Pre-Game Talk: Montreal @ Winnipeg - Thursday Feb 25/21 - 7 PM - TSN3/2, RDS

Status
Not open for further replies.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I'm looking forward to this series. This is a good chance for the Jets to establish themselves as the 2nd best team in the North.

Team hasn't been particularly good coming off the prolonged layoffs, so hopefully we're not asleep at the wheel.

I think there has to be a lot of positive energy about our top line coming off their last performance.

We're going to need a stronger performance from our 2nd line.

I'd say Montreal is vulnerable to being attacked with speed with slower d-men like Weber, Chiarot, and Kulak in the lineup. They are being carried by the Edmunson-Petry pairing. That said we will face the same challenge if Stanley draws in, but this would be a good team to get him in against as Montreal likes to attack the blue paint. I'm particularly interested to see how our centres matchup, as Montreal has some skill up the middle, but we have the weight advantage.

A series sweep by us would probably press the panic button in Montreal, and spell the end for Claude Julien, a coach who in my opinion isn't among the NHL's best, or even more outdated than ours.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I think the Jets are going to have their hands full with the Habs. I mean, Ottawa and Vancouver were able to regularly hem the Jets in...it's gonna be on another level with Montreal.

Reactions: RabidOne

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
They are being carried by the Edmunson-Petry pairing. That said we will face the same challenge if Stanley draws in, but this would be a good team to get him in against as Montreal likes to attack the blue paint. I'm particularly interested to see how our centres matchup, as Montreal has some skill up the middle, but we have the weight advantage.

A series sweep by us would probably press the panic button in Montreal, and spell the end for Claude Julien, a coach who in my opinion isn't among the NHL's best, or even more outdated than ours.

Petry left the Habs vs Leafs game for a bit on Saturday so maybe he is playing banged up.

I recall some angst on our boards that Montreal got Claude Julien and that "we could have had him".

Last edited by a moderator:

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Coach media availability:

Topics:

1. Having breathing room in games.
2. Update on Poolman and status of rest of players?
3. Assessment of the Habs.
4. High scoring games in the All-Canadian division.
5. How much do the standing factor for him?
6. Avoiding a team sag to prevent losing streak.
7. Being in tough, close games and the mental impact.
8. Challenge of putting together streaks of wins this season.
9. Balance of players sitting on taxi squad vs playing with the Moose.

Reactions: JetsUK

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I think the Jets are going to have their hands full with the Habs. I mean, Ottawa and Vancouver were able to regularly hem the Jets in...it's gonna be on another level with Montreal.

Not sure about that, Montreal hasn't looked all that impressive the last couple weeks to be honest from the games I've tuned into, 4-5-1 in their last 10. Ottawa and Vancouver are desperate for wins and both have some skilled players, that can make for a tough match up for any team.

Reactions: Jets 31

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Petry left the Habs vs Leafs game for a bit on Saturday so maybe he is playing banged up.

I recall some angst on our boards that Montreal got Claude Julien and that "we could have had him".
Wasn't he fired by Boston and hired by Montreal the next day?

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Often times the Jets come out flat after extended time off. I want to see a quick start.

This 100%. Not sure why they struggle so much to find their game. Each time I figure this time will be different, but it never is.

Would be interested in seeing the records of other teams in such scenarios.

Reactions: RabidOne

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Looking forward to this game, and our schedule through mid March. We need these matches against the Leaves and the Habs to see what we really have as a team. I am optimistic.

GJG!

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I'm not to sure where else to post this.
First off as clarification I'm not trying to vilify a local business but isn't THIS (see below) in pretty f@#$ing poor taste? WTF?

XP9jKS6.jpg

yYnniEx.jpg

Upon closer inspection this picture is from an older season (as Ladd is in the photo).
Why are they using a picture of an injured Bryan Little?
By that thought pattern shouldn't the dog in the other picture be hurt too?

Yeah that's in SUPER bad taste, in particular if that was the game he got hit in the ear that may have ended his career.

Kildonen Cleaners:wally

EDIT: Someone noticed that Ladd appears in the pic, so clearly not the incident from last season.

Last edited:

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Yeah that's in SUPER bad taste, in particular if that was the game he got hit in the ear that may have ended his career.

Kildonen Cleaners:wally

EDIT: Someone noticed that Ladd appears in the pic, so clearly not the incident from last season.

Ya I noted that Ladd was in the picture and couldn't immediately place what injury that was?

ryerockarola

Nov 20, 2011
Right now, Jets have 23 points, Montreal 21. Jets have played 18 games, Mtl 17.

Sens host Montreal tonight so Jets and Habs will each have played 18 games going into Thursday's game. (Go Sens! anytime Sens don't play the Jets)

Jets and Montreal's record for the past 10 games:
Jets: 15 pts. 7W (1 OT), 3L (1 SO) GF 32 GA 24
Mtl: 9 pts. 4W, 6L (1 OT) GF 24 GA 27

Opponents past 10 games
Jets: Ott(2), Van(2), Edm(2), Cal(4)
Mtl: Ott(3), Van(2), Edm(1), Cal(1), Tor(3)
---
To try to compare common opponents over 6 of last 10 team games
Remove {4 Jets-Cal} and {3 Tor-Mtl and 1 Mtl-Cal} leaving

Opponents *selected 6 out of last 10 games
Jets: Ott(2), Van(2), Edm(2)
Mtl: Ott(3), Van(2), Edm(1)

Jets: 8 pts. 4W (1 OT), 2L GF 20 GA 14
Mtl: 7 pts. 3W, 3L (1 OT) GF 17 GA 15

Overall I think the Jets have been playing better than Montreal the last month.
Let's see what happens when we play them starting Thursday. Go Jets!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad