Pre-Game Talk: Montreal @ Toronto 7pm ET (TVA Sports/SN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Yup, good job Hughes. Pretty stupid

Why not send Barron down, he ain’t gonna play tomorrow and give the reps in practice to Xhekaj?
Actually - pretty smart. Barron's ELC contract includes bonus money (275K) and Xhekaj does not. to paper Barron down and up would use and extra 275K of LTIR cap space. anyone recalled using LTIR is at their AAV plus any potential bonus money. Missing one practice is not going to ruin Xhekaj.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Curious how the defense is going to play let me just leave it at that.

I think there will be goals. Leafs D and goaltending is not that great. Their team D is solid though but they get the gains from the puck possession forwards/centers.

Our D is young and we have challenges as well. However, I do think we have 4 decent forward lines to roll. Both teams will be focused on their team D vs just their actual defense. A lot of offensive is generated in transition these days but our issues on D is exiting our zone with possession. Leafs forecheck is one of the best in the NHL.

Should be an interesting game. Everyone's level will be raised a notch because it's Leafs vs Habs. Habs are not expected to win but if the game stays close, pressure goes to the Leafs because they are "suppose" to win.

Caufield 2 goals
Suzuki 4 assists

Habs win 5-2

I think it's going OT.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The 3 goalie thing, will not work.................gotta make a trade soon, or waive one of them....
Primeau might have been better than both in the preseason?
And yet I heard this morning on 690 that 4 other teams are starting the season by carrying 3 goalies on their NHL rosters.

Reactions: Rapala

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Allen is starting

Hmmmm.

The 3 goalies situation can't last all season. We all know that.
I think there's really only 4-5 options for HuGo

I didn't expected Allen to start tomorrow with Montembeault playing the last full game in preseason.......even if Monty didn't looked good, Allen looked just as bad.

Reactions: Redux91

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
And yet I heard this morning on 690 that 4 other teams are starting the season by carrying 3 goalies on their NHL rosters.
It's pretty common at season start when goalies have minor injuries or teams aren't quite sure who is will be the backup (or sometimes starter).

But that rarely last the full season, unless there are recurring injuries.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
The 2024 Calgary pick is optional and only if they finish between 20-32 (aka get pass the 1st round of the playoffs).

It's in 2025 where we want both Calgary and Florida to tank.
Hard to see Florida being bottom 10 in 2025.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
The 3 goalie thing, will not work.................gotta make a trade soon, or waive one of them....
Primeau might have been better than both in the preseason?
I'm sure Primeau goes down once teams have finished claiming goalies. They're trying to make sure they don't lose him on waivers. No way they run with 3 for long.
Of course it is possible Allen gets dealt I guess.

Reactions: BLONG7

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Hmmmm.

The 3 goalies situation can't last all season. We all know that.
I think there's really only 4-5 options for HuGo

I didn't expected Allen to start tomorrow with Montembeault playing the last full game in preseason.......even if Monty didn't looked good, Allen looked just as bad.

I think Allen looked better than Monty. Allen got scored on the first shot against the Leafs, but after that he was solid. Monty, even if Habs won the last game, he was still kind fighting with the puck, losing it when he had the opportunity to freeze it. He did well on a few breakaways due to some defensive breakdowns. So it's not like he was garbage.

I still think Monty's the guy who will be #1. But for me, as far as preseason goes, Monty looked the worst between Allen and Primeau. In fact, I think Primeau had the best camp out of all three of them.

I agree that the menage à trois can't last long.

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I'm sure Primeau goes down once teams have finished claiming goalies. They're trying to make sure they don't lose him on waivers. No way they run with 3 for long.
Of course it is possible Allen gets dealt I guess.
If Primeau bombs a couple of games, it may be easier to get him through waivers.

Reactions: CDN24

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

I think the Kings and the Flyers are two of those teams.

But the Kings just placed one of their goalies (Rittich) on waivers today. So they're solving that issue right away.

Reactions: Runner77

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Sportsnet ugh - woke garbage, wrapped up with gambling and booze ads for the young generation.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
I think some of them are scared of Tampa Bay, they are looking for a goalie......
Yeah Tampa may be looking for a goalie, Colorado too with Francouz hurt. Also Chicago who IMO would have been the team to take a Flier on Primeau. They have Soderblom as backup currently but he can be sent down without waivers and probably would develop better in the AHL. Grab Primeau and see if there is something there like Habs did when the claimed Montembault. Its not like they care if they win this year.

Habs wanted to avoid what happened to Toronto a few years back when the kept Spasrks as backup and waived Mc backup (curtis Mcilenny) and Calvin Picard on last day of camp and lost both to waivers then realized Sparks was not the answer and depth was gone.

Habs will give primeau a few starts to see if he can cut it at this level, if not he gets waived and they don't really care if he is claimed. If he does look like he can play then they look at trading a goalie (maybe Primeau, Allen or Monty) to someone in need- may be Tampa, Avs, Hawks or someone who loses a goalie to a long term injury.

Expect it to be resolved by end of November with Primeau waived or one of the three traded.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
The 2024 Calgary pick is optional and only if they finish between 20-32 (aka get pass the 1st round of the playoffs).

It's in 2025 where we want both Calgary and Florida to tank.

The Habs need Florida to have a top 10 selection in either 2024 or 2025. This means Calgary gets Florida’s pick in 2026 and the Calgary pick the Habs have in 2025 is only top 1 protected.

So I’ll be cheering for Florida to once again tank this season and next.

Hard to see Florida being bottom 10 in 2025.

I agree but who knows, especially in a tough division.

Reactions: 26Mats
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad