Speculation: Montreal very interested in Pascal Dupuis

Status
Not open for further replies.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
As long as we sign him with third liner expectations (and salary) and not 20-30 goal, 50-60 point expectations, I don't have a problem with it.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Would make sense on a team bolstering a 'contending' lineup... not this Montreal team.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
He'd really improve our penalty kill, I'm fine with him for around $3 million. He won't get 60 points but he'll bring it every shift and is very good at both ends of the ice, he'd look very good with Eller IMO.

Coldplay

Courage
Aug 21, 2008
Montréal
Dupuis is a good player but this screams "Jason Blake to Leafs" signing all over. Guy put up terrific numbers with Pittsburgh, but he won't be as well-surrounded here (hi, Sid) and he might get grossly overpaid like Blake did for a good run on Long Island.

Pass unless his demands are reasonable. I'd rather overpay/bank on for Vinny than Dupuis.

As long as we sign him with third liner expectations (and salary) and not 20-30 goal, 50-60 point expectations, I don't have a problem with it.

Agree. And even then, I'm skeptical he can reach 50-60 points out of Pittsburgh.

idk

Jan 11, 2012
Interesting, but isn't really the fix what we need (offensive wingers who can drive the net). If he comes with a price tag that doesn't stop us from grabbing one of those I don't see it as a real problem (he'd replace Armstrong) but I wouldn't want to give him three million per or three years...

Bilbo Caufield

Habs Hockey
Dec 9, 2008
Santa Flanella
I would go for any of Horton, Lecavalier or any 5 million big body well before giving 3,5 to a Crosbyless 10 goals a season player.

I like Dupuis a lot but not for this money. He's worth 2,5 imho

Coldplay

Courage
Aug 21, 2008
Montréal
**** off, Therrien.

Fire this idiot already.

Dupuis sucks without Malkin and Crosby centering this piece of garbage.

I know you're prone to hyperbole, but you're getting way too worked up about this. Particularly calling for Therrien. :facepalm:

Dupuis isn't a bad player, let alone a piece of garbage. But he's created this false perception about him that could lead him to get dangerously overpaid. I'd take Dupuis for a reasonable amount to play on our 3rd line.

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
I dont believe this. But maybe if we cant sign anybosy else... Still I dont think hes an upgrade for the money hell ask. He would stay in Pittsburgh for 3M. Hes looking for 5.

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
I'd honestly rather see Pouliot back for dirt cheap than spend whatever Dupuis thinks he is worth. Yes, Pouliot. That's how much I hate the idea of Dupuis.

CN_paladin

Jan 22, 2007
Westeros
Dupuis is a great 2 way guy but he's pretty old already so I wouldn't offer more than 2 years or else he'd end up like Juneau ou Perrault back in the day.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
**** off, Therrien.

Fire this idiot already.

Dupuis sucks without Malkin and Crosby centering this piece of garbage.

It's obviously you've lost your mind.

First, Therrien is an idiot because some newspaper thinks Dupuis will come here because of him?

:facepalm:

Given the work Therrien did last yaer you'd think "knowledgeable" Habs fans would realise he is a pretty good coach, especially considering their highest paid player was in San Jose and the second highest paid one had a crappy year.

I wouldn't mind Dupuis, but outside of Pittsburgh he is a gritty, solid 2 way 45-50 point guy on a 2nd line or high end 3rd liner on a cup winner. I have no issues signing him 3-4 years at a cap hit of 3 mil max...not 4 or 5 x 4 mil.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Well I wouldn't mind it. Extremely reliable, of course he won't have the numbers with us, but he could still do a fine job the way Dominic Moore did. It doesn't make us tougher that's for sure....and FOR SURE shouldn't be paid as a real 20-goal scorer....but as a player....he wouldn't be the worst one we'd be getting.

onebighockeyfan

May 2, 2010
I'd honestly rather see Pouliot back for dirt cheap than spend whatever Dupuis thinks he is worth. Yes, Pouliot. That's how much I hate the idea of Dupuis.

No way Pouliot comes back. He was always taking bad penalties, remember? Also only shows up every other game so I would seriously pass on him.

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
I don't see the problem getting Dupuis. Solid 2way game, great pk'er, and can possibly get you 50pts a season. This whole thing with him feeding off Crosby and Malkin, he played good stretches when 1 or both were out of the lineup. He deserves credit.

If there is a way to maybe sign:

Lecavalier
Dupuis
Scuderi

I'd be all for it. I understand a body or two would have to move, but it would make our lineup a lot strongers. Gives us great depth and veteran leadership all of which have won Stanley cups.

I think these players as well would give enough time for our younger players to develop over a 3-4yr time frame. Especially ones still in juniors or in the AHL.

I just don't know who would move in order to accommodate these signings.

Most people want to move: Desharnais / Moen / Gionta /Diaz.....

It is possible and seeing as we would need the money I think we could get decent hauls of picks for these players with maybe even little money coming back. If 2(Lets say Desharnais / Diaz) of those players moved and we signed those 3 above, our roster would look like this:

FORWARDS

Max Pacioretty ($4.500m) / Vincent Lecavalier ($5.000m) / Brendan Gallagher ($0.870m)
Rene Bourque ($3.333m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Pascal Dupuis ($4.000m)
Alex Galchenyuk ($3.225m) / Lars Eller ($1.325m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
Travis Moen ($1.850m) / Ryan White ($0.650m) / Brandon Prust ($2.500m)

DEFENSEMEN

Rob Scuderi ($4.000m) / P.K. Subban ($2.875m)
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Alexei Emelin ($2.000m)
Josh Gorges ($3.900m) / Jarred Tinordi ($1.083m)
Francis Bouillon ($1.500m) / Davis Drewiske ($0.638m)

GOALTENDERS

Carey Price ($6.500m)
Peter Budaj ($1.400m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,898,333; BONUSES: $2,697,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $99,167

That is with those players receiving top $ as well. They could also sign for less but who knows.

All I know is that this roster looks a lot more solid and complete if you ask me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad