More pts this season: Marchand, Stamkos, Marner, or P Kane

More points this season

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Who cares about looking into the underlying stats? All that matters to HF is that Marner didn't crack 70 points last year, so he's basically a good 2nd liner.
This is where HF are hypocritical towards the Leafs players if you are not a fan of them.

Mitch Marner has had 3 straight seasons of 30+ assists, however since he has not yet cracked 70 points he's nothing special.

Auston Matthews gets consistent bashing because he has not yet had at least 30 assists in his career.

Reactions: DriveFor9th

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
this is looking like a very bad take. someone betting the opposite of your opinion would do very,very well
Nah Stamkos still balling out

I definitely underestimated Marner though. He’s taken it to a new level this year.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Its interesting to me how there aren't any "he plays with Bergeron and Pastrnak" posts here. Marchand plays on the BEST line in hockey, and hes a top 3 LW in the entire league.

I just do not see how anyone could take Marner here, despite his undeniable talent. Its Marchands to lose IMO
Once again I realize it's only December 29, 2018 but as of today Marner currently has 53 points and Marchand only has 41 points. Plus so far this season Marchand has not yet been suspended so you can not use that as an excuse unlike last season. If anything this proves a lot of non Leafs fans severely doubted what Marner can do point wise.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Once again I realize it's only December 29, 2018 but as of today Marner currently has 53 points and Marchand only has 41 points. Plus so far this season Marchand has not yet been suspended so you can not use that as an excuse unlike last season. If anything this proves a lot of non Leafs fans severely doubted what Marner can do point wise.

To me it was more about the position two outstanding offensive talents were projected to be in before the season. That line was/is unstoppable.

Clearly I've been wrong so far, but theres a lot of season to go. Lets revisit this poll after the season and see where we're at (not because I think Marner won't keep producing, but Marchand has Bergeron back now and hopefully makes a run at it).

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
90 points in his last 71 games. maybe it's time for those people to admit that the problem lies with them evaluating Leafs players, rather than other people overrating them

Marchand had 102 points in 80 games last year including playoffs, basically the same pace.

Marner was and is an outstanding player, but people picking Marchand didn't exactly base it off of nothing.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Crazy Monkey

Aug 9, 2009
Marchand had 102 points in 80 games last year including playoffs, basically the same pace.

Marner was and is an outstanding player, but people picking Marchand didn't exactly base it off of nothing.

It has nothing to do with people picking Marchand.

It has to do with how poorly non Leafs fans had evaluated Marner's talent/potential prior to this season.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
2 of those players were in the top 10 and 3 of them have been in the top 10

One of them has never reached 70 points

Marner should have the least amount t of votes if you're a rational person
heh..

Can somebody teach this guy what the word "projecting" means...

But funny, Leaf fans bang on about their player yet again, other three were definitely rational understandable picks as well, but funny to read the posts saying Marner didn't belong. Anyone who has watched a lick of him in junior or in the NHL and also isn't a brick in evaluating hockey talent could tell you he had this type of potential.

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
Marner and Tavares are a great duo, marner has the elite skating and vision and Tavares has the touch. This seems to be the new nhl need guys as good as each other on a line to be in an art ross race. Unless you are mcdavid of course. But he’s just a different animal all together. Very happy with marners game tho everyone was calling him patty kane 2.0 a couple of years ago and they might be right. What a team Toronto is assembling. This is their chance. Exciting times for them fans

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
It has nothing to do with people picking Marchand.

It has to do with how poorly non Leafs fans had evaluated Marner's talent/potential prior to this season.

It has everything to do with Marchand, because I thought Marchand would be in a better position to succeed than Marner.

Marchand isn't having the fantastic year I thought he would have.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Too early for victory laps here.. Bad look for some Leaf fans still half a season to go. All it takes is a slow 2nd half for Marner (historically he has a better 2nd half than first but I doubt that happens this year given his production and the lines PDO) and it comes back on people.

With that said, it was obvious that people were out to lunch over the summer regarding this but this is offseason HF for you. 4 years in a row of being dead wrong about the Leafs in a lot of these threads but people still act like it is Leaf fans who are out to lunch on their predictions.

I think it's Marner / Kane and then the rest but let's not forget how crazy the 2nd half of Bostons year was last season... Marchand can come back and win it.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Same. Only 3 points back now and his underlying numbers are a lot more sustainable than Marner's.

I could be wrong but I think Marner is atleast as good as Kane now plus has better linemates. The main advantage Kane has going for him is he averages 18:11 of ES time and 3:42 of powerplay time without killing penalties (2 seconds there per game), and Marner averages 15:57 ES, 2:38 PP and :55 on the PK. I know people will say this doesn't automatically result in more points but I think in most cases it would lead to more production for elite players around the 20 minute mark.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I could be wrong but I think Marner is atleast as good as Kane now plus has better linemates. The main advantage Kane has going for him is he averages 18:11 of ES time and 3:42 of powerplay time without killing penalties (2 seconds there per game), and Marner averages 15:57 ES, 2:38 PP and :55 on the PK. I know people will say this doesn't automatically result in more points but I think in most cases it would lead to more production.

I think Kane's still a slightly more dangerous offensive player due to being the better shooter. His extra minutes help, but unless Marner's minutes are going to go up, that's just a point in his favour if we're simply looking at who will end up with more points. I think the big question with Kane is whether the Hawks being out of the playoffs will lead to him coasting and tanking at the end of the year the way the team seemed to last year.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I think Kane's still a slightly more dangerous offensive player due to being the better shooter. His extra minutes help, but unless Marner's minutes are going to go up, that's just a point in his favour if we're simply looking at who will end up with more points. I think the big question with Kane is whether the Hawks being out of the playoffs will lead to him coasting and tanking at the end of the year the way the team seemed to last year.

The way Marner has been playing this season to me he seems as good as any version of Kane besides his peak season and some playoff runs. There are many players who are better shooters than Marner who aren't better players. Even if Kane outscored him he is far from the defensive player Marner is at this point, Marner is just better overall now.

dukeofjive

Jul 7, 2013
whistler b.c
Wake me up when the season is over. I voted marchand cause hes had a couple elites seasons under is belt already, just an fyi marner is my second favorite player in the league.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
The way Marner has been playing this season to me he seems as good as any version of Kane besides his peak season and some playoff runs. There are many players who are better shooters than Marner who aren't better players. Even if Kane outscored him he is far from the defensive player Marner is at this point, Marner is just better overall now.

There's definitely lots of shooters Marner is better than, but Kane's the better shooter and creates just as much for others, which I think pushes him ahead offensively still. Maybe Marner's defense puts him ahead overall, but I don't know if winger defense matters enough for that. It's certainly close though.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
There's definitely lots of shooters Marner is better than, but Kane's the better shooter and creates just as much for others, which I think pushes him ahead offensively still. Maybe Marner's defense puts him ahead overall, but I don't know if winger defense matters enough for that. It's certainly close though.

I think it does when they're this close offensively. Kane is an average defensive winger at best and Marner has been one of the best defensive wingers this season especially among the elite offensive ones.

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
uhm... from 2003 - 2016 they were. Then they got a bubble playoff team for a couple years. Then ... well, we'll see. ? I think if winning at least one playoff round in 15 years should be the minimum requirement of trash talking. Toronto's got a decent to good team now (possibly very good) ... how about you just enjoy it a bit instead of telling the rest of us how good they are (at least, y'know, until they actually are) because the 'woe is me' 'haters' 'this is the year' yada yada yada from T.O. fans has gotten pretty stale over the past few decades for those of us that know there's other teams in the league.

And yes. I for one will be surprised if Marner is within 20 points of Marchand by the end of the year.

So will I. Marchand better really pick it up if he plans on being within 20 points of Marner at the end of the season. Very astute observation. Kudos on the Marner love good sir

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad