Post-Game Talk: More questions than answers, Jets season over

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Thats going to happen if you reward Wheels the icetime that Ehlers and Laine are needing. Of course you cannot blame everything on Maurice but those guys can't get going if they are not given any opportunities.

I think our biggest weakness is our leadership. We are the most undisciplined team in the league. Our shift lenghts are too big on certain players. We take too many stupid penalties and we don't try enough different lines and combinations when things aren't working out. We've had two seasons to try to separate Wheels and Scheif and still haven't done it. Why can't we try to get chemistry built with different players?

Edit: I get often frustrated by Maurice but if we don't have any better options then keep him. No more old jerks. Try something new like Rikhard Grönborg.

Maurice has to be fired. It doesn't even matter how much of this is his fault but if there really is something broken in the locker room, we need to have a clean slate with everyone.

Not letting Maurice go after this performance would be another major mistake by the organization. It doesn't even matter if there are better options or not, we need a completely fresh start with a new coach regardless.

1OApick

Jun 29, 2016
Maurice has to be fired. It doesn't even matter how much of this is his fault but if there really is something broken in the locker room, we need to have a clean slate with everyone.

Not letting Maurice go after this performance would be another major mistake by the organization. It doesn't even matter if there are better options or not, we need a completely fresh start with a new coach regardless.
I thought it myself also and gotnit myself. If there is something wrong in locker room you should fire him. Ohterwise there is too much hill to climb.

Reactions: grieves

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Man that hurts!
Still #GoJetsGo
Now that TNS have seen what's ailing the team.
They need to reload.
Writing on the walls since start of the year: seen this coming since February.

Some intersting events this year.
1) Vesa leaving for Finland
2) Niku getting suspended
3) both Fins wasnt use in finland!
4) continously misuse of Laine and Ehlers
5) downward play starting January
6) Trouba not happy
7) Laine gave up on his play mid season
8.) Wheeler and Chairot fight
9) helly breaking his stick on the crossback during practice after team meeting
But the most interesting facts:
10) needed to bring a press box player in Mat Hendrick to help the leadership core
11) After close door meeting , team collapsed in the very next game in the 3rd period.
12) coach kept using and giving 55 and 26 all the ice times. Not splitting them up once this year despite not very good numbers against top competition.
13) not using Hayes enough the best point producer from all the traded players after the deadline.
14) Not using enough arguably your best forward this series #29.
These are not rant. These are facts :)
Looking at this, the coach had lose control of the team and the leadership group have lost control of the room
The Wheeler Chiarot fight occurred in March 2018.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
He could have given every starter a game off and that would have balanced things. Evening out the ice time could have shaved a game or two off Wheefele's TOI. But credit to Maurice, when the chips are down he jumps in with his forte -- spouting excuses.

Even if Maurice had limited Scheifele and Wheelers time by 3 minutes per game (a lot of that could be found on the penalty kill) we’re talking 240 minutes per year. That’s equal to 10 games off over the whole year. Think about that for a minute.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Even if Maurice had limited Scheifele and Wheelers time by 3 minutes per game (a lot of that could be found on the penalty kill) we’re talking 240 minutes per year. That’s equal to 10 games off over the whole year. Think about that for a minute.
Pretty crazy when you look at it that way. Maurice's own excuses give Chevy the perfect reason to fire him.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Another positive: I can watch the NFL draft on Thursday without any annoying Jets playoff games to conflict with.

Its a good thing to try to find some sun among the clouds, that's healthy: and I respect that, but Hockey is my jam.

I love the NFL, CFL, shuffleboard, Japanese game shows, Aussie Rules Football, 4H dog and pony shows in Brandon in the spring (Ok, honestly I don't), but 90% of my sports-fan investment is Jets.

My point: The benefit of emotional divestment with the Jets gone, is a false freedom (at least in my case).

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Ehlers should have never dressed ... big mistake by Maurice.

Some very difficult and perhaps unpopular decisions to make this off season. For one, trade Ehlers. We need to rebuild a team that can be successful in the playoffs. Ehlers has proven that he can't. And I like Ehlers. But in the playoffs, he plays scared.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Its a good thing to try to find some sun among the clouds, that's healthy: and I respect that, but Hockey is my jam.

I love the NFL, CFL, shuffleboard, Japanese game shows, Aussie Rules Football, 4H dog and pony shows in Brandon in the spring (Ok, honestly I don't), but 90% of my sports-fan investment is Jets.

My point: The benefit of emotional divestment with the Jets gone, is a false freedom (at least in my case).

I know that I will be a lot more productive around the house, that’s a certainty.
Unless I spend my free summer evenings on the prospects thread like I have done one or two summers before.
But the silver lining is... we hardly have any great prospects to discuss so I guess I’m free this summer!
(sort of joking-but not fully).

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I can't recall where I read it, but someone wrote that Binnington reminded them of Matt Murray in the sense of a goalie who seemed to come out of nowhere and opened eyes with his brilliant goaltending, and was rewarded for it with a Stanley Cup. Man, as a Jets fan, it'd suck for a division rival to win the Cup, but on the other hand, I suppose if the Blues do win the Cup, Jets fans can say our team lost to the eventual Cup winner so there should be no shame in that.

Binnington is easy to solve by crowding the net and getting pucks in the area. He is terrible on rebound control. The next team up will do it and he will look like th AHL keeper that he is.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Canucks fan here curious about Hayes' ice time throughout this series... why was he given less minutes than Lowry at even strength and overall?!

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
I feel like it is even more open than before outside of the Lightning having been the obvious favorite. I could see pretty much every team remaining go all the way. If I'd had to bet I'd go with Vegas just by my gut feeling. They might be hungriest team left right now. Maybe actually the Leafs? Man, that would suck. Caps won it last year, Islanders and Avalanche are still pretty young and Blues I feel like will at some point be happy with what they achieved after being the worst team in the league at some point. I kind of have no sentiment at all about Dallas though. But Vegas looks very hungry to me after coming so close last year + they got Stone who seems like a man on a mission.

Reactions: Board Bard

AnonoJet

Jul 22, 2013
If the personnel don’t materially change, this is a wild card team at best next year. And possibly not even a playoff team. This group has been exposed as fundamentally flawed from a commit and mental toughness perspective. Talent seems to be there, but not the guts and toughness it takes in this league to ever be a success. I thought game 5 was pathetic, but last night was a new low.

Best team won.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
If the personnel don’t materially change, this is a wild card team at best next year. And possibly not even a playoff team. This group has been exposed as fundamentally flawed from a commit and mental toughness perspective. Talent seems to be there, but not the guts and toughness it takes in this league to ever be a success. I thought game 5 was pathetic, but last night was a new low.

Best team won.

Our backup keeper literally stole 4 games / 8 points. Under this coach, we were a bubble team disguised as a contender for people who just look at the standings and don't know hockey. Next year will be a struggle without big changes starting at the top.

Interesting how the same lame excuses get trotted out by this coach. Schedule, guys being tired and playing injured players. All teams have banged up guys in the post season. All teams play 82 games. But not all teams run 3 lines instead of four, and not all teams run their number ones 24 minutes most nights. And not all teams refuse to play the number 1 backup in the league for even 20 games.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Canucks fan here curious about Hayes' ice time throughout this series... why was he given less minutes than Lowry at even strength and overall?!

Lowry was our only centre who didn’t get eaten alive by ROR. Taking that matchup allowed the scoring lines to avoid ROR.

Maurice never found a role for Hayes and never really tried to. He didn’t mesh well with Laine from centre but really Hayes should have been moved onto one of the top lines as a wing when they were struggling.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Laine played like a pro, no giving up by him.
Played like a pro considering the Kyy Otsassa matter. ("Pissed off" in Canadian English, "pissed" in weird Murican English.) Didn't look happy playing and that's when trouble starts. No matter how pro. JMHO, to be sure.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Leafs fan coming here to say your team got robbed on that non call on the second goal. As Helly said “if that is not the definition of goalie interference I don’t know what is”

Refs suck. Good luck this offseason!

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Played like a pro considering the Kyy Otsassa matter. ("Pissed off" in Canadian English, "pissed" in weird Murican English.) Didn't look happy playing and that's when trouble starts. No matter how pro. JMHO, to be sure.

Please explain and offer support for your assertion/humble opinion.

Babooch

Jan 7, 2014
Jets had no reliable system to move the puck consistently out of their own end. Blues took away the wall and the release back behind the net. Jets could not move the puck quickly enough. You can't say the Jets disnt work hard enough. They just spent too much time and energy in their own zone.

ocdaddy

Nov 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Jets had no reliable system to move the puck consistently out of their own end. Blues took away the wall and the release back behind the net. Jets could not move the puck quickly enough. You can't say the Jets disnt work hard enough. They just spent too much time and energy in their own zone.
Well put, and I agree. So would you blame the coach or players for that?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad