Speculation: Montreal is now clearly a seller

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
None of those were terrible trades. The worst one is the Shaw trade, but you don't expect a 2nd-round pick to turn into Debrincat or obviously you wouldn't make that deal. And this season Weber >>>>> Subban and Drouin was doing better than Sergachev until he got injured.

Petry for a 2nd
Danault & Romanov for Weise & Fleischmann
Domi for Galchenyuk
Tatar & Suzuki for Pacioretty

All huge wins, he's had a lot of smaller wins work out as well. His FA signings (or lack thereof) are his worst work, but I'm confident in his trading ability.
I agree, FA and prospect development have been the problem so far.
He did one good move getting back Radulov from the KHL, but then in the same summer he wasn't able to retain him. Signed Alzner, let Markov walk. Wasn't able to bring in any good FA even tho money was available every year. He did a good move last off season bringing in Chiarot, but that's all.
I have confidence in Joel Bouchard in Laval, but the Sylvain Lefevre tenure was way too long, he never reached the playoffs nor produce a decent nhler in 5+ years.

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
If you actually look at things objectively instead of emotionally, Bergevin for the most part has done a good job. Until the injuries started piling up the Habs were right there in the thick of things in a very strong Eastern Conference. Nobody can predict losing 4 regulars in your top 9 long-term. When healthy they have a young fast, dangerous team that can score, but that is a bit sloppy defensively. I think if they stayed healthy they would have likely made the playoffs.

Having said that, I think the timing is right to sell a few assets in a year with a deep draft. The only way they can make the playoffs now is if a team or two ahead of them falls off a cliff and they go on a crazy tear. Highly unlikely given the injuries. If I were Bergevin I would wait a few more weeks and then start making some players available. I would also not be completely opposed to trading Price if the return is worth it in the long run.

Reactions: sharks9

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
None of those were terrible trades. The worst one is the Shaw trade, but you don't expect a 2nd-round pick to turn into Debrincat or obviously you wouldn't make that deal. And this season Weber >>>>> Subban and Drouin was doing better than Sergachev until he got injured.

Petry for a 2nd
Domi for Galchenyuk

All huge wins, he's had a lot of smaller wins work out as well. His FA signings (or lack thereof) are his worst work, but I'm confident in his trading ability.

Armia & Byron also were trade wins (well waiver with Byron)

Imagine how bad the Habs would be if Bergevin was even just average at trading? Most of the talent has come through trades because the amateur drafting has been such a disaster.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
well fans are alright with a busted season but our current overlord pseudo expert stating the «words» are looking for a jump for joy in a kleenex cuz they want playoff push ...

yeah lol .. when i heard "retooling" , i thought "rebuilding while keeping Weber and Price", os i never expected it to be "scrap this year and make the playoffs the next"
ive been hoping for a full rebuild though

Reactions: Doxinoctae

Gaud

May 11, 2017
I have been saying this for a while to my Habs buddy that Molson needs to embrace the scorched earth approach that the leafs embraced a few years ago. The great part is that the Habs already have some great prospects in the system and just need that one or two big draft years to get true superstars.

Trade
Tatar 1st + Blue Chip(retain 50% to get extra value)
Petry 1st + Blue Chip (retain 50% to get extra value)
Kolvalchuk 3rd
Scandella 2nd (50% retention)
Byron if anybody bites
Weise Late round pick
Cousins late round pick

Send KK, Poehling and Suzuki down to Laval.
Rest Price
Tank like you have never tanked and hope you get another top 3.

yeah… Tatar or Petry dont get you bluechips, as much as i'd like that. Decent prospect plus mid 1st for Tatar; id expect Petry to get a little more, since he seems to be able to handle #1 duties

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Armia & Byron also were trade wins (well waiver with Byron)

Imagine how bad the Habs would be if Bergevin was even just average at trading? Most of the talent has come through trades because the amateur drafting has been such a disaster.

The roster right now is basically what we'd be with out trades. No Armia, Drouin, or Byron. Now put Galchenyuk & Pacioretty in the lineup instead of Domi, Tatar, and Suzuki.

Definitely would be even worse.

Reactions: Steeler23

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
Not going anywhere:
Danault
Gallagher
Drouin
Armia
Kotkaniemi
Suzuki
Weber
Chiarot
Domi
Romanov
Caufield
Poehling
Primeau
2020 1st

Likely not going anywhere:
Price
Mete
Lehkonen
Fleury
*Petry
Byron
... other important picks & prospects

Could be moved:
Thompson
Tatar
Kovalchuk
Cousins
Weal
Lindgren

*Despite my making a Petry proposal thread yesterday, I don't see him being moved without a replacement in place. Not if we're trying to make the playoffs next year.

Even Cousins is good depth and it may not really be worthwhile to trade him.

Last edited:

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Montreal is only 7 points out with half a season remaining. Doubt they'll be sellers after they added Kovi and made a few depth trades.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I don't see them selling especially with Drouin and Gallagher possibly back in another week or two. I would sell Tatar and Petry, if Kovalchuk shows enough that he gets some interest then so be it but I don't think MB sells maybe a small move or if we keep sliding then perhaps Tatar goes as this could be the best time to trade him.

Reactions: Gravity

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Montreal is only 7 points out with half a season remaining. Doubt they'll be sellers after they added Kovi and made a few depth trades.

Being 7 points out is one thing, but having to pass 5 teams is something else. With three point games and 38 games left, it's very hard. Last year, it took 98 points to make the playoffs in the Eastern Conference. This means Montreal would more than likely need 55 points in the last 38 games...This means they need a record of like 24-7-7 in the last 38 games, which is very unlikely.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Tatar could likely get a 1st + decent prospect...
Petry, too, should be able to return something similar to what LA got for Muzzin... maybe a touch less...
Danault would return a 1st... maybe something similar to what Ottawa got for Brassard a few yrs ago...
Scandella, with salary retained, should get a 3rd and maybe another late pick...
Armia could probably get a 2nd... Lehkonen probably returns a bit more...
Nate Thomson would return a late-rounder... Weal would return something small, too...
Byron is a tough one... he might not have value right now but I could see a team giving a mid-rounder + a shorter term contract in return.
Drouin is a tough one, too... I wouldn't give up much for him but I could see a team biting at a relatively high price.

Gallagher and Domi would return more than any of the above guys, but shouldn't be dealt. I won't touch Price or Weber, as those are too complex. Market would be small but I think a few teams would give up quite a bit for them... just tough to make them work cap wise.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Being 7 points out is one thing, but having to pass 5 teams is something else. With three point games and 38 games left, it's very hard. Last year, it took 98 points to make the playoffs in the Eastern Conference. This means Montreal would more than likely need 55 points in the last 38 games...This means they need a record of like 24-7-7 in the last 38 games, which is very unlikely.

I agree the Habs should allow another 1-2 years of retooling. Trade for prospects and picks, give the youngsters an opportunity to play. AVs after the historically poor 2016/17 season were rebuilt in just 3 seasons to possible contenders.

MB seems to be focused on trying to reach the playoffs and wouldn't be surprised if he's a Buyer at the TDL.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I agree the Habs should allow another 1-2 years of retooling. Trade for prospects and picks, give the youngsters an opportunity to play. AVs after the historically poor 2016/17 season were rebuilt in just 3 seasons to possible contenders.

MB seems to be focused on trying to reach the playoffs and wouldn't be surprised if he's a Buyer at the TDL.

If he's a buyer, he will continue to sell tweeners, AHLers and low draft picks for magic beans in the hope that he can somehow save his job by making the playoffs. He's not selling any of our prospects or high draft picks.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
As the OP mentioned the Leafs, they only have 1 asset that is a "Cap dump" and it is Ceci. He's a UFA at years end and a bottom pairing D.

My issue is I don't want to get into this conversation because fans have unrealistic expectations for these kinds of deals. In my mind, him and a 3rd for an AHLer is a fair trade, considering you pick up barely any cap for 2 months of a season and get a draft pick out if it. Ceci walks.

My experience on here is fans will say no we need a first (+) which is just ridiculous. But I think the Leafs would be willing to move a mid round pick or B-/C+ prospect along with Ceci if Montreal wants to pick up 2 months of a bottom pairing D.

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018

Petry for a 2nd
Domi for Galchenyuk

Even Drouin for Sergachev is not that bad either

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
The Weird part is with MB, he makes some of the worst trades I've ever seen, then turns around and makes some of the best ones. It's like he's just throwing darts at the board and some of them stick and some of them dont.

I feel for MTL fans. Kinda.

What trades did he make were "some of the worst you ever seen?"

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
I don't see them selling especially with Drouin and Gallagher possibly back in another week or two. I would sell Tatar and Petry, if Kovalchuk shows enough that he gets some interest then so be it but I don't think MB sells maybe a small move or if we keep sliding then perhaps Tatar goes as this could be the best time to trade him.

Agreed, I would also add the names of Byron and Armia.
Thompson and Weal as well if any teams comes calling for any depth but I don't expect anything more than a 6th rounder there
But the time has come, sell sell sell

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Thompson and Weal as well if any teams comes calling for any depth but I don't expect anything more than a 6th rounder there

I don't see many teams being interested in Byron at 3.4M for 3 more years.

If someone wants him without Habs adding anything I'd jump on it lol

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

you won't get anything of interest for Byron due to his contract and being injured most of the year while not playing well when healthy. Armia I think they hold onto. Weal I don't think they would get anything since he's been a healthy scratch several times from a non playoff team. Thompson I could see them getting something for him.

ginovegas

Dec 15, 2009
Montreal
Shaw
Weber
Drouin

Are the big three I can remember.
Sure you could argue they weren't horrible, but I think they are all terrible trades.
Trading Subban seemed purely driven by racism. Maybe not perpetuated by MB, but probably ownership just didn't like him, not quite sure. But the optics were horrible. Drouin deal long term will continue to get worse and worse. Shaw trade is self explanatory.

Most of MB's deals aren't winners, either.

He only has a few that were flat out great (Petry most notably).

Also his signings and drafting have been arguably his worst work. (Price contract is laughable).

He is not a good GM and clearly has no direction or vision past one day at a time and desperately trying to win even though he should rebuild.

I don't completely agree I think he's made much more goo trades than bad ones. The biggest issue has been the development of their first rounders in the lst decade
Weber for PK
Tatar, Suzuki, Norlinde for Pacioretty
Danault and a 2nd for Weise and Fleischman
A 2nd for Shaw
Petry for a 2nd
Domi for Galchenyuk
Sandela for a 4th
Armia and 2 draft choices to bsorb Masons contract
Thompson for a 5th
Drouin for Sergachev (meh)
i think he won all of them except for the lst one listed
and theres some real good ones in there