HF Habs: Montreal's 2020 Draft Class (Immediate Thoughts?)

How would you grade the Habs 2020 draft class

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I gave it a C+. In my eyes we got two late first round picks with Guhle and Mysak. I am very excited about the Mysak pick. That's an A+ pick in my book. Guhle wasn't my guy, wasn't on my list for 16. I would have preferred Reichel and about 10 other guys to him. But he has some very nice traits: excellent skater, and he plays the game aggressively. My view is that he could turn out to be a player that you'd be pretty happy to have on your team, but not the kind of player you dream of drafting.

Biondi, Farrel and Gordin have some potential, but by in large it was a pretty disappointing night. Tuch is not a very talented player. Dobes is a goalie, and therefore worthless. Jack Smith, who the f*** asked for him?
Funny, I don't follow junior hockey that much but I share your sentiments exactly when it comes to our 2020 picks.

JuJu Mobb

Dec 9, 2009
We may regret not drafting Lapierre, but i understand the injury concerns.

Habs tried the homerun last year with Caufield, not surprised they went more conservative in this draft with the Guhle pick.

Mysak could be a gem. Don't know much about the NCAA players we drafted.

C

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
If Timmins has a knack for drafting D, why don't we draft and develop more of them and trade some of them for forward help? I don't think that this is rocket science?
Because it's a myth that he has a knack for drafting d-men. Counting only 16 of his drafts he has drafted how many stud d-men? Of course the last two years look like he has struck gold but that may be only because we haven't had enough time to see them burn out.

Top level
Sergachev
P.K.
McDonagh

Okay
Streit
Weber

Meh Level
Mete
Emelin
O'Byrne
Beaulieu

Wait and See
Romonov
Harris
Juulsen
Brook
Fleury

Busts
Walford
Tyszka
Staum
Henrikson
Bourque
Nygren
Thrower
Lernout
Koberstein
Dietz
Sullivan
Didier
Tinordi
Ellis
Stejskel
Bennett
Torp
Kishel
Paquet
Carle
Cepek
Valentenko
Gleed
Lemelin
Flood
Korpikari
Fischer

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
Because it's a myth that he has a knack for drafting d-men. Counting only 16 of his drafts he has drafted how many stud d-men? Of course the last two years look like he has struck gold but that may be only because we haven't had enough time to see them burn out.

Top level
Sergachev
P.K.
McDonagh

Okay
Streit
Weber

Meh Level
Mete
Emelin
O'Byrne
Beaulieu

Wait and See
Romonov
Harris
Juulsen
Brook
Fleury

Busts
Walford
Tyszka
Staum
Henrikson
Bourque
Nygren
Thrower
Lernout
Koberstein
Dietz
Sullivan
Didier
Tinordi
Ellis
Stejskel
Bennett
Torp
Kishel
Paquet
Carle
Cepek
Valentenko
Gleed
Lemelin
Flood
Korpikari
Fischer

To be fair, I'm sure we can do that kind of list for every scout in the league. A vast majority of players picked are busts.

Reactions: dralaf

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
To be fair, I'm sure we can do that kind of list for every scout in the league. A vast majority of players picked are busts.
Forget the busts I entered them just for laughs. In 16 drafts he picked three stud d-men. That's not the record of a d-men expert.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site

Top level
Sergachev
P.K.
McDonagh

Okay
Streit
Weber

Meh Level
Mete
Emelin
O'Byrne
Beaulieu

Wait and See
Romonov
Harris
Juulsen
Brook
Fleury

Busts
Walford
Tyszka
Staum
Henrikson
Bourque
Nygren
Thrower
Lernout
Koberstein
Dietz
Sullivan
Didier
Tinordi
Ellis
Stejskel
Bennett
Torp
Kishel
Paquet
Carle
Cepek
Valentenko
Gleed
Lemelin
Flood
Korpikari
Fischer
That because we had even less luck with FW... so it seem we only hit on D.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
... who else ? that is very thin over a 17 year period with TT at the helm of scouting. Sergachev was an easy pick to do.

Price, McDonagh, Sergachev who was not what I would call an easy pick at 9th OA if there even is such a thing.

The problem is he's made too many mistakes and missed on too many high end players but the list is long of where the Habs have gone wrong or else we wouldn't be in the shit since '93.

CoopersFalls

Director of Armchair Operations
Mar 5, 2010
Central Ontario
The more I look at this draft, I like it.

would have liked to use a few more of our picks instead of trading for next year but other than that, solid. The goalie pick is the only one I don’t really like.

Reactions: Redux91

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
Really liked our draft based on our first three picks.

Guhle: We had nobody like him in our defensemen pool on the left side. Size, strength, aggressive, shot, speed, he has many qualities you want for a defenseman. Very excited to follow his progression next year. Could be on team Canada at the WJC in his D+1 season. Romanov, Guhle and Struble could be very intimidating as a LD trio in the future. Guhle should be a major upgrade on Chiarot and Edmunston is 4-5 years.

Tuch: I think we needed a prospect like him in the fold. It's clear that the Habs will need to build a specific line to suit a small but talented player like Caufield. That line will have to involve two big bodies, one of which will likely be KK. The other one will be the left-handed winger on the line. I think Poehling is a possible candidate (great passer), but since he might slot at center, Tuch could be that guy.

Mysak: My target in the draft was Amirov, because a skilled left-handed winger prospect was needed IMO. Getting Mysak late in the second round was a real nice and unexpected gift. He has a lot of work in front of him to make it, but it's nice to have that possibility.

Good job Habs!

Reactions: dralaf and Redux91

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Two things I really love about both Biondi and Gordin, they're big bodies who are real good skaters. They're both mobile. And also, both have a nose for the net. Can't wait to see Biondi on the next level in NCAA. And I also hope Gordin doesn't spend too much time in the MHL.

Reactions: Habs76

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Two things I really love about both Biondi and Gordin, they're big bodies who are real good skaters. They're both mobile. And also, both have a nose for the net. Can't wait to see Biondi on the next level in NCAA. And I also hope Gordin doesn't spend too much time in the MHL.

Both need to work alot on their skating, but arent hopeless... If they can improve it to the point its not a weakness at the NHL level, you have there 2 guys with very high upside, I agree...

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Both need to work alot on their skating, but arent hopeless... If they can improve it to the point its not a weakness at the NHL level, you have there 2 guys with very high upside, I agree...

I've been burned by tying too much hope to long shot late rounders. I'm slowly learning my lesson.

THAT being said! lol. Gordin, Biondi and Farell actually look like they have upside. Haven't seen enough of Biondi but I like what I'm hearing. I think Farell has a legit shot. He seems like the Gallagher pick.

Gordin's upside looks great but I don't have much hope there. I don't categorically hate outlandish cellies but that mic drop thing just screamed bust to me lol. Still I love that kind of pick in the 6th round.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I've been burned by tying too much hope to long shot late rounders. I'm slowly learning my lesson.

THAT being said! lol. Gordin, Biondi and Farell actually look like they have upside. Haven't seen enough of Biondi but I like what I'm hearing. I think Farell has a legit shot. He seems like the Gallagher pick.

Gordin's upside looks great but I don't have much hope there. I don't categorically hate outlandish cellies but that mic drop thing just screamed bust to me lol. Still I love that kind of pick in the 6th round.
Gordin has amazing shooting skills, has great hands and good vision, but more I watch him, more I think his skating is brutal... Well, I would say he plays at a very slow pace, thats for sure...

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Is this your channel?

yes, i thought I would create some clips so fans that can't watch the games get to see some of the action

Biondi's skating needs some work, Smith looks the much better skater.

Reactions: Wayfarer13

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Not our prospect, but it's impressive what Yegor Chinakhov has been doing so far in the KHL.

Maybe Columbus actually knew what they were doing.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
yeah I got the feeling it was a PLD like move.
Yeah, I personally don't like judging picks when I'm not familiar with the player, so I was probably tougher on the Guhle pick than I was on the Chinakhov pick, though I *understood* the Guhle pick a lot better.

It's beginning to make complete sense though. And anyways, with Jarmo you just learn to expect the unexpected.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
I just don't get taking D or G in the first round. The draft is a crapshoot with one indicator that predicts future suceess: scoring. If you take the highest scoring forward available, corrected for leagues, historically you would do better than most GMs. There are exceptions, some can't miss stellar D like Hedman, but generally just pick based on production. Doing otherwise is just asking to be outdrafted by teams that put in less effort. If we'd picked 9th we would have had the choice of two scorers who fell. I hope Guhle works out, but if you only have one really indicative piece of data you should use it.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00