Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Ditto no from NY

It appears established that
NY wants 3OA for Zib
and Habs want 9OA also, and
NY will add, but not 9OA

Zib in this package does not work

Agree with GAGLine above about Smith as to a fall back position.
I see deal w/Canes
Smith + Georgiev for Darling + McKeown, which addresses Smith problem.

I see Zuc to FL for 15OA

Zib + 15OA + Kamper + Gropp
for
3OA + Juulsen

something like that

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Ditto no from NY

NY wants 3OA for Zib
NY will add, but not 9OA

I see deal w/Canes

I see Zuc to FL for 15OA

for
3OA + Juulsen

something like that

Why would the Rangers move a promising young back up in Georgiev? If Smith is not in the NHL, he is buried in the AHL for like 1.5m, not an emergency to get rid of him. Plenty of young guys to try out this season. I don't think McKeown is a piece you move Georgiev for.
Why are you hell bent on trading Zib?

I think Zuc. to Fl for the 15th is relatively sane.

Reactions: Rangers_23

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

Why would the Rangers move a promising young back up in Georgiev?
We should max our assets, including ability of G guru coach Benoit Allaire to do wonders.
We have several prospects who can stopgap while we wait for Shesty.
We should not be dumping Geo. just to make space; but if we can flip him into an asset, we should. Geo + Smith gets rid of Smith, adds RD McKeown + Darling. Figure half a yr for BeniAlli to do his magic, showcase the results. By next trading deadline, someone will surrender assets for Darling to replace injured goalie, which happens every year.

If Smith is not in the NHL, he is buried in the AHL for like 1.5m, not an emergency to get rid of him.
Not saying it is an emergency.
Smith for Darling = equally bad contracts.
We can never hope to get max for Smith esp after last season.
Darling if he shows good form again, and someone is desperate to save a season, then yes, we get a good return around early 2019.

Plenty of young guys to try out this season. I don't think McKeown is a piece you move Georgiev for.
Geo. + McKe. are both raw.
Either could outgrow the other
But I would rather have the NYR get a good RD prospect while we have so many backup netminder options.
We can't expect Bigras, Sproul etc if here to cut it.
McKeown is worth adding to the mix, and the price is right.

Why are you hell bent on trading Zib?
Not hell bent.
If he can deliver 2nd or 3rd OA, without much add, and correct pieces included the other way coming to NY, then it would be worth it.

I think Zuc. to Fl for the 15th is relatively sane.
We are not getting more and we should not take less.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I think the pick exchange make this a no-go for the Rangers, there will be a really good player available at 9. Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina, Boqvist, Whalstrom, Hughes should be gone, but one of Tkachuk, Bouchard, Dobson will be on the board.

Without the pick exchange it doesn't make any send though
1 top line winger + 1 second line winger is better then a second line center + 3rd line winger
I think Schlemko is a tad better than Smith too.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Not to take anything away from Pacioretty, but Zibanejad is worth more to the Rangers . He's younger, signed longer, and plays a more important position for us. We have drafted some young centers that will not be taking the #1&#2 role anytime soon unless we want to destroy their development.

While Galchenyuk would be a nice addition, I don't think he's worth giving up the 9th overall pick from a rebuilding team.

Seems like Fast is a throw in for a 2nd round pick and Schlemko. Fast is far more valuable to us than any of those pieces (unless we hit gold with the second). I don't expect teams to offer an overpriced package for Fast, but he's not a guy we're looking to trade. He does absolutely everything we could want from him.

The positives from the above out weigh the negative in Smith's contract. Not worth it just to get that off the books.

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I'm curious to see how Smith does this year after getting back into shape and without AV neutering his best defensive asset which is preventing zone entries.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Ditto no from NY

NY wants 3OA for Zib
NY will add, but not 9OA

I see deal w/Canes

I see Zuc to FL for 15OA

for
3OA + Juulsen

something like that

Talk about terrible for the Habs. Give up the third overall and a good very young dman for the 15th, an ok second line center, a below average (basically AHL) dman, and a minor leaguer....ouch talk about quantity for quality.

RalphyDanger

"Where's the Hustle Boys!"
Nov 1, 2010
Talk about terrible for the Habs. Give up the third overall and a good very young dman for the 15th, an ok second line center, a below average (basically AHL) dman, and a minor leaguer....ouch talk about quantity for quality.

Lol. Did You purposely misrepresent all of the Rangers assets in your post.

15th overall..
Second line center..
And two guys from the minors..

Calling Fast an AHLer shows how much you know about the Rangers.

Reactions: haveandare

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Lol. Did You purposely misrepresent all of the Rangers assets in your post.

15th overall..
Second line center..
And two guys from the minors..

Calling Fast an AHLer shows how much you know about the Rangers.

Maybe you need to learn to read and understand the way quotes work on the site...I was referring to the trade I quoted

for
3OA + Juulsen

And yes Zib is a good second line center maybe borderline 1st line center, if I am giving up the 3rd overall I'd want something much better than him.

RalphyDanger

"Where's the Hustle Boys!"
Nov 1, 2010
Maybe you need to learn to read and understand the way quotes work on the site...I was referring to the trade I quoted

for
3OA + Juulsen

And yes Zib is a good second line center maybe borderline 1st line center, if I am giving up the 3rd overall I'd want something much better than him.

Lol I guess you caught me skipping over a Bern post. My B

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Lol I guess you caught me skipping over a Bern post. My B

No worries I would never call Fast an AHLers he is a solid NHLer and the 9th is much better than the 15th.

I still think the original trade does not work for either team either but hey maybe that's just me.

Reactions: YandleBar

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
yeah this trade makes no sense to either team. Both teams kinda fix one hole but make others worse then what is being fixed. I don't even see realistic adds for either team to make this trade worth it for either team.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
LOL! Bad for rangers... LOL! BAD FOR HABS! omg!

For where the Rangers currently are, the proposed deal makes no sense. They get older and add extra wings at the cost of a 25 year old center and a top 10 pick. So, yeah this is bad for the Rangers.

Last edited:

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
1. This makes no sense for the Rangers as they need Zibanejad right now and they don't need Pacioretty. They'll just sign Kovalchuk to get a veteran scoring winger.

2. Moving a top-10 pick in a rebuild mode for anything less than an elite young player makes no sense for the Rangers.

3. Galchenyuk is young and talented, but I don't see a fit in NY.

Overall, it's just bad for the Rangers and doesn't take into account their organizational direction nor needs.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
This isn't one of those "Both sides hate it so it must be a good trade" This is both sides hating it because it's a bad fit.

Reactions: Rangers_23

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Why? They are basically the same production-wise and Zib is a center which is more valuable (certainly to the Rangers) than a wing.

yeah after thinking twice and seeing the season zib had in terms of driving play, i'd probably just keep him instead of dealing him for Galchenyuk.

free0717

Apr 14, 2004
Old Bridge, NJ
Ditto no from NY

NY wants 3OA for Zib
NY will add, but not 9OA

I see deal w/Canes

I see Zuc to FL for 15OA

for
3OA + Juulsen

something like that
If the Habs threw in Chucky, I would do the deal
Zib and 9 OA for Chucky and 3 OA

Zats Muccarello

Grinder
Dec 30, 2010
NYC
Rangers are in rebuild mode, which means the only way we trade 1sts is to move up in the draft or for young prospects with high potential. Honestly don’t see how this makes either team much better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad