Morgan Frost next contract?

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
How much

How much do u figure?

I’m not familiar with PHI usual cap management strategies and payroll structure.
Flyers fans don't know either as so often management pays out of panic.

Desperate for a 2c overpay for hayes.

Flyers give up way too much for Risto overpay!

Sanheim might be an overpay but at least he looked like a legit 3d last year.

Tippett and Frost will get bridge deals whatever the right math is you tell me. York at 22 I think you bridge as well but if he got a team friendly 6 year deal of course u listen. Flyers seem to like Cates a lot so could he get a Laughton type deal? Wouldn't think so but not crazy.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Really depends on how he finishes the season. Is he going to finish at the ~60 point pace he’s been on for the last 25 games, or does he slow down a bit, or does he speed up and go ppg for the last ~25ish games?

Finishing with ~40 points vs ~55 points will be a significant difference.

I would go long term, 4+ years, and as cheap as you can get it. I think he’s prime to have a big season next year.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
Thanks guys. I love the analysis too. Hard to find good current info on this player and his progress.

Does Torts trust him?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He'll get a short-term bridge b/c the sample size is too small to give him major money.
Then if he can do it for a full season or longer, they'll lock him up long-term.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Thanks guys. I love the analysis too. Hard to find good current info on this player and his progress.

Does Torts trust him?
Early on Torts was scratching everyone. Hayes, Konecky, Frost, Risto all took a turn on the scratch list. Frost didn't start off great and instead of Torts showing patience with Frost, Torts buried Frost with Nic Des. Torts was also playing Zac Attack in the top 3 lines rather than develop Frost. It was infuriating to say the least. It was picking up a nickel and passing by a hundy. Frost the last 25 games has played very well. I am guessing most Flyers fans on here want to keep Frost and Tippett together for the rest of the season and see what the flyers have. Very positive and very optimistic Frost can be a 2c. High end 3c at worst.

The next step in development is on a nightly basis to play as well as if not better than the opposition's 2nd line players. Frost lit up Arizona like Tommy playing pinball. But there can be the off nights against 1st team star teams. Consistency is the next step. Its what you expect from a 23 year old player who a) has a checkered injury history b) is on a team with a history of poorly developing players.

Hope this helps.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
MacEwen had nothing to do with Frost, he's a RW who played up due to injuries (demoted as soon as Allison was healthy), Frost was demoted b/c he was inconsistent on defense and back checking, like a number of players, he got the memo and responded and then got more PT.

Dec 7, JVR returned, York was promoted and the lines were finally set. Since then a lot of players have shown substantial improvement b/c they're in set roles and can just focus on playing. It's not just Frost.

xGF% last 25 games (5x5 SVA):
Tippett 56.28%
Allison 56.09%
Hayes 55.68%
JVR 54.25%
Frost 52.00%
Cates 50.43%
Laughton 50.41%

Reactions: Brent Burns Beard

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
MacEwen had nothing to do with Frost, he's a RW who played up due to injuries (demoted as soon as Allison was healthy), Frost was demoted b/c he was inconsistent on defense and back checking, like a number of players, he got the memo and responded and then got more PT.

Dec 7, JVR returned, York was promoted and the lines were finally set. Since then a lot of players have shown substantial improvement b/c they're in set roles and can just focus on playing. It's not just Frost.
Playing Zac top 3 lines was far better plan than moving Cates or Laughton to wing and Frost at C.

snickers

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Cates and Laughton are LW if they're not at Center.
MacEwen is RW.
Geez, don't even know the Flyer players.
The horror of playing players at off wing.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

I have learned to appreciate your comedy.

No one can be this much of a horse's backside without doing so on purpose.

At least I hope so.

Poll for flyers fans since Farabee is playing off wing should the flyers move him to left wing and move kiefer to 2rw because heavens to mergatroid someone Farabee plays off wing. or maybe just maybe nhl players can adjust playing off wing.

Last edited:

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I would go long term, 4+ years, and as cheap as you can get it. I think he’s prime to have a big season next year.

Unfortunately, I think management doesn't think twice about a bridge. Fletcher puts more thought into which cereal he wants in the morning: Life or Shredded Wheat. And I don't see Briere, or whoever, wildly diverging. Certainly, God Emperor Tortellini would agree with a wait and see.

Now, the interesting component is Cates is up for a new contract this summer too. I'll bet anything he gets more salary and more term. If they go 4-5 years, it's with him at $3.x -- it will be a funny contrast.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The horror of playing players at off wing.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

I have learned to appreciate your comedy.

No one can be this much of a horse's backside without doing so on purpose.

At least I hope so.

Poll for flyers fans since Farabee is playing off wing should the flyers move him to left wing and move kiefer to 2rw because heavens to mergatroid someone Farabee plays off wing. or maybe just maybe nhl players can adjust playing off wing.
Some players can adjust, and you can usually tell b/c they play off wing on a regular basis, Farabee at RW, Tippett at LW.
But if a coach never plays a guy on his off wing, it probably is b/c that player isn't comfortable playing there.
I can't remember JVR or Laughton playing RW, how often has TK played LW? Has Provorov ever played RHD?

It's an individual thing and not just hockey, some OL in the NFL can play along the lines, others are uncomfortable and struggle on their off-side. Probably a muscle memory/dominant side thing.

Unfortunately, I think management doesn't think twice about a bridge. Fletcher puts more thought into which cereal he wants in the morning: Life or Shredded Wheat. And I don't see Briere, or whoever, wildly diverging. Certainly, God Emperor Tortellini would agree with a wait and see.

Now, the interesting component is Cates is up for a new contract this summer too. I'll bet anything he gets more salary and more term. If they go 4-5 years, it's with him at $3.x -- it will be a funny contrast.

It doesn't make sense to give term up to a player's UFA season, either have the bridge end a couple years early, so you have enough information to know if you want to extend while retaining leverage, or include a couple years of UFA, so you get cost certainty down the road.

ugiswrong

Dec 8, 2005
deutschland
He is a very efficient skater and pretty cerebral so sometimes he looks like he is saving a stride because he reads his assignment change pretty quickly. Better 0-60 than 0-30 relatively. If he learns from Cates how to skate close to your opponent without interfering with them, and how to be annoying to play against, he could be a top Flyers player after a decade where we go .500

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad