Proposal: Montreal - Rangers

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I think the pick exchange make this a no-go for the Rangers, there will be a really good player available at 9. Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina, Boqvist, Whalstrom, Hughes should be gone, but one of Tkachuk, Bouchard, Dobson will be on the board.

Without the pick exchange it doesn't make any send though
1 top line winger + 1 second line winger is better then a second line center + 3rd line winger
I think Schlemko is a tad better than Smith too.

Yeah, too bad it doesn't work that way. Your "top line winger" turns 30 in November, has 1 year left on his contract, and is coming off one of the worst years in his career. Why would a team that is rebuilding want Patches? Hint: They wouldn't. The same goes for Schlemko. He could be a cheap fill in if he were a UFA, but he's certainly not a player the Rangers aren't going to place much value on in a trade.

Galchenyuk is the only player in the deal that would hold any real value to a rebuilding team, but I can't imagine the Rangers giving up anything significant for him. If he's actually that valuable, then why are Montreal fans always looking to trade him? We'll keep our 1st round picks, thanks, and you guys can keep Chucky.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Yeah, too bad it doesn't work that way. Your "top line winger" turns 30 in November, has 1 year left on his contract, and is coming off one of the worst years in his career. Why would a team that is rebuilding want Patches? Hint: They wouldn't. The same goes for Schlemko. He could be a cheap fill in if he were a UFA, but he's certainly not a player the Rangers aren't going to place much value on in a trade.

Galchenyuk is the only player in the deal that would hold any real value to a rebuilding team, but I can't imagine the Rangers giving up anything significant for him. If he's actually that valuable, then why are Montreal fans always looking to trade him? We'll keep our 1st round picks, thanks, and you guys can keep Chucky.

Hint: you are no reference after saying Galchenyuk is worth a 2nd.
I was saying I understand why Rangers don't do it, but I wouldn't do it either from Habs perspective.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Like it's a fact. I'm sure Rangers management would give at least one of your late first for him don't be ridiculous.

No, my opinion isn't a fact, and neither is yours. But when it comes to what the Rangers would or would not do, I'd wager that my opinion is more informed.

Chucky has been in trade rumors for the last couple years. Do you think teams have offered a 1st round pick for him and Montreal turned it down?

Reactions: NewYorkNick

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
No, my opinion isn't a fact, and neither is yours. But when it comes to what the Rangers would or would not do, I'd wager that my opinion is more informed.

Chucky has been in trade rumors for the last couple years. Do you think teams have offered a 1st round pick for him and Montreal turned it down?

Hf trade rumours!?!?! :laugh::laugh::laugh:
If it's not a top 10 pick I hope they refused it.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Hf trade rumours!?!?! :laugh::laugh::laugh:
If it's not a top 10 pick I hope they refused it.

In all fairness, it went far outside HF. Either way, I'd give up a late for him. I wouldn't give our 9th for him. Not with how we need to rebuild this team.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
In all fairness, it went far outside HF. Either way, I'd give up a late for him. I wouldn't give our 9th for him. Not with how we need to rebuild this team.

Yes, that's what I tried to explain the other New York fan. I understand why you wouldn't, but from our perspective we still have a few decent pieces in place, and unless management decides to go full rebuild it doesn't make sense for us either to trade him for a pick.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
:habs

Max Pacioretty
Alex Galchenyuk
David Schlemko
2nd round pick(MTL)

:rangers

Mika Zibanejad
Jesper Fast
Brendan Smith
1st round pick(9)

Make the 2nd rounder into your first round pick (3OA), and you might have a deal.
No way the rangers move the two best pieces of the trade (Zib and 9OA)

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Make the 2nd rounder into your first round pick (3OA), and you might have a deal.
No way the rangers move the two best pieces of the trade (Zib and 9OA)
Lol that 3rd is worth more than that entire package considering the horrible contract involved from Smith

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016

Lmao ofc they refused any such ridiculous offers

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
:habs

Max Pacioretty
Alex Galchenyuk
David Schlemko
2nd round pick(MTL)

:rangers

Mika Zibanejad
Jesper Fast
Brendan Smith
1st round pick(9)

This is one of those deals that is actually decent

You can tell, because fans from both sides don't want it, but both sides stand to gain a decent amount from the deal.

I would personally remove the 9th, Fast and Galchenyuk and add another 2nd from Montreal.

Patches, Chicago and Toronto's 2nds and Schlemko

for

Zibanejad, Smith.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
These teams just don't make good trade partners especially when there is picks involved because they both need picks and good ones. Another issue is Max does nothing for the Rangers in 2018-2019. In fact if he gets them into the playoffs more than likely he folds up and does nothing in the playoffs. We hit a grand slam in the Nash trade I don't want to have to replicate that in trying to trade Max. if we are sellers at the deadline again. Who knows what the trade market will be like. If Mika is traded it has to be someone who is similar in age and contract and that fills a need for the next 4-5 years.

Just makes more sense for Montreal to try their best and go get as best of a first round pick they can for Max

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

You can tell, because fans from both sides don't want it, but both sides stand to gain a decent amount from the deal.

I would personally remove the 9th, Fast and Galchenyuk and add another 2nd from Montreal.

for

Zibanejad, Smith.

And the Rangers still don't do it.

Reactions: Klaus3154

Klaus3154

Apr 22, 2018
New York
Laughably bad for the Rangers.

Here's a tip to all the other people thinking about trying to squeeze valuable assets out of the Rangers for taking Brendan Smith off our hands: don't. Smith's contract isn't an issue. We don't need the cap space in the middle of a rebuild. He will be given the chance to prove himself again. If he fails, he'll continue to ride buses in the AHL.

^^^^this right here^^^^^^
Rangers don’t care about cap room. Staal’s and Smith’s contract doesn’t hurt anymore. Might as well give him a chance to regain what he was like in the playoffs of ‘17. This is the reason they will go after Kovalchuk. You can bet the Rangers will still spend to the cap limit so if the plan is to play a bunch of players on their ELC’s there is no reason to lose in a trade for cap relief.

Rangers would have zero interest in trading for a player like Patches. If there would be any interest it would be as a UFA. Given up assets like the 9th or Zib for anyone with one year left in their contract makes zero sense.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Maybe you need to learn to read and understand the way quotes work on the site...I was referring to the trade I quoted

Zib + 15OA + Kamper + Gropp
for
3OA + Juulsen

And yes Zib is a good second line center maybe borderline 1st line center, if I am giving up the 3rd overall I'd want something much better than him.

Zib is a bonafide 1C.
He is way better than Stepan 2Oth best pivot level 1C, esp. if you take into account age, wear and tear and contract.
Would rather have Zib for halfish of Toews or Malkin

Is Zib good enough to be considered something like Eichel lite? No.
but 2nd liner maybe borderline 1C is bs and I have to call you on it, not withstanding everyone has a right to their opinion.

If Juulsen were not injured during much of his debut, he could be fully worth at least if not more than 15OA. Unfortunately, we can only project he will continue to improve, but there is no basis to suddenly think he will turn into a superstar overnight. He is simply a solid add.

Habs want Zib valued at like 30% of 3OA when it is closer to at least 80, if not 90% minimum. The add is small to moderate at most.

Zib - 3OA
15OA - Juulsen, who was drafted later 26th but is getting there but working out so far
2 lesser pieces reduce difference

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
If the Habs threw in Chucky, I would do the deal
Zib and 9 OA for Chucky and 3 OA

while chucky is a major step up, as others noted he is not what we need now, esp since truly he is more W than C.

9OA MUST be available for trade down to 5 or 6 OA

we can do Zuc for 15 and thus
Zib + 15OA
for
3OA + _________

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018

for

Zibanejad, Smith.

Rangers get nothing out if this deal. There is absolutely no reason to pursue a rental in Pacioretty, and losing Zibanejad would be a huge blow on offense.

Both sides not liking a deal doesn’t automatically make it a good fit, sometimes it just means ithe trade is bad for both teams.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Zib is a bonafide 1C.
He is way better than Stepan 2Oth best pivot level 1C, esp. if you take into account age, wear and tear and contract.
Would rather have Zib for halfish of Toews or Malkin

Is Zib good enough to be considered something like Eichel lite? No.
but 2nd liner maybe borderline 1C is bs and I have to call you on it, not withstanding everyone has a right to their opinion.

If Juulsen were not injured during much of his debut, he could be fully worth at least if not more than 15OA. Unfortunately, we can only project he will continue to improve, but there is no basis to suddenly think he will turn into a superstar overnight. He is simply a solid add.

Habs want Zib valued at like 30% of 3OA when it is closer to at least 80, if not 90% minimum. The add is small to moderate at most.

Zib - 3OA
15OA - Juulsen, who was drafted later 26th but is getting there but working out so far
2 lesser pieces reduce difference
Stop with the nonsense. 3rdOA > Zib and Juulson> 15TH OA. That's such an easy no from the Habs that my sides are still hurting from laughing and what's even more funny is your serious.:facepalm:

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Wow. Just shut this down lol. I would maybe do that trade for Max alone, but the rest of the pieces are too much. NYR would have to include Skjei or Chytil.

Get a clue dude. Pac is overpaid and old at this p0int. He's one of those players who got old, real early.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Stop with the nonsense. 3rdOA > Zib and Juulson> 15TH OA. That's such an easy no from the Habs that my sides are still hurting from laughing and what's even more funny is your serious.:facepalm:

Zib + 3OA are very close
Juulson TODAY not clearly worth more than pick
He's worth more than late 20 where drafted, but he is not a clear cut given.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad