HF Habs: Montreal's 2020 Draft Class (Immediate Thoughts?)

How would you grade the Habs 2020 draft class

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Here's the audio of the Timmins chat with Marinaro from earlier this morning on TSN690 discussing the Habs draft.

Timmons: We have no bias against players in the Q

At around the 14 minute mark is when Marinaro brings up the question about the lack of players drafted from the Q. Interesting listen.

The only players Timmins have bias against are the players that are good... like players that will help team win cups and stuff. That's where I see the bias.

jiboy

la game dans la game
May 2, 2007
It's really hard to find blue chipper with a mid first round pick ...

But i have strong feeling that Ghule is gonna become one

With one pick sure , with 10-15 picks its way more likely. Theres 2-3 good players every year in round 4-5. If we have 4-5 picks in those rounds every year we will hit at some point.

I like most of the players we tried ..

Fonstad
McShane
Pitlick
Stapley

No shame at missing when you aim for skilled players with one big lacking attribute.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I gave it a C+. In my eyes we got two late first round picks with Guhle and Mysak. I am very excited about the Mysak pick. That's an A+ pick in my book. Guhle wasn't my guy, wasn't on my list for 16. I would have preferred Reichel and about 10 other guys to him. But he has some very nice traits: excellent skater, and he plays the game aggressively. My view is that he could turn out to be a player that you'd be pretty happy to have on your team, but not the kind of player you dream of drafting.

Biondi, Farrel and Gordin have some potential, but by in large it was a pretty disappointing night. Tuch is not a very talented player. Dobes is a goalie, and therefore worthless. Jack Smith, who the f*** asked for him?

Reactions: The Great Weise

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
If Timmins has a knack for drafting D, why don't we draft and develop more of them and trade some of them for forward help? I don't think that this is rocket science?

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
The most interesting pick of the draft is Aatu Jämsen, IMO. Last year he was playing Finnish Jr B. This year he is destroying Finnish Jr A with 20 points in 9 games. Late birthday, just like Borgström. Hell, why not? Fun pick by L.A.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I give the overall draft a B-

Guhle isn't sexy but is solid.

Tuch was a meh pick for me. Understand the reason for the pick but not reasonably pumped.

Mysak was the best pick of the draft for us. Awesome value there, brings the grade up on Guhle for me.

Trading the 2nd rounder with the board was a dumb move.

Trading the highest 4th was pretty perplexing considering the board.

Jack Smith isn't someone I had any idea of, so I'll give a C grade.

Blake Biondi is a B+ grade at that spot.

Sean Farrell is an A pick at that spot. Love his game and upside despite height.

Jakub Dobes gets a C grade from me. Preferred Hlavaj still.

Alexander Gordin gets a B+ from me, the perfect 6th round gamble.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I don't know the picks yet, I'm liking what i've read and the little i've seen on Smith so far. This looks like a draft where they mostly played it safe and continued the Julien way of bigger, more physical players at some spots, which leads to me think both MB and Julien will be extended next summer unless things go really wrong. But in the coming months I'll start to get a feel for the draft, I hated the '18 draft for many months after and that seems to be shaping up well enough so maybe I will like this draft in time.

Reactions: VirginiaMtlExpat

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I gave it a C+. In my eyes we got two late first round picks with Guhle and Mysak. I am very excited about the Mysak pick. That's an A+ pick in my book. Guhle wasn't my guy, wasn't on my list for 16. I would have preferred Reichel and about 10 other guys to him. But he has some very nice traits: excellent skater, and he plays the game aggressively. My view is that he could turn out to be a player that you'd be pretty happy to have on your team, but not the kind of player you dream of drafting.

Biondi, Farrel and Gordin have some potential, but by in large it was a pretty disappointing night. Tuch is not a very talented player. Dobes is a goalie, and therefore worthless. Jack Smith, who the f*** asked for him?
I share the same feelings. Although to be fair, I only gave it a C+ solely because of our first 2 picks. Switch those 2 to Reichel and Niederbach and I probably give it an A- or B+. Knowing that we could have picked Perfetti if we lost to the Pens feels like getting heartbroken by the girl of your dreams. Knowing that we could have also picked Gunler in the 2nd if we lost to the Pens is like having the girl come back giving you hope but then just takes her stuff back.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
one things for sure at least as of today, covid really f***ed us. If no covid with how badly they were playing, who knows how much lower we could have ended up, but even if it was 9th OA in every round that could have changed their outlook since 7 spots higher in each round where we had our own pick would had better players available.

Jul 6, 2016
one things for sure at least as of today, covid really f***ed us. If no covid with how badly they were playing, who knows how much lower we could have ended up, but even if it was 9th OA in every round that could have changed their outlook since 7 spots higher in each round where we had our own pick would had better players available.

Exactly. But other teams thru the years were able to draft gems like Aho, Kucherov. Point, Pastrnak, Bergeron, Marchand, and so on. Last Playoffs, Habs had only FIVE players in their line up drafted and developed by them: KK, Gally, Lehkonen, Mete ad Price. How many did TB had ?

Someone says that it takes 5 years to judge a draft. The only player drafted 5 years ago by Habs who is still in the org is Juulsen !

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Timmins also LIKED Beauvillier yet he drafted Juulsen. Turns out you can like a player but would still draft someone else ahead of him @DAChampion . For the record, Girard could have absolutely been our pick, but it's not a guarantee whatsoever.

What a pile of bullshit from Timmins. Who gives a f*** if you liked a player? That is hfboards level nonsense. You like all kinds of players when you make a list. And then you kill your darlings when you make a pick. That's drafting. If you're right, you're right. If not...

BlackSpicyHarrier-small.gif

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
What a pile of bullshit from Timmins. Who gives a f*** if you liked a player? That is hfboards level nonsense. You like all kinds of players when you make a list. And then you kill your darlings when you make a pick. That's drafting. If you're right, you're right. If not...

BlackSpicyHarrier-small.gif
"Habs are proud to select Brett Lernout"-Timmins in 2014

"Oh, I forgot to mention that I also liked Brayden Point at that time too"-probably Timmins now

I'm so done with this guys bullshit excuses. You would think all that time in the gym wouldn't make him a spineless loser that always makes excuses.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad