HF Habs: Montreal's 2020 Draft Class (Immediate Thoughts?)

How would you grade the Habs 2020 draft class

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

- 1st Round -
16th: Kaiden Guhle
(Prince Albert Raiders - WHL)

- 2nd Round -
47th: Luke Tuch
(Boston University - NCAA)

48th: Jan Mysak (Hamilton Bulldogs - OHL)

- 4th Round -
102nd: Jack Smith
(Sioux Falls Stampede - USHL)
*committed to University of Minnesota-Duluth*

109th: Blake Biondi (University of Minnesota-Duluth - NCAA)

124th: Sean Farrell (Harvard University - NCAA)

- 5th Round -
136th: Jakub Dobes
(Omaha Lancers - USHL)

- 6th Round -
171st: Alexander Gordin
(SKA-Neva St. Petersburg - VHL)

Fresh after the draft, what are your thoughts? Who are you happy they took? Who don't you like from their selections?

Last edited:

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I always hope for the best but 3/4 of these guys will never play one NHL game based on averages.

Time will tell

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Forwards isn't Timmins strong suite.

But all we need is 1 forward to become top 6 and Guhle to pan out for it to be an excellent draft.

It takes Timmins a lot of picks to get 1 top six forward. Well he got 6 forwards today, including 2 in the 2nd round...

Frank JT

Feb 8, 2014
Hate the trade of our 57th pick for 4rth and 2nd 2021(Tampa)
Liked the 4rth for a 3rd 2021(San Jose) : could become a early third.
I don't feel that Timmins selected the best players available with every pick : why a D in the first, and forwards after that (except a G)? Like last year (Caufield, and 4 LD after)?
Like the Mysak, Farrell, Giondi.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Guhle: Good and safe pick (NHL'er)
Tuch: Another good and safe pick (I see him as a NHL'er also)
Mysak: Great pick at that rank. Skills.
Smith: 1st WTF pick (not saying it won't be good, but surprising nonetheless
Biondi: Great pick at that rank (though nothing is sure as far as NHL enough or not)
Ferrell; Great pick at that rank, great value (though nothing is sure as far as NHL enough or not)
Dobes: 2nd WTF pick
Gordin: 3rd WTF pick, another Khisatmudinov type of pick.

In the end, a B. Nothing great. I think we assured ourselves to get at least 2 NHL'ers. Not sure how great they will be. Too many WTF for me. But again, not judging the players themselves, I haven't seen them at all in Dobes and Gordin. And not enough in Smith.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
McGuire's been talking about these American high school kids/USHL kids in this draft for a couple years now.

Says there will be a lot of Jake Evan's even Brayden point type of prospects take innthe 4th and 5th rounds that will play in the league in 4, 5 years.

Well we took 4 such prospects from that pool.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
MOAR SIZE full filled.

Habs did exactly what I asked for. Big, fast bodies who play physical in this draft. So f***ing happy we went in this direction and finally joined the contending teams and playoff teams built around big, fast players who are hard to play against and make opposition lives hell. Keep it up!

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Guhle: Good and safe pick (NHL'er)
Tuch: Another good and safe pick (I see him as a NHL'er also)
Mysak: Great pick at that rank. Skills.
Smith: 1st WTF pick (not saying it won't be good, but surprising nonetheless
Biondi: Great pick at that rank (though nothing is sure as far as NHL enough or not)
Ferrell; Great pick at that rank, great value (though nothing is sure as far as NHL enough or not)
Dobes: 2nd WTF pick
Gordin: 3rd WTF pick, another Khisatmudinov type of pick.

In the end, a B. Nothing great. I think we assured ourselves to get at least 2 NHL'ers. Not sure how great they will be. Too many WTF for me. But again, not judging the players themselves, I haven't seen them at all in Dobes and Gordin. And not enough in Smith.

Gordin, though, looks like a natural goal scorer.

Reactions: jaffy27

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
McGuire's been talking about these American high school kids/USHL kids in this draft for a couple years now.

Says there will be a lot of Jake Evan's even Brayden point type of prospects take innthe 4th and 5th rounds that will play in the league in 4, 5 years.

Well we took 4 such prospects from that pool.

sooooo...we now got a STEALTH scout?

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Kind of a weird draft in that they didn't go in any of the directions I expected and didn't pick a lot of the better ranked guys that were slipping (that I thought they should take). With that said, in the end I really like two of the picks ( Guhle and Mysak) and I can see decent upside in three of the others (Farrell, Blondi and Tuch) so it could turn out good. Gordin , Smith and the goalie are total wild cards ( but I did read good things about Smith FWIW ) . C+ to B- I guess ?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad