More likely to win an NHL scoring title - Matthews or Marner?

Marner or Matthews?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
What assist range do you see Matthews producing at regularly in his prime? Not necessarily his peak season, but over say a 5 or 6 year prime span, more often than not he'll finish with what range of assists?
it's hard to say really. Like with every player, it is heavily dependent on luck and opportunity. I think if he was rewarded with optimal conditions and good luck, 55-60 assists wouldn't be out of the question, although I don't think that will be the case. somewhere in the 40-50 range seems reasonable to me, likely closer to 40-45. Although, he could easily change up his playstyle and get more assists and fewer goals too

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I was simply replying to you saying that the reason Hyman had more assists than Marleau is because he played with Matthews. All I did was show that he literally had the same results playing away from Matthews than he did playing with him. Sure, it's a small sample size, but it's better than anything you provided. Do you have any statistics to back up your claim other than "I watch the games"? If so, I'm all ears.

Marleau had 16 ES assists in the entire season and you're putting down Hyman for 6 in 20 games? There were 210 players in the NHL last season with more ES assists than Marleau, most of which played with worse linemates. Again, this isn't 2006, Marleau isn't the same player he once was.

Once again, it's too small of a sample size. You can't draw any kind of reasonable conclusions from 20 games, I think that's pretty obvious. He had more even strength ice time, played with Matthews 3/4 of the season, and had 12 less goals and 5 more assists. That hardly sounds like being a clearly better playmaker to me and probably most others who actually watch them much.

Last edited:

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Neither but Marner is far more dynamic. He will score goals himself and set guys up better than matthews will. Matthews will develop a strong 2way game that seperate their games.

mattydamon

May 2, 2011
Victoria, BC
I think Matthews has a pretty solid shot at the Rocket over the next probably 10 years, but I can't see him taking the art ross.

Marner could possible score more points playing with JT and being the playmaker he is - if he can find consistency on that line I could see both players being PPG.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Neither but Marner is far more dynamic. He will score goals himself and set guys up better than matthews will. Matthews will develop a strong 2way game that seperate their games.

Not sure that is true so far, not the goal scoring anyway. Overall Matthews has been the better offensive, defensive and possession player so far and he's younger. I would personally not feel comfortable betting on Marner becoming the better offensive player.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
There should be a neither option. If the question were "who will put up more points in their best season" I would probably say Marner

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Once again, it's too small of a sample size. You can't draw any kind of reasonable conclusions from 20 games, I think that's pretty obvious. He had more even strength ice time, played with Matthews 3/4 of the season, and had 12 less goals and 5 more assists. That hardly sounds like being a clearly better playmaker to me and probably most others who actually watch them much.
You're right, you probably can't draw any conclusions from a 20 game sample. What you can do is dispell any claims that Hyman's assist totals are a direct result of playing with Matthews. Regardless of the sample size, when Hyman has almost the exact same production (slightly better) without Matthews, at the very least we can say that your claim that Matthews boosts Hymans assist totals is baseless. Unless you have something to back up the claim, then I'm all ears.

You seem to be conveniently ignoring the fact that I'm talking about ES numbers since that's all that matters when we're talking about Marleau replacing Hyman on Matthews line. Hyman actually played less ES time (almost identical ES TOI) than Marleau and had 8 more assists. Marleau had 16 assists, Hyman had 24 assists. That's 50% more for Hyman which is significant no matter how you want to swing it.

Even if you want to say that Marleau and Hyman switching lines is going to give Marleau a boost and Hyman some trouble, it's extremely unlikely that Marleau puts up more assists at ES than Hyman did this past year considering Marleau has only put up more than 24 assists in a season 3 times in 20 years with a career high of 28 which was 13 years ago. He's averaged just 22 a year throughout his career and at 39 it's unlikely he has some big resurgence.

Reactions: Trilliann

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Man, I watch the players every game. Marleau is better in every conceivable way short of forechecking and holding the puck along the boards and doing nothing with it.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Man, I watch the players every game. Marleau is better in every conceivable way short of forechecking and holding the puck along the boards and doing nothing with it.
That cool and all but the numbers simply do not support what your eyes see. Hyman has almost doubled Marleau's ES assist totals over the last two seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad