our system. But if he can get out of this shithole he should reach his ceiling
This 100%!!

For the people who can see every mistake Frost make but are dead silent when Tippett makes a dumb blind pass end of game it shows the agendas. For Frost to be in double secret probation the second half of the year is not Torts working Frost hard. It showing Torts is a megalomaniac stuck in 1982 and should be playing the latest asia album (and now you find your self in 82). I swear there are fans that would pick Mike Keenan over player development on these boards. Decide if you want to look at Allison and L-ski next year I get. Frost is no brainer back.

Now I want to see Frost's better games against better competition. Frost out playing MTL, ARI, and ANA should be happening at this stage. Its the Bos, Car, Pitts games where he needs to equal to the competition. I don't mean Bergeron or Crosby. I mean the 2nd and 3rd lines.

Last edited:

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Because he's less skilled and has a lower IQ, so he has to make up for that by expending more energy, which makes Torts' three sizes too small heart flutter.

I've read nothing that says Cates has a lower IQ than Frost, actually. In my very curated research* of things I've read, Frost isn't exactly lauded for his IQ.

*source: notepad document that I typed up yesterday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad