Speculation: Montreal very interested in Pascal Dupuis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
pretty simple... if Dupuis is willing to take 3M$ per on a 2-3 year deal, then it's a no-brainer signing.

He'd be an excellent fit on a line with Bourque-Pleks, and as much as his production in recent years is tied to playing with Crosby, his career arc and MT's history with him give enough confidence to trust that, barring injury, he'll maintain a solid level of performance into his mid-30's.

we don't need him to be a 25-30 goal/55-65pt player... ~20goals/40pts, while playing a big minutes on a shut-down line with pleks would fill a big need, and because he's solid defensively, even if his production drops off more than that, he can still play important minutes/role.

If he's more focused on getting the big pay day coming off of his most productive season as a pro, then we shouldn't touch him... some team (Cgy, Dallas, Wpg?) will undoubtably be willing to go into the ~4M$/per territory, and at that level, we shouldn't be in the mix.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
I don't see the problem getting Dupuis. Solid 2way game, great pk'er, and can possibly get you 50pts a season. This whole thing with him feeding off Crosby and Malkin, he played good stretches when 1 or both were out of the lineup. He deserves credit.

If there is a way to maybe sign:

Lecavalier
Dupuis
Scuderi

I'd be all for it. I understand a body or two would have to move, but it would make our lineup a lot strongers. Gives us great depth and veteran leadership all of which have won Stanley cups.

I think these players as well would give enough time for our younger players to develop over a 3-4yr time frame. Especially ones still in juniors or in the AHL.

I just don't know who would move in order to accommodate these signings.

Most people want to move: Desharnais / Moen / Gionta /Diaz.....

It is possible and seeing as we would need the money I think we could get decent hauls of picks for these players with maybe even little money coming back. If 2(Lets say Desharnais / Diaz) of those players moved and we signed those 3 above, our roster would look like this:

FORWARDS

Max Pacioretty ($4.500m) / Vincent Lecavalier ($5.000m) / Brendan Gallagher ($0.870m)
Rene Bourque ($3.333m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Pascal Dupuis ($4.000m)
Alex Galchenyuk ($3.225m) / Lars Eller ($1.325m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
Travis Moen ($1.850m) / Ryan White ($0.650m) / Brandon Prust ($2.500m)

DEFENSEMEN

Rob Scuderi ($4.000m) / P.K. Subban ($2.875m)
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Alexei Emelin ($2.000m)
Josh Gorges ($3.900m) / Jarred Tinordi ($1.083m)
Francis Bouillon ($1.500m) / Davis Drewiske ($0.638m)

GOALTENDERS

Carey Price ($6.500m)
Peter Budaj ($1.400m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,898,333; BONUSES: $2,697,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $99,167

That is with those players receiving top $ as well. They could also sign for less but who knows.

All I know is that this roster looks a lot more solid and complete if you ask me.

The problem is we don't have a Crosby or Malkin to play him with. 4 million a year has disaster written all over. I like Dupuis as well don't get me wrong but I wouldn't pay anything over 3 million a year

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Getting Dupuis would ultimately depend on the cap hit. He's a good and useful player.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Getting Dupuis would ultimately depend on the cap hit. He's a good and useful player.

Agreed, but there is a price that I wouldn't go over. And if we have to go over that price, then Bergevin better make space by moving a player like Moen for example

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Pens fan, not wanting trouble. A few points:

-He doesn't rely on Crosby to score. His scoring without Crosby has been equal to or greater over the past few years.

-He is an excellent PK'r and responsible defensively, probably why Therrien likes him

-The sticking point for us resigning him is he wants 4 years in term, and it's rumored 4-5 mil in cap. If he were going for 3 x 2, or even 3 x 3 we'd give it to him in a heartbeat

This is his retirement contract, he made squat the past few years, and this is his chance to cash in.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Pens fan, not wanting trouble. A few points:

-He doesn't rely on Crosby to score. His scoring without Crosby has been equal to or greater over the past few years.

-He is an excellent PK'r and responsible defensively, probably why Therrien likes him

-The sticking point for us resigning him is he wants 4 years in term, and it's rumored 4-5 mil in cap. If he were going for 3 x 2, or even 3 x 3 we'd give it to him in a heartbeat

This is his retirement contract, he made squat the past few years, and this is his chance to cash in.

if the bolded is accurate, then I pray he gets it elsewhere...

that's bigger $/term than Kunitz was willing to take to stay in pittsburgh!

would make sense for him to be focused on the "retirement" contract, leaving only the desire to play in montreal/quebec as the incentive to take less than full market value. doubt that happens.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

That pretty much summarizes what the intelligent habs fanbase thinks.

At around 3 mil he is a good fit, at around 4, I don't see it. Maybe 3.5 if you really like him. Anything more than 4 years 14 mil is ridiculous.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I don't think any rational fan has a problem with Pascal Dupuis the player. All my concerns come from age + caphit + contract length.

Hemlor

Jan 27, 2007
**** off, Therrien.

Fire this idiot already.

Dupuis sucks without Malkin and Crosby centering this piece of garbage.

1. Evidence would suggest that Therrien is not an idiot

2. You are believing rumour and speculation with no basis in fact. The only factual statement was that Dupuis is French Canadian.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
Really don't want this guy any where near us. He did play great last year, but I still don't feel he is as good as his stats.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Really don't want this guy any where near us. He did play great last year, but I still don't feel he is as good as his stats.

Thing is he has produced while Crosby's been injured as well. I like him a lot but not at 4 million. If we could sign him to closer to 3 million, max 3.5 and dump Moen I'd be all over it

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
Anyway, I could care less about getting Dupuis, might be a decent vet to have over the next 3 years as some others will probably be on the way out, but like everyone is saying, term and caphit would have to be reasonable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
I don't think any rational fan has a problem with Pascal Dupuis the player. All my concerns come from age + caphit + contract length.

yep. the guy is alright and i'd take him on my team any day, but he's gonna get some crazy offers and I don't want Bergevin to match them

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Exactly and they were all Therrien's pets. We give Dupuis the money he wants and we will be regretting it 20 games into the season.

Yes and no, I usually agree with you WTK but I watch a **** load of Pens games and Dupuis plays a game that we could definitely use. Great PKer, can score big goals, plays hard at both ends of the ice and skates well which is important to our style of game. Like I said if we could move a player like Moen I would be able to digest Dupuis at even 3.5 per year.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
Yes and no, I usually agree with you WTK but I watch a **** load of Pens games and Dupuis plays a game that we could definitely use. Great PKer, can score big goals, plays hard at both ends of the ice and skates well which is important to our style of game. Like I said if we could move a player like Moen I would be able to digest Dupuis at even 3.5 per year.

he'll get more than that. you forgot the golden rule of hockey : "it only takes 1 crazy GM out of 30!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad