More Speculation About Babcock's Future

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I think you're working a little too hard to pin this on Holland. If Babcock still wanted Tatar in the lineup, Holland wouldn't go "too bad! yoink!" Toward the end of his stay, Tatar was getting the Nyquist treatment: too small, so his icetime has to be minimized.

I do want to point out that I think you're misrepresenting how GMs and coaches interact. Or, rather, I think you're ignoring that they do. It seems like you want to take any grievance I might have and pin it on Holland instead. That said, I'm not enamored with Holland's job this season (and the past few). I'm just more unhappy with Babcock's.

He did it last year with Brendan Smith. Seriously. If it was up to Babcock Smith would have spent last season in Detroit. I need to let this rest as obviously my comments are upsetting people [mod]. So I will say no more on this topic. I'm done. Topic is being set to ignore.

RedWinger10

Feb 11, 2013
Suddenly Babcock is a genius for having Abdelkader on the top line. Nobody has helped him out on those goals.

If it keeps working Idc who gets credit. Wow what a game!!!!
By the way I'm kidding, I know this is Abby's career game. Anyways. I think Babcock gets an extension and I get to hear about it on HFB for the durration of his contract. YAAYYY!!!!:cry::laugh:

HTT3*

they would have no choice but to have Tatar and Nyquist in every night.

I understand why they aren't up on the roster full time. I'm surprised more people here don't understand it. Holland and Babcock are brilliant on how they are handling the youth, genius and respectable. This isn't NHL13, this is real NHL hockey that takes real foresight and understanding how the game is played. Actually, Holland is going to pave the way for other GMs to pick up on his strategy, problem is other GMs don't have the patience or the foresight.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I understand why they aren't up on the roster full time. I'm surprised more people here don't understand it. Holland and Babcock are brilliant on how they are handling the youth, genius and respectable. This isn't NHL13, this is real NHL hockey that takes real foresight and understanding how the game is played. Actually, Holland is going to pave the way for other GMs to pick up on his strategy, problem is other GMs don't have the patience or the foresight.

Interesting you said foresight. Tell me how playing Cleary and Miller over Nyquist and Tatar makes us a better team in 2014-2015. Tell me how signing Bertuzzi and Samuelsson so there is no room for Nyquist and Tatar to be called up without waiving someone and keeping them both off the roster for another year makes us a better team in 2014-2015? Tell me how Brendan Smith having a whole NHL-season less of experience makes us a better team in 2014-2015.

None of those things do, and none of those things would sacrifice the present either. Foresight my ass.

CloneHakanPlease*

Suddenly Babcock is a genius for having Abdelkader on the top line. Nobody has helped him out on those goals.

Yeah man, Babcock probably told him to not score for 40 games to get their guard down

HTT3*

Interesting you said foresight. Tell me how playing Cleary and Miller over Nyquist and Tatar makes us a better team in 2014-2015. Tell me how signing Bertuzzi and Samuelsson so there is no room for Nyquist and Tatar to be called up without waiving someone and keeping them both off the roster for another year makes us a better team in 2014-2015? Tell me how Brendan Smith having a whole NHL-season less of experience makes us a better team in 2014-2015.

None of those things do, and none of those things would sacrifice the present either. Foresight my ass.

- Depth, they can send those players down without risk of losing them. Good to have with all the injuries. Brilliant foresight.

- Giving those small player top minutes in the AHL to develop, Nyquist's size gets exposed every shift.

- Make them earn a roster spot, no handouts.

- They aren't a clear upgrade over Miller / Cleary yet

- Wings will win more games with Bertuzzi and Samuelsson than they will with two wet-behind-the-ears rookies with no size and weak on the puck.

- Too many Rookies on one team is a BAD THING. They need to be brought in slowly.

- They get smaller raises when the get re-signed.

Shall I keep going. The reason are obvious and I am surprised you really needed me to spoon feed you the obvious. It is a no brainer, surprised you really needed someone to explain this to you. It's not rocket science at all.

Oh and Smith is extremely overrated, I wouldn't call him garbage, but he's certainly not a top 4. He's been a giveaway machine and makes some of the dumbest plays I've ever seen. He looks out of place and lazy at times. I'm not sure why Wings fans think he's the 'savior' on defense. I would give Holland the green light on trading him. I don't know the details of the CBJ and DRWs talk about Nash, but if Smith and a few scraps were the offer, then I think Holland made a mistake not trading Smith.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
- Depth, they can send those players down without risk of losing them. Good to have with all the injuries. Brilliant foresight.
They could send these players down without risk of losing them anyway. They're on ELCs. The minute these guys are off ELCs and sent down, they'll be claimed.

Giving those small player top minutes in the AHL to develop, Nyquist's size gets exposed every shift.
And when they dominate the AHL? (Which at least Nyquist is.) For the record, I'm sure Nyquist's size was very much exposed when he was blowing by the D to score that goal two games ago. Tatar's lack of size was exposed every time he scored a goal right in front of the net or in the slot. Or did they have their size exposed when they got scored on? Oh wait! They're both plus players across their NHL careers. It's tough to believe that their size is somehow exposed on every shift, yet they're miraculously rarely scored on. I don't think Tatar and Nyquist have the luck of the Irish.

Make them earn a roster spot, no handouts.
At the minimum, you have to admit that Tatar has earned a roster spot. He wasn't handed anything (Nyquist always got the long callups). He ran with the ball and got... what? He got his minutes reduced and then he was sent back down.

They aren't a clear upgrade over Miller / Cleary yet
This is patently false. They're a clear upgrade over Miller/Cleary if you care about scoring goals.

Wings will win more games with Bertuzzi and Samuelsson than they will with two wet-behind-the-ears rookies with no size and weak on the puck.
The Wings would win more games with Bertuzzi, Samuelsson, Tatar, and Nyquist. Just take out two of the redundant 4th liners that we have so many of.

Too many Rookies on one team is a BAD THING. They need to be brought in slowly.
I think the point to be made here is that Nyquist and Tatar have already waited. They've had games to see what it's like in the NHL. They've been brought in slowly, which means they're being... brought in, period. It's time for the Wings to bring them in for good.

They get smaller raises when the get re-signed.
Do you think the players, or the players' agents, don't notice this? There's not some "oh, but you weren't in the NHL, so your time spent doesn't count" rule. Those guys are going to want money based on how long they've been NHL caliber players. Smith is a great example of this: I don't think Smith is going to take it easy on Holland by any means. This strategy flat out doesn't work and annoys players.

The bottom line is that you haven't showed that Nyquist and Tatar don't belong in the NHL, nor have you showed that there are compelling strategic/cap management reasons to keep them out of the league. As far as Cleary/Miller being better than them, we can agree to disagree, because you're out to lunch there.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
- Giving those small player top minutes in the AHL to develop, Nyquist's size gets exposed every shift.

Let's turn to rookie scoring in the NHL for a moment.

1. Jonathan Huberdeau- 12 goals. more than anyone on this team. Guy is 170 pounds soaking wet, and has more goals than anyone on our team. Still weak on the puck, but highly skilled and produces.
2. Brendan Gallagher- 5'8 or 5'9 would be 2nd on wings in scoring.
3. Cory Conacher- 5'8 would be 2nd on the Wings in scoring.

You're like a broken record with size so I'm really just sick of it at this point.

Nyquist has over 100 AHL games and ppg since day 1. What do you want exactly? Tatar played more than good enough to earn a spot during his call-up.

These are two guys we found off of the trash heap. Let's not act like they are irreplaceable players.

- Wings will win more games with Bertuzzi and Samuelsson than they will with two wet-behind-the-ears rookies with no size and weak on the puck.
Do we win more games with them in the press box. Part of the risk with extending old guys is their bodies can't hold up. I guess that's where foresight comes into play....

- Too many Rookies on one team is a BAD THING. They need to be brought in slowly.
Yeah, absolutely it can be. It was fine for us to leave skilled young guys off the roster when we were deep and had veteran skilled guys. Look at the make-up of our roster. We are lacking skill.

They get smaller raises when the get re-signed.
Or it pisses them off and they walk later on. See Jiri Hudler.

Oh and Smith is extremely overrated, I wouldn't call him garbage, but he's certainly not a top 4. He's been a giveaway machine and makes some of the dumbest plays I've ever seen. He looks out of place and lazy at times. I'm not sure why Wings fans think he's the 'savior' on defense. I would give Holland the green light on trading him. I don't know the details of the CBJ and DRWs talk about Nash, but if Smith and a few scraps were the offer, then I think Holland made a mistake not trading Smith.

Smith has been very underwhelming this year, but I expect him to be a lot better next year. If he's not then I'm right there with you, and I am pretty concerned.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
Actually the 2nd goal was all thanks Datsyuk's forecheck and his transition from defense to offense. Perfect textbook defense from Pavel.

The shot wasn't. It's not as if Abdelkader was gifted that one, or either of the others.

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013

- They get smaller raises when the get re-signed.

Shall I keep going. The reason are obvious and I am surprised you really needed me to spoon feed you the obvious. It is a no brainer, surprised you really needed someone to explain this to you. It's not rocket science at all.

You cant claim depth when we have 6 4th liners while 2 guys are atleast in the top 9 are being sent down. Tatar and Nyquist are barely being given a shot while we have 3 injuries to forwards.

Size is just an excuse, he will only learn to be stronger on the puck by playing against stronger and better NHL players. Again see the best rookie goal scorers.

They've earned their shot and just get sent down or limited minutes on the 3rd or 4th line.

They are definitely better than Cleary and Miller also Abs, Emmerton, Eaves, Tootoo.

Keep Sammy and Bert, move the 6 4th liners we have.

Too many rookies is a bad thing and shows the bad roster management and planning by Holland. Maybe if he brought up Smith full time last year while we had a better blue line and Kindl the year before. Made it a point to bring in a top 3 D man instead of Quincey and Cola. Made room last year for Nyquist to stay up and play last year so Tatar would be the only main rookie now. Then Jarnkrok could come in next year as the only rookie. Instead we have a bunch of mediocre 4th liners and old washed up top 6ers who are injured yet refuse to replace them with people who have skill.

Should I keep going?

HTT3*

They could send these players down without risk of losing them anyway. They're on ELCs. The minute these guys are off ELCs and sent down, they'll be claimed.

And when they dominate the AHL? (Which at least Nyquist is.) For the record, I'm sure Nyquist's size was very much exposed when he was blowing by the D to score that goal two games ago. Tatar's lack of size was exposed every time he scored a goal right in front of the net or in the slot. Or did they have their size exposed when they got scored on? Oh wait! They're both plus players across their NHL careers. It's tough to believe that their size is somehow exposed on every shift, yet they're miraculously rarely scored on. I don't think Tatar and Nyquist have the luck of the Irish.

At the minimum, you have to admit that Tatar has earned a roster spot. He wasn't handed anything (Nyquist always got the long callups). He ran with the ball and got... what? He got his minutes reduced and then he was sent back down.

This is patently false. They're a clear upgrade over Miller/Cleary if you care about scoring goals.

The Wings would win more games with Bertuzzi, Samuelsson, Tatar, and Nyquist. Just take out two of the redundant 4th liners that we have so many of.

I think the point to be made here is that Nyquist and Tatar have already waited. They've had games to see what it's like in the NHL. They've been brought in slowly, which means they're being... brought in, period. It's time for the Wings to bring them in for good.

Do you think the players, or the players' agents, don't notice this? There's not some "oh, but you weren't in the NHL, so your time spent doesn't count" rule. Those guys are going to want money based on how long they've been NHL caliber players. Smith is a great example of this: I don't think Smith is going to take it easy on Holland by any means. This strategy flat out doesn't work and annoys players.

The bottom line is that you haven't showed that Nyquist and Tatar don't belong in the NHL, nor have you showed that there are compelling strategic/cap management reasons to keep them out of the league. As far as Cleary/Miller being better than them, we can agree to disagree, because you're out to lunch there.

Let's turn to rookie scoring in the NHL for a moment.

1. Jonathan Huberdeau- 12 goals. more than anyone on this team. Guy is 170 pounds soaking wet, and has more goals than anyone on our team. Still weak on the puck, but highly skilled and produces.
2. Brendan Gallagher- 5'8 or 5'9 would be 2nd on wings in scoring.
3. Cory Conacher- 5'8 would be 2nd on the Wings in scoring.

You're like a broken record with size so I'm really just sick of it at this point.

Nyquist has over 100 AHL games and ppg since day 1. What do you want exactly? Tatar played more than good enough to earn a spot during his call-up.

These are two guys we found off of the trash heap. Let's not act like they are irreplaceable players.

Do we win more games with them in the press box. Part of the risk with extending old guys is their bodies can't hold up. I guess that's where foresight comes into play....

Yeah, absolutely it can be. It was fine for us to leave skilled young guys off the roster when we were deep and had veteran skilled guys. Look at the make-up of our roster. We are lacking skill.

Or it pisses them off and they walk later on. See Jiri Hudler.

Smith has been very underwhelming this year, but I expect him to be a lot better next year. If he's not then I'm right there with you, and I am pretty concerned.

You cant claim depth when we have 6 4th liners while 2 guys are atleast in the top 9 are being sent down. Tatar and Nyquist are barely being given a shot while we have 3 injuries to forwards.

Size is just an excuse, he will only learn to be stronger on the puck by playing against stronger and better NHL players. Again see the best rookie goal scorers.

They've earned their shot and just get sent down or limited minutes on the 3rd or 4th line.

They are definitely better than Cleary and Miller also Abs, Emmerton, Eaves, Tootoo.

Too many rookies is a bad thing and shows the bad roster management and planning by Holland. Maybe if he brought up Smith full time last year while we had a better blue line and Kindl the year before. Made it a point to bring in a top 3 D man instead of Quincey and Cola. Made room last year for Nyquist to stay up and play last year so Tatar would be the only main rookie now. Then Jarnkrok could come in next year as the only rookie. Instead we have a bunch of mediocre 4th liners and old washed up top 6ers who are injured yet refuse to replace them with people who have skill.

Should I keep going?

Watching a few random high-light plays from Nyquist and Tatar doesn't impress me much. They are making a calm and slow transition to the NHL which is a brilliant on Holland's part. They are the future, but I don't see either of them having more of an impact than Hudler did. They will be flashy players for time-to-time, but won't be first stars often. They will become depth scoring at best... not the next wave to carry the team to the promise land. Jarnkrok, maybe... but not Tatar and Nyquist.

But with Holland being patient and bringing them in slowly only helps their development and is teaching them not to take anything for granted. Once they build some size, get stronger, and learn to play every shift in all areas of the ice, they will be fine players. They are simply not ready yet. You can see that in their play. They show flashes, but that's it.

As for Miller / Cleary, they are 60 minute players that understand the game. They don't take shifts off and can play in top 6 or bottom 6. They are strong and have vision and know how to play in the NHL. Something Nyquist and Tatar are still very much learning.

I appreciate Holland not wanting to turn this team into an Oilers type escapade. Too much youth movement (especially youth that clearly isn't ready yet) is a bad thing. Ask the Oilers who can't get it together.

Jul 30, 2005
I still can't figure out the hate for Babs. He has done a great job this year, again. If we lose him, then we really are screwed.
I think there was an unspoken condition for coaches in Detroit before this season: continue playing offensive hockey. It didn't have to be spoken before this season, really.

I think people wanted the following things out of Babcock/Holland:

1. Continue to win/make the playoffs.

2. Get younger/phase out some of the crappy old guys.

3. Put Datsyuk with skilled wingers.

4. Continue playing offensive hockey.

#1 might happen, it looks like #2 will not happen, and #3 and #4 are not really happening. 1.5/4 (at best) is not a particularly good grade to me.

Jul 30, 2005
Watching a few random high-light plays from Nyquist and Tatar doesn't impress me much. They are making a calm and slow transition to the NHL which is a brilliant on Holland's part.
The point is exactly that they are not. How on earth can they transition to the NHL by barely playing in it? They have to learn the NHL game by playing it, and somebody somewhere is not interested in giving them that chance right now.

Saying that Nyquist and Tatar are learning the NHL game this way is like saying you can learn to swim by dipping your toe in the pool.

I think the reality is that much of the Wings fanbase is used to ready-made players, and we don't get those anymore. There are no more Datsyuks and Zetterbergs. Any players the Wings have at this point will have to work their way up, but it's similarly important that you let them. Tatar and Nyquist's handling sends a really, really bad message, which is that young players cannot just work their way onto the team. Why bother in the AHL if leading the league in scoring won't get you a callup? Why bother at all? I'd be worried about what that says to Jarnkrok and all of the other somewhat undersized offensive prospects we have.

As for Miller / Cleary, they are 60 minute players that understand the game. They don't take shifts off and can play in top 6 or bottom 6. They are strong and have vision and know how to play in the NHL. Something Nyquist and Tatar are still very much learning.
If you think Miller/Cleary have better vision than Nyquist, I get the impression you haven't seen Nyquist play. Hockey sense and vision are what his game is about. This makes me think you're being dishonest and arguing just to argue.

garry1221

Mar 13, 2003
Walled Lake, Mi
Visit site

Should I keep going?

You forgot to mention, giving these washed up vets NTC's for no apparent reason. Other than that, I couldn't have said it better. Depth does not equal quantity. Depth is about skill, not numbers. Since our last cup win, our 'depth' has gotten a lot more shallow. I don't understand how anyone can't see that. The last couple years, it seems Kenny finds a leak and puts his finger in the hole to plug the leak, when he's got the materials needed to fix the leak.

It's hard to put full blame on Babcock when Kenny hasn't given him a lot to work with. Roster management on both ends could and should be better. I'm starting to wonder if Babs is getting frustrated by Kenny's roster moves and is trying to show Kenny the types of players he wants on his roster. Whether it's the best way to go about it, is up for debate. Maybe Babs figures if Kenny won't listen to me, I'll show him what I need. Pure speculation of course, but it makes sense. Bottom line, I don't think any other coach could do any better with this current team.

HTT3*

I think the reality is that much of the Wings fanbase is used to ready-made players, and we don't get those anymore. There are no more Datsyuks and Zetterbergs. Any players the Wings have at this point will have to work their way up, but it's similarly important that you let them.

Exactly my point, they are not ready made players and need to work their way up. they simply aren't there yet. They have to play limited ice time in the NHL and work into being players that are ready. Look at Smith, he's been thrown in the NHL before he is ready and has been bad.

Nyquist and Tatar have shown flashes of goodness, but they are not sustaining it. They simply aren't ready (as proven by Babcock AND management). I guess they see what I see... and I think Holland is brilliant for being so patient. Who want's to develop players like the Islanders and Oilers? I sure don't... and neither do Holland and brass, and Babcock. That's why they get paid the big bucks and you're on a random message forum typing posts from your lazyboy expressing "how you feel" with no merit.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Watching a few random high-light plays from Nyquist and Tatar doesn't impress me much. .

Yeah. That's your problem. You're not watching the games.

Tatar has been more than adequate to replace guys like Cleary, Abby, Miller, Eaves, Tootoo. He's faster, better hands, he's not slouch on defense. Your "size" argument exists only in the vacuum of height and weight numbers. It doesn't exist when you look at how strong they are on their skates and on the puck. Tatar is as strong on the puck as any of those players I mentioned.

Scoring goals? What about speed? Cleary is slow as hell. What about hockey sense? Cleary has none. Tatar makes things happen even if he's not scoring. Cleary has killed every line he's moved to. Tatar is a superior player to Cleary in every single way expect the number next to his height stat. And only idiots would use that as a reason to keep Cleary in over Tatar when our best players are small guys like Datsyuk, Zetterberg.

Who want's to develop players like the Islanders and Oilers? I sure don't... and neither do Holland and brass, and Babcock. That's why they get paid the big bucks and you're on a random message forum typing posts from your lazyboy expressing "how you feel" with no merit.
Except your argument of "They get paid big money to do this job" applies to every single person in management for every single team. Are you saying that every GM in the league is beyond blame by the fans? They have more qualifications, experience than 99% of the fanbase, and they get paid the money. And your argument that this makes them beyond criticism by anyone on the internet is just stupid. We are not people without any knowledge of hockey. We've all been watching and/or playing for decades. A lot of us even watch the prospects play. A better comparison would be an experienced nurse or paralegal pointing out something that the doctor or lawyer has overlooked. Happens all the time.

You should try arguing the merits, instead of just saying "They're completely beyond criticism. Period."

The merits are not on your side. Nyquist, and especially Tatar, have excelled at every level. Tatar has been superb in the AHL for a good 2-3 years now. He put up a good number of points while he was up with the Wings. More than any of our other grinders and in less games. That includes Abby who was playing top6 minutes.

But you don't want to talk about that. Because Babcock and Holland are "brilliant," "geniuses" and cannot be criticized. Screw the facts! You can't criticize them!

(That genius and brilliance by the way, has been unable to progress past the second round for three years in a row and got trounced by the Preds in only 5 games last year. If only other teams were able to have such genius at their disposal.)

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2005
Exactly my point, they are not ready made players and need to work their way up. they simply aren't there yet. They have to play limited ice time in the NHL and work into being players that are ready.
I think we agree. Nyquist and Tatar need to work to become being good NHL players, which means they need to be given a chance to learn and work on it. It's absurd to say that a player can learn the NHL game without being in the NHL.

They start with limited (lower line) ice time in the NHL and gradually work their way up to better ice time in the NHL. The key is that they start with some amount of consistent NHL ice time, because neither has anything to learn in the AHL.

sureWhyNot

Jan 24, 2012
Chicago
People calling for Babcock's exit baffle me. So much so I don't even come around here much anymore because literally every other post is about Babcock being horrible, whining about Nyquist being up, etc.

Losing Babcock would be the absolute worst thing for this hockey team. You want someone gone, call for Hollands exit. He is the single biggest reason the team has nose dived.

Fire Babcock? Give me a break. MOD

BTW - Nyquist should be in GR. MOD

He is not ready for the league yet, he is fine on open I open ice but becomes an absolute non factor when he is in traffic. Let him get stronger, play first line minutes in GR and hell be a full timer next year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Losing Datsyuk is the absolute worst thing that can happen to this team. Low morale in the locker room isn't to good either.

sureWhyNot

Jan 24, 2012
Chicago
Losing Datsyuk is the absolute worst thing that can happen to this team. Low morale in the locker room isn't to good either.

You have ZERO CLUE about the morale in the locker room. I remember the exact same BS argument when Bowman was here and the rifts with players. Then again with Babcock when he got here.

It's not the coaches job to be the players friends. Throughout Bowman's career the players him didn't like him. You want to cry, find an assistant coach.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
What's annoying to me is the same people who think Nyquist should be in GR, are the same people who complain about Smith being underwhelming. Hate to break it to you people but Smith would be a lot better this year if he was up all last year. It's the same **** with Nyquist.

sureWhyNot

Jan 24, 2012
Chicago
What's annoying to me is the same people who think Nyquist should be in GR, are the same people who complain about Smith being underwhelming. Hate to break it to you people but Smith would be a lot better this year if he was up all last year. It's the same **** with Nyquist.

I think Nyquist should most def be in GR and I think Smith has been progressing fine.

Kind of smoked your hypothesis there, huh?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad