Montreal to wear white jersey home tonight!

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Stupid that the one night they do this the fans in Montreal have to see the colour red on the other side. You can tell it wasn’t Montreal’s decision because if it was they would at least choose a night they could see a diffeeent colour then red and white for once.

Imagine always watching Montreal and Detroit it’s literally red vs white in every home game. It gets tiring sometimes that I wish they switched back 1971-2003 I believe was the time they wore whites at home.

I miss it kind of.
It isn't the one night the canes have done this / they wore red every game in cali. I think it's cool tho if they want to bring two sets of jerseys everywhere I'm sure teams won't mind the change up , makes the game more interesting.

I'm sure canes aren't the biggest draw so home whites is something you can market for that day. Even for a team that probably sells out like Montreal I'm sure you'll get a few fans with money to burn buying whites just so they can match .

Last edited:

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
The color red makes anything 10% faster (especially cars and motorcycles). Carolina will have the advantage tonight with their boys ripping around the ice. Very clever of them.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
As long as you can tell the two teams apart, does it really matter what they wear?

I'm pretty sure that NHL rules allow teams to make a request to wear the home jerseys on the road and the home team can agree or disagree. I don't see what the big deal is.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
dumdum can get ****ed. What a ****ing snowflake....

Not sure why Montreal - or any team for that matter agree. Another example why rich ****s get to do whatever they want regardless of tradition - and yes I know about white home jerseys.

Dumdum is such a ****ing snowflake tho boohoo he don’t like white jerseys WHO THE **** IS ENABLING THIS???

You seem disproportionately upset about this.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Whites at home are better with special occasion colors. If you have season tickets for Montreal, all of the games the home team wears red the road team wears white. The value of the road team in dark is the games look different one to the next
So, you think being able to see different colored jerseys will have an impact on ticket sales?

Mustard

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville
Preds and Canes should play a Winter Classic game in their Home schemes. BUT, only if they can play at Heinz Field.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Call me strange, but I like white at home for hockey. Always have, probably because that is what I grew up watching. HOWEVER, on the otherhand would love to see them ditch whites altogether and have them go with 2 colored jerseys. Rangers a blue and a red. Isles a blue and an orange. When they play, one team wears blue and the other team wears their other color.

For teams like the Leafs that are blue and white, let them have either 2 different blue jerseys or maybe let them go with a blue and white.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
MLB , white jerseys at home.... NBA (before Nike F it up) white jerseys at home..... NHL, should be white jerseys at home !
Should I point out that the NFL is mainly dark at home and they are by far the most financially successful sports league in North America, or does someone else want to do it?

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Call me strange, but I like white at home for hockey. Always have, probably because that is what I grew up watching. HOWEVER, on the otherhand would love to see them ditch whites altogether and have them go with 2 colored jerseys. Rangers a blue and a red. Isles a blue and an orange. When they play, one team wears blue and the other team wears their other color.

For teams like the Leafs that are blue and white, let them have either 2 different blue jerseys or maybe let them go with a blue and white.
Leafs could wear those green jerseys as their off colour I don't think two blues would work unless one was super bright neon baby blue

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
This, back when the change was made in the early 2000s every team that had a third jersey had a dark third jersey with the exception of the Leafs. Owners wanted to wear the thirds at home so this was forcing teams to carry two sets of jerseys and in some cases additional gear (helmets gloves, pants/shells/etc) on road trips and driving up expenses. The decision was then made to wear dark at home full time so teams could lighten the burden on the equipment staff when packing for road trips. In most cases today when a team wears white at home its usually cases where the team is on a one-game trip like the Flyers wearing Orange at MSG. Then you have situations like the Ducks for example who like wearing their new third jerseys at Madison Square Garden but will bring their whites along for the rest of the trip. (Not this year since they'll wear the thirds in Pittsburgh as well but Boston/Buffalo games will see the standard road whites)
I have heard this argument and I don't buy it. The idea that it was too hard for teams to bring extra jerseys and equipment on road trips is ridiculous. Not as if the players are packing their stuff themselves and trying to check their stuff onto a commercial flight. White jerseys back then sold better and it was an attempt to help dark sales. Now, when I go to games, I see 10 dark jerseys of every 1 of the home team. When Adidas decides they need to spark white jersey sales, they will change again.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
So this is why they recently wore it when they played the Kings and Ducks on the road, although Anaheim stuck with their home jerseys so it was wild.

AP_18342142867346.jpg

Last edited:

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
I'm old school. I'm still waiting for the league to switch back to wearing whites (or lighter colour) at home permanently. I'm just programmed that way. Most times when I turn a game on I have to look at the logo at centre ice to see where the game is being played.
Home whites are the way to go. That way home fans get to see all the colours of other teams. Much better than always watching away teams whites.

No idea why the league switched this.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
I'm old school. I'm still waiting for the league to switch back to wearing whites (or lighter colour) at home permanently. I'm just programmed that way. Most times when I turn a game on I have to look at the logo at centre ice to see where the game is being played.

Conspiratorially, I think that it's currently so that the Blackhawks gets to wear their awesome red at home. :naughty:

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
I like it the way it is, the home team should get to showcase their colors at home. Let the away team where the bland old whites. Why bring more attention to the opposing team.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Home whites are the way to go. That way home fans get to see all the colours of other teams. Much better than always watching away teams whites.

No idea why the league switched this.
I think home colours are better for playoffs. So the stands match the home team and not everyone does the whiteout

But I'm pretty sure they switched it because not every owner wants to carry around two sets of jerseys when traveling to allow for third jerseys.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY

Absolutely. If home wears white then we see a variety of colors skating against us from game to game. If wear our blues, all we see are white jerseys skating against us each game.

Plus I grew up with the home teams wearing white at home....:wally:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
The league should pick 1 week a year and everyone wears the whites at home and colours on the road.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->