More likely to win an NHL scoring title - Matthews or Marner?

Marner or Matthews?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dukeofjive

Jul 7, 2013
whistler b.c
I love marner, hes becoming one of my favorite players, but i have to go with mathews here, proven himself more of a goal scorer than marner at this point in there careers

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Are you talking art ross or richard? I think Marner because Matthews will never have the playmaking ability to make up enough ground on other leaders. Matthews has a legit shot at multiple Richards but wont have the assist numbers to beat out McDavid and alot of the other young talents in the league. Mackinnon is still young, Stamkos, Scheifele, even Eichel when the sabres get their shit together might have a better shot at the art ross. I would bet on Matthews to lead that group in Richards though.

I dont really think Marner will win any rosses but I think in a year with alot of PP assists he could be more likely than AM

Reactions: stl76

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Matthews really needs to improve on his playmaking and assists if he wants to win an Art Ross. Historically Art Ross winners have much better assist to goals ratio. I think he has an excellent shot at a Rocket though.
Marner? Let’s wait until he sniffs a point a game first. He hasn’t come close so I doubt that he wins a scoring title. Not saying it couldn’t happen. Just seems far fetched at this point.
Barring injury, I think McDavid will win a few more and be tough to beat.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Coin flip.

People keep bringing up Matthews play making lol, the only real hampers to his production is not being on the top pp or getting top pp minutes and low secondary assists(out of his control).

He’s 3rd overall in the nhl for P/60 at 5 on 5 so he’s already in the elite of the elite for scoring ability. (500 mins)

Matthews is so low on secondary assists, he averages a lot of shot assists and dangerous shot assists.

Of all the players that had as much PP time per average as Matthews(or lower), not a single one had a higher points per game average last year(over 50 games).

Every single player that had a higher points per game average than Matthews got much more time on the PP, and likely on their teams top PP unit.

If Matthews and Marner both play together, especially on the PP, they might both crack 100 points some years if things go their way.

Reactions: HoBOonFiRE

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Richard - Matthews
Art Ross - Neither barring McDavid injury and if that does happen, probably Marner.

Marner, imo, is more diverse with his offence. Seems to have multiple weapons. Plus, he's the better playmaker of the two so will likely generate more points alone based off that.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
How are we bringing up Matthews playmaking ability and assist total?

Dude plays with Hyman....who...is a very useful hockey player but a finisher he is not.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Neither will reach that pinnacle IMO but there seems to be a widespread misunderstanding of Matthews overall skill level. He's very much a capable playmaker.

Reactions: jasonleaffan

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Whenever someone says Matthews is not a good playmaker, it's nice to bring this article up:

Overall this season, Matthews has set Hyman up for 53 high danger chances that Hyman has put on net at five-on-five, the third-highest mark in the entire league after Connor McDavid and Matthews. Of those 53 high danger shots, Hyman has converted four of them. Considering that the expected shooting percentage from that area is 22.8 per cent, scoring on just 7.5 per cent of them is an incredible waste of opportunity.

Which Maple Leafs wingers are the best fit to play with Auston Matthews? - Sportsnet.ca

It's from March 2017. Don't have tracked data for 2018, to my knowledge.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180814-183447_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20180814-183447_Chrome.jpg
    342.7 KB · Views: 13

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
It will be interesting to see what happens once Marleau takes over for Hyman.

I love watching Marner, he pulls off some crazy stuff out there, but vs. a healthy Matthews, I have to give Matthews the edge.

Reactions: authentic

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I don't see why Matthews couldn't be in the ballpark of a player like Malkin with better linemates/more PP time.

Reactions: X66

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Marners line has one goal scorer...Tavares.

Matthews line has 3 now. Look for Matthews to pick up more assists this season.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I like how people assume Matthews will never put up big assist totals. The kid has played 2 seasons but everyone is very certain what he can't do.

Stamkos had more goals than assists pretty much every year until this past season. Then he put up 27 goals, 59 assists. Players adapt and change. Usage and linemates change.

Stamkos still isn't exactly known for his playmaking, and I'd guess people would assume he'll never win an Art Ross, either, because of his lack of overall playmaking ability. I'd say this year was an anomaly with regards to assists rather than Stamkos becoming an elite playmaker.

So I don't really think he's a good example to use to support Matthews' playmaking upside.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Stamkos still isn't exactly known for his playmaking, and I'd guess people would assume he'll never win an Art Ross, either, because of his lack of overall playmaking ability. I'd say this year was an anomaly with regards to assists rather than Stamkos becoming an elite playmaker.

So I don't really think he's a good example to use to support Matthews' playmaking upside.

It's not about Stamkos specifically or his chances at an Art Ross. It's merely an example of a player bucking peoples preconceived notions about their skillset.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
It will be interesting to see what happens once Marleau takes over for Hyman.

I love watching Marner, he pulls off some crazy stuff out there, but vs. a healthy Matthews, I have to give Matthews the edge.

A bit less puck possession but more goals is my guess.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Marner will outscore Matthews this season.

I don't believe he will, although it wouldn't be totally outlandish if he did either. Matthews has scored at a higher pace than Marner in each of their first two seasons while being leaned on more heavily and facing tougher competition, not sure why so many insist Marner will be the better point producer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad