Montreal to wear white jersey home tonight!

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
It should be like in soccer, as long as the colours don't clash too much for the referee to have a problem with it, let the teams wear whatever they want. Colour vs coulour, colour vs white etc.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
The old white/dark debate rages on.

Again, have the home team wear either white or dark from Oct-Jan and the opposite the rest of the year and have the team with home ice in the playoffs dictate what color they will wear.

Easy fix, NHL.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Damn, for some reason I thought you meant these. What a letdown. :laugh:

hmonccm94w_f.jpg

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
I might be completely wrong but I seem to remember that teams used to switch halfway through the season awhile ago so that the fans got to see both sets of jerseys. Or am I just imagining this?

Not sure they ever did this in the NHL. Teams in the WHA did switch halfway through the season for the last 3 years. I generally prefer white at home but I currently don't like the Jets whites because of the shoulder yoke that runs down the full length of the sleeve. Never been a fan of that look.

:jets

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I prefer white at home cause it's a tradition and also because I know who my team are. Yet when visiting teams come in, I want to see what they represent, hence I want to see their colored jersey. I want to see the orange Flyers, the blue Leafs, etc...

Reactions: dkhockey

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I'm old school. I'm still waiting for the league to switch back to wearing whites (or lighter colour) at home permanently. I'm just programmed that way. Most times when I turn a game on I have to look at the logo at centre ice to see where the game is being played.

It was weird to me when the home team swtiched to the darks, but its been this way for so long now that it looks weird to see whites at home.

Actually, I've heard some season ticket holders miss seeing all the different colours of the road team when they come to town. It's never really bothered me, but its out there.

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
Did this guy buy a hockey team because he was bored? Man... this plus the whole quote about not drafting defense in the first round... Good luck the the fans, team and front office.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Their road whites are not nearly as ugly as the new black third jerseys.

Windy River

Jan 31, 2013
Does anyone recall the exact reason for the switch to home team being colour? I recall it has something to do with increasing jersey sales, but cant remember quite why that is.

I definitely preferred the home white. And apparently statistics show a slight advantage for the team wearing white too.

member 157595

I have always preferred home whites to begin with, and Montreal's are some of the best.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Psssh. Home should wear colours and away gets skins. This league is for wimps now......

Walk With Lias

Sep 18, 2007
I believe the rule book only says that home and away jerseys have to be contrasting. The decision to wear colours at home was a business decision so there was probably some formal decision making process among the owners but nothing added to the rule book.

This, back when the change was made in the early 2000s every team that had a third jersey had a dark third jersey with the exception of the Leafs. Owners wanted to wear the thirds at home so this was forcing teams to carry two sets of jerseys and in some cases additional gear (helmets gloves, pants/shells/etc) on road trips and driving up expenses. The decision was then made to wear dark at home full time so teams could lighten the burden on the equipment staff when packing for road trips. In most cases today when a team wears white at home its usually cases where the team is on a one-game trip like the Flyers wearing Orange at MSG. Then you have situations like the Ducks for example who like wearing their new third jerseys at Madison Square Garden but will bring their whites along for the rest of the trip. (Not this year since they'll wear the thirds in Pittsburgh as well but Boston/Buffalo games will see the standard road whites)

thunder16

Nov 18, 2017
I'm old school. I'm still waiting for the league to switch back to wearing whites (or lighter colour) at home permanently. I'm just programmed that way. Most times when I turn a game on I have to look at the logo at centre ice to see where the game is being played.

Some of us are even older schoolers than you and the home colors were the dark not the whites, We older schoolers prefer the dark , we are just programmed that way.

EDIT: 1950 the use of contrasting uniforms became mandatory. The reason was due to the increasing number of motion picture newsreels being made of the action (which would soon become black and white television), that the NHL required each team should wear contrasting colours to make it easier for viewers to distinguish the teams during the black and white broadcasts. The home team would wear dark, the visitor white. It was Hockey Night In Canada that suggested that the NHL switch in 1970 to the home team wearing white jerseys in order to show off visiting team’s away jerseys

Last edited:

dkhockey

May 27, 2007
Europe
MLB , white jerseys at home.... NBA (before Nike F it up) white jerseys at home..... NHL, should be white jerseys at home !

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
dumdum can get f***ed. What a f***ing snowflake....

Not sure why Montreal - or any team for that matter agree. Another example why rich f***s get to do whatever they want regardless of tradition - and yes I know about white home jerseys.

Dumdum is such a f***ing snowflake tho boohoo he don’t like white jerseys WHO THE f*** IS ENABLING THIS???

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad