More likely to win an NHL scoring title - Matthews or Marner?

Marner or Matthews?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I don't believe he will, although it wouldn't be totally outlandish if he did either. Matthews has scored at a higher pace than Marner in each of their first two seasons while being leaned on more heavily and facing tougher competition, not sure why so many insist Marner will be the better point producer.

Matthews is a man. Marner is still getting stronger. As he got stronger he got better. A full year with an elite center and top PP time will mean he is nearing 100 pts.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Matthews is a man. Marner is still getting stronger. As he got stronger he got better. A full year with an elite center and top PP time will mean he is nearing 100 pts.

I hope you're right and like I said I wouldn't rule him out of becoming the slightly better point producer, but people are really underrating Matthews' potential if they are betting on Marner becoming a flat out better offensive player, IMO. Wait until he gets a full healthy season now (knock on wood) with more PP usage and not glued to Hyman, I think big things could happen. He has not reached his peak ability yet either despite being developed physically.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Nope not what I meant. Matthews will always be the better goal scorer. I am expecting maybe 85-88 point year from him. Marner I am expecting 90 as a floor with 95-100 being a reality.
you're expecting 90 points from Marner at worst? Well I'd love to see it but that's a bit much

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Nope not what I meant. Matthews will always be the better goal scorer. I am expecting maybe 85-88 point year from him. Marner I am expecting 90 as a floor with 95-100 being a reality.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Haatley and Yasuo

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
AM maybe for Rocket.....maybe.

Art Ross......neither have a chance.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
How are we bringing up Matthews playmaking ability and assist total?

Dude plays with Hyman....who...is a very useful hockey player but a finisher he is not.

Babcock has said it will be Marleau Matthews Nylander next year so expect those assist totals to sky rocket

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Babcock has said it will be Marleau Matthews Nylander next year so expect those assist totals to sky rocket
Why would replacing a 40 point player with a 45-50 point player make Matthews' assist totals sky rocket? Marleau and Hyman had the exact same ES points last season. I know Marleau is a sexy name so it looks great on paper but he's not the player he once was and I wouldn't expect a 39 year old to have some big resurgence.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Why would replacing a 40 point player with a 45-50 point player make Matthews' assist totals sky rocket? Marleau and Hyman had the exact same ES points last season. I know Marleau is a sexy name so it looks great on paper but he's not the player he once was and I wouldn't expect a 39 year old to have some big resurgence.

Unlike Hyman Marleau can finish, his 27 goals last season prove that

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Unlike Hyman Marleau can finish, his 27 goals last season prove that
So I assume you also agree that Matthews goal totals will go down then, right? You can't have it both ways and say that Marleau is going to help his assist totals because he can score but not agree that his goal scoring will probably go down playing with a guy that's averaged less than 12 ES assists a year over the last 3 seasons instead of Hyman who has averaged almost twice as many. I think playing with Marleau will be a good thing for Matthews and I think he has a great year but I think people get a little carried away when reading name Marleau because they instantly think of a high end top line player but that's just not what he is anymore.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I like how people assume Matthews will never put up big assist totals. The kid has played 2 seasons but everyone is very certain what he can't do.

Stamkos had more goals than assists pretty much every year until this past season. Then he put up 27 goals, 59 assists. Players adapt and change. Usage and linemates change.

I dont think anyone has said that he wont put up big assist totals, just that they likely wont ever be high enough to win the art ross. If he changes his game enough that he becomes a playmaker moreso, I doubt his goals stay where they are at. Even Stamkos in his firt 3 seasons put up 44 and 46 assists. Matthews evenback then played differently from Stamkos though.

I think without Hyman, Matthews would get more assists. But it looks like he still might be playing with him for a bit. He also doesnt play a game that makes me think hes going to be a big playmaker though. Hes in around the net doing things that goalscorers do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad