Jan 22, 2017
Assuming they play 82 games
Marchand-91
Kane-89
Stamkos-84
Marner-77

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
This is marchand to lose, unless he misses a lot of games this year.

I don't think people have noticed how much he's scoring nowadays.
Since New Years '17 (when Bergeron got healthy) he's actually second in PPG behind only McDavid. He's actually closer to McDavid in PPG than he is to third place Malkin. - it's pretty surprising.

If that line stays together (big if) and all play pretty close to full seasons (bigger if) and if he doesn't get suspended (biggest if) I think he's one of only 3-4 players that could challenge McDavid - especially if the Bruins get even close to league average of power plays because that first unit is deadly.

Marchand more deserves to be in a poll with McKinnon, Malkin and Kucherov.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
When you burn your hand in a fire, do you put your hand back in the fire?

LoL, tons of non-Leaf fans are wrong about the Leafs all the time (shouldn't the Leafs still be bottom feeders? Isn't Buffalo way ahead in their rebuild? etc.). Maybe it's time some of you stopped putting your hands in fires, and stop thinking that everything that happened in the past is also what happens in the future.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
2 of those players were in the top 10 and 3 of them have been in the top 10

One of them has never reached 70 points

Marner should have the least amount t of votes if you're a rational person
I wonder what those rational people were thinking when Matthews outscored Ovechkin getting 40 goals in his rookie season.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
LoL, tons of non-Leaf fans are wrong about the Leafs all the time (shouldn't the Leafs still be bottom feeders? Isn't Buffalo way ahead in their rebuild? etc.). Maybe it's time some of you stopped putting your hands in fires, and stop thinking that everything that happened in the past is also what happens in the future.

"Non leafs fans are wrong all the time"
Including leafs fans

History repeats itself

Every year Toronto is supposed to have the best players and the best team and then they either don't make the playoffs or get eliminated first round

It was fun when the leafs would taunt the jets fans with "worry about winning a playoff game first"

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
"Non leafs fans are wrong all the time"
Including leafs fans

History repeats itself

Every year Toronto is supposed to have the best players and the best team and then they either don't make the playoffs or get eliminated first round

It was fun when the leafs would taunt the jets fans with "worry about winning a playoff game first"

Kinda like how it's "fun" that non-Leaf fans always use the highly original "win a playoff series" line, right?

You're not any better than them by doing the exact same type of stuff. You're all digging yourselves holes by constantly proclaiming that certain things will never happen, simply because of what happened in the past, and when it inevitably does happen, you all look foolish and short-sighted.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Best examples was all those people saying Mike Babcock would not agree to coach in Toronto and John Tavares would not sign with them as a UFA.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005

uhm... from 2003 - 2016 they were. Then they got a bubble playoff team for a couple years. Then ... well, we'll see. ? I think if winning at least one playoff round in 15 years should be the minimum requirement of trash talking. Toronto's got a decent to good team now (possibly very good) ... how about you just enjoy it a bit instead of telling the rest of us how good they are (at least, y'know, until they actually are) because the 'woe is me' 'haters' 'this is the year' yada yada yada from T.O. fans has gotten pretty stale over the past few decades for those of us that know there's other teams in the league.

And yes. I for one will be surprised if Marner is within 20 points of Marchand by the end of the year.

Raymoondo

Leafs Cup 2021
Apr 9, 2013
Toronto
Heard that Pastrnak might not be playing with Marchand/Bergeron anymore so hopefully Kane can take over that top spot

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
uhm... from 2003 - 2016 they were. Then they got a bubble playoff team for a couple years. Then ... well, we'll see. ? I think if winning at least one playoff round in 15 years should be the minimum requirement of trash talking. Toronto's got a decent to good team now (possibly very good) ... how about you just enjoy it a bit instead of telling the rest of us how good they are (at least, y'know, until they actually are) because the 'woe is me' 'haters' 'this is the year' yada yada yada from T.O. fans has gotten pretty stale over the past few decades for those of us that know there's other teams in the league.

And yes. I for one will be surprised if Marner is within 20 points of Marchand by the end of the year.

Ah yes, Canucks fans are such saints aren't they?

And geez, 20 points? You must either think Marner scores less than 70 points this season, or Marchand gets over 100. Pretty bold prediction either way. If you're right, I'll eat my shoe.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005

And geez, 20 points? You must either think Marner scores less than 70 points this season, or Marchand gets over 100. Pretty bold prediction either way. If you're right, I'll eat my shoe.

Marchand put up 85 points in 68 games last year. - decent chance he would've hit the century mark in the extra 14 games. If he plays a full season and Pasta stays on the line... I think 20 points is a pretty fair guess.

I think Marner and Tavares could be great together if that's how the lines shape up but at the moment Marchand is two tiers above Marner and a good tier above JT.

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
Marchand put up 85 points in 68 games last year. - decent chance he would've hit the century mark in the extra 14 games. If he plays a full season and Pasta stays on the line... I think 20 points is a pretty fair guess.

I think Marner and Tavares could be great together if that's how the lines shape up but at the moment Marchand is two tiers above Marner and a good tier above JT.

Alright, I'm personally thinking it was a career year for Marchand, and even though I expect him to be one of the best wingers in the game for at least a few more years, I'll be surprised if he can play at a 100+ point pace that whole time.

I also think Marner and Tavares are going to elevate each others play, and this whole Marchand being 1-2 tiers above opinion is not going to look good by the end of this season.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I honestly think there's a good chance Marner takes this... :dunno:

Steeze

Dazed Dilettante.
Jul 23, 2015
Marchand, assuming he doesn't get suspended at some point.

Marner is going to feast on the loaded up power play this year though, so maybe him.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Alright, I'm personally thinking it was a career year for Marchand, and even though I expect him to be one of the best wingers in the game for at least a few more years, I'll be surprised if he can play at a 100+ point pace that whole time.

I also think Marner and Tavares are going to elevate each others play, and this whole Marchand being 1-2 tiers above opinion is not going to look good by the end of this season.

Had a pepsi in me typing last night and shouldn't have gone after the Leafs. I really like both Tavares and Marner. JT has always been one of my faves and Marner is one of my favourite players in the league. I like watching him more than Matthews, Laine, Draisatl, etc. The only kid I find as fun to watch is Pastrnak. I think JT and Mitch could do a lot of damage.

However, I honestly think Marchand is in that top tier. He's up there. If Pasta stays on that line it's simply all kinds of scary. He's having this kind of Marty St. Louis renaissance. It's been going on for about two and a half seasons - why he went from being a question mark for Team Canada to being on the top line and arguably their best player. On the Bruins it also has a lot to do with usage (more offensive zone face-offs, the addition of Pastrnak, and finally some power play time)

If I had to lay down money either way on an over-under between him and Marner right now - anything under 15 I take Marchand.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Marner has a great chance playing on the same line with Tavares.

yeah and he had 53pts in 53 games to end the year, mostly with kadri

now he is gonna be on a PP with tavares and matthews instead of jvr and bozak. watch out

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
It wouldn't be outrageous for Marner to do it (though he should be considered the least likely), but I really don't understand so many people bringing up Tavares as the reason given the linemates Marchand and Stamkos frequently have

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

I believe Marchand gets 100 the past season easily without missing the games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad