HF Habs: Montreal's 2020 Draft Class (Immediate Thoughts?)

How would you grade the Habs 2020 draft class

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Good skater who isnt really good at hockey, a bit like Pitlick...

i can't say what's going on with Smith, but the kid was close to 3 ppg last year before the injury, he's got a really nice shot and looks smart but i haven't seen enough of him yet.

Pitlick I like for as a possible 3rd/4th liner since his speed and some skill could make for a good PKer but I don't think he works hard enough, coasts too much to my liking.

I'm willing to give Smith and Biondi the year off and see how they do next year. At least all 3 of Smith, Biondi and Pitlick are going to top programs in the NCAA with 2 of the best coaches (Pitlick's coach was Poehling's coach at SCSU) so that's something.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I know he's not a Habs prospect, but Chicago is playing against Green Bay Gamblers tonight (game is now tied 3-3). And playing for Green Bay is Jackson Kunz. He was one of the few high school players I wished Habs would select (Blake Biondi was another of the high schoolers I wanted and am happy Habs got him).

Kunz ended up picked by Vancouver after Habs took Smith and Biondi. Kunz tonight is in on each of Green Bay's goals against Chicago (has a goal and 2 assists). He has 18 pts in 21 games in his first year in the USHL.

He's a big body, who plays center, but can also play wing. He's 6'3" and 215 lbs.

If Habs ever make a trade with the Canucks, I do wish they find a way to get Kunz in the deal.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I know he's not a Habs prospect, but Chicago is playing against Green Bay Gamblers tonight (game is now tied 3-3). And playing for Green Bay is Jackson Kunz. He was one of the few high school players I wished Habs would select (Blake Biondi was another of the high schoolers I wanted and am happy Habs got him).

Kunz ended up picked by Vancouver after Habs took Smith and Biondi. Kunz tonight is in on each of Green Bay's goals against Chicago (has a goal and 2 assists). He has 18 pts in 21 games in his first year in the USHL.

He's a big body, who plays center, but can also play wing. He's 6'3" and 215 lbs.

If Habs ever make a trade with the Canucks, I do wish they find a way to get Kunz in the deal.

I wanted the habs to take him, too, but the habs rather take average, or below average players with skill rather than a big body with skill.

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
I guess I should wait until after the game is over before I provide an update on Farrell. He has a second assist in the game as Chicago is now giving it straight to Green Bay. Chicago now up 7-3. Farrell has a goal and 2 assists. A little under 5 minutes left in the game.

One more point and Farrell hits the 50-point mark.
Everyone was surprised to see Farrell last to the end of the fourth round. They were right. Most of them were surprised to see the Habs draft Jack Smith in the middle of the fourth round. They were also right. Geoff Molson could save a fortune by cutting the scouting department and just buying public draft guides.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Everyone was surprised to see Farrell last to the end of the fourth round. They were right. Most of them were surprised to see the Habs draft Jack Smith in the middle of the fourth round. They were also right. Geoff Molson could save a fortune by cutting the scouting department and just buying public draft guides.

Public draft guide are also wrong plenty of time.

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
Yeah, like the ones who had Romanov in the 4th round at best?

Reactions: Fenris

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
he's been really good but a small sample size, hard to say at this point. If he's back next year and no covid, will be very interesting to see how he carries that team.
He probably turns pro, I'd be surprised to see him return to NCAA. Nothing to prove.

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
I'm sure just like always the NHL will go too far the other way. Just like when they were so scared a shit team could win the cup and the draft lottery so we got Guhle instead of Perfetti.
Timmins said there was only one player on the board at #8 they would have taken ahead of Guhle. May have been Perfetti, but just as likely someone else.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Still completely perplexing why they went with Jack Smith and Biondi before Farrell. It just shows how bad these scouts are at evaluating offensive talent.

Obviously Farrell can still amount to nothing, but it’s blatantly obvious how much more skill he has than those two. There’s a far better chance we say “how did Farrell drop down so far” than saying the same about Smith and Biondi.

Reactions: Andrei79

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Still completely perplexing why they went with Jack Smith and Biondi before Farrell. It just shows how bad these scouts are at evaluating offensive talent.

Obviously Farrell can still amount to nothing, but it’s blatantly obvious how much more skill he has than those two. There’s a far better chance we say “how did Farrell drop down so far” than saying the same about Smith and Biondi.

Shows you how much they weigh size still.

Reactions: le_sean

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Farrell went 124th OA so the Habs weren't the only team that overlooked him after he dominated the USHL last year while playing on the best line in the league. He was picked 240th OA in the Q entry draft in '17.

That said he's on a stacked team, Biondi has the power game that scouts love, if he can fix his poor skating technique then the Habs might have something there. Smith who knows as he's now the man of mystery since he had a big injury last year and now is said to have been injured this year. He was able to put up sick goal totals last year but this year is just a nightmare. We'll see what happens next year, though certainly looking great for Farrell, and terrible for Smith..

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

Tottally agree. Though Biondi, the size and the offensive flair was enticing. Smith? No idea whatsoever what they saw. I have no idea what he'Ll do.....but you go Chromiak obvioiusly way ahead Smith. The round 5 is FILLED of guys I would ahve went before. Truscott on D. Rolston, Dufour up front etc.

But yeah, they have no idea. It's looking good for some like Ylonen, CC, Farrell and we should just enjoy what they are doing now. But in no way does that men they'Ll do it later.

Reactions: le_sean

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

it happens almost every year though. I don't know why either but it happens. Like when we picked Gally in the 5th even right off the hop we were pretty pumped about him. More pumped than Ellis and Macmillan who went before. Hudon showed pretty quickly that he should've been taken over Vail and even Bozon who both went before.

I doubt it's like that with just our team. I don't know if they gamble on them being there in later rounds or what. It's weird though.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Smith? No idea whatsoever what they saw

I assume they saw a goal scorer since he had 27 in just 17 games for SCC last year and that was with him missing a chunk to a shoulder injury I believe. It's said he had a wrist injury but of course nothing from the Habs. You can see in the USHL this year I showed a clip of how bad his shot looked so if he's got a wrist injury it could be effecting him as I watched a number of his games with SCC and he showed a good shot.

Or they just whiffed and it's another Casey Staum who was a 124th OA pick in '16 and after a weak rookie year in the USHL ala Smith, the next year he got hurt and missed most of the year. He's in his 2nd year at CC but he's either injured or not good enough, haven't kept track.

It happens, you hate to see such a miss, not that every scout doesn't have plenty of misses but that's a bad whiff when they can't even do well in the USHL at 18, 19 or 20. Of course you have Henriksson picked that same draft but at least he was a 7th rounder, but man has Rockstrom been terrible for us, thankfully they finally got a new scout there at least but that took too long to happen.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
You cant hope for more than a decent third liner out of Mysak. We should have drafted Chromiak.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad