Speculation: Montreal is now clearly a seller

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
Shaw
Weber
Drouin

Are the big three I can remember.
Sure you could argue they weren't horrible, but I think they are all terrible trades.
Trading Subban seemed purely driven by racism. Maybe not perpetuated by MB, but probably ownership just didn't like him, not quite sure. But the optics were horrible. Drouin deal long term will continue to get worse and worse. Shaw trade is self explanatory.

Most of MB's deals aren't winners, either.

He only has a few that were flat out great (Petry most notably).

Also his signings and drafting have been arguably his worst work. (Price contract is laughable).

He is not a good GM and clearly has no direction or vision past one day at a time and desperately trying to win even though he should rebuild.
Here we go with the racism card. lolll BS

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Not yet.

A 7 point gap between the habs and the WC #2 spot won't stop Bergevin from going all in.

Bergevin doesn't make "all-in" type acquisitions to chase playoff spots, he is actually very careful at managing assets and is a pretty good trader (The Habs problems come from a 6+ year dry stretch at the draft). Hence his "bargain bin" nickname. Scandella for a 4th and a dice roll on pro tryout for Kovulchuk to patch up injury situation is all he's going to do.

Not really many pending UFAs to unload as rentals, Kovalchuk & Thompson. Some fans will advocate trading Petry & Tatar which is something he might do if he gets great offers but also they are pretty key players and under contract for next year where the Habs will be under pressure to bounce back and have a better season. For example as much as he got a pretty decent return for Shaw last summer, the Habs still had the cap space for him this year and he sure would have been useful to still have these past few months. Trading productive vets for futures can be painful.

Reactions: Steve Shutt

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Shaw
Weber
Drouin

Sure you could argue they weren't horrible, but I think they are all terrible trades.
Trading Subban seemed purely driven by racism. Maybe not perpetuated by MB, but probably ownership just didn't like him, not quite sure. But the optics were horrible. Drouin deal long term will continue to get worse and worse. Shaw trade is self explanatory.

Also his signings and drafting have been arguably his worst work. (Price contract is laughable).

He is not a good GM and clearly has no direction or vision past one day at a time and desperately trying to win even though he should rebuild.

None of those were terrible trades. The worst one is the Shaw trade, but you don't expect a 2nd-round pick to turn into Debrincat or obviously you wouldn't make that deal. And this season Weber >>>>> Subban and Drouin was doing better than Sergachev until he got injured.

Petry for a 2nd
Danault & Romanov for Weise & Fleischmann
Domi for Galchenyuk
Tatar & Suzuki for Pacioretty

All huge wins, he's had a lot of smaller wins work out as well. His FA signings (or lack thereof) are his worst work, but I'm confident in his trading ability.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
These are pointless moves with nothing of value coming back. You have to move guys like Tatar, Petry and Byron and get some 1sts back plus an NHL ready RD prospect.

If we did make any moves like that, I'd expect Bergevin to package picks + prospects to move up in the draft. We already have 11 picks in this draft and you can only have so much depth in your prospect pool, no sense in gathering more picks in rounds 4-7.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
They need 53 points from 38 games which is a 27-11 record. You can’t just look at being 7 points back because you also have to leap frog 4 other teams who have a better record than you and also have a better chance if those teams slip up. Looking at the required win/loss record gives you a better idea. They aren’t going 27-11.

I agree with you, but you underestimate Bergevin. Welcome to our reality.

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
you never compare the picked players in a draft the the player traded for ... thats idiotic.
if a 7th round pick ends up being a 25 goal scorer was it still a bad trade ? the draft is a shitshow. its mostly just luck if a player pans out or not.

overall hes done a decent job but this is a results oriented business. if you miss the playoffs 80% of the time your in charge you should be fired. hes had almost a decade in charge of this sinking ship.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Bergevin doesn't make "all-in" type acquisitions to chase playoff spots, he is actually very careful at managing assets and is a pretty good trader (The Habs problems come from a 6+ year dry stretch at the draft). Hence his "bargain bin" nickname. Scandella for a 4th and a dice roll on pro tryout for Kovulchuk to patch up injury situation is all he's going to do.

Not really many pending UFAs to unload as rentals, Kovalchuk & Thompson. Some fans will advocate trading Petry & Tatar which is something he might do if he gets great offers but also they are pretty key players and under contract for next year where the Habs will be under pressure to bounce back and have a better season. For example as much as he got a pretty decent return for Shaw last summer, the Habs still had the cap space for him this year and he sure would have been useful to still have these past few months. Trading productive vets for futures can be painful.

I agree with you, but I think this is Bergevin's last leg here. 4 misses in 5 seasons, no one survives that. He needs to make it to save his job, he won't get another one in the league imo.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
I believe the Habs have a good roster, with chemistry but had bad luck with injuries - Drouin, Gally, Byron, Armia, Mete. This season is waster but the roster is not bad and the prospect pool is quite good (KK Poehling, Suzuki, Ylonen, Romanov, Brook) even though there is no Crosby/McDavid material !

Given the state of things, it is for sure that if Bergevin went for a rebuild, he could get 3 1sts by trading Tatar, Petry, Price. Does this make your team greater ? Not sure but what is certain is that it delays any possible playoff run and most likely the next GM reaps the benefits of these moves.

To those criticizing Bergevin's trades, this is quite unfair, I do not see any very bad trades since he has been there (Danault, Petry, Tatar, Suzuki, Weber are all great acquisitions with more value now than when he acquired them) Main mistakes were poor drafting and issues with UFA signings and extensions (Radulov out, Alzner in, Price contract) and the lack of consistent strategy regarding the window the Habs were targeting (IMO a playoff run every two year is not a sign of clear franchise strategy)

Alikhan Alizada

Jul 16, 2017
The Weird part is with MB, he makes some of the worst trades I've ever seen, then turns around and makes some of the best ones. It's like he's just throwing darts at the board and some of them stick and some of them dont.

I feel for MTL fans. Kinda.

I'm curious which trade of his were so bad huh??

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
I agree with you, but I think this is Bergevin's last leg here. 4 misses in 5 seasons, no one survives that. He needs to make it to save his job, he won't get another one in the league imo.

Very possible, but I would say 50/50. Depends on if they feel they need to make a fake "do something" move to pacify the fans to buy time for the 2017-2019 draft classes to mature and hopefully turn into some impact NHLers.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
somebody can correct me if I'm wrong but isnt GMMB in the final year of his contract? If it's the case, I can't see him selling for futures, because at this point I believe that his job is on the line...

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016

So according to what you’re saying, the GM of Vancouver, Phoenix, Florida, Ottawa, Buffalo, Anaheim and LA should also be canned because they haven’t been better.

A year and a half ago Bergevin came public with a plan to retool (reset) and he’s been doing a good job so far. We knew growing pains were coming. He won every single trade since and drafted VERY well.

Now he’s got another challenge ahead of him. What do you do with Petry, Tatar, Price and Weber? If he play his cards right we could be a playoff team with an even brighter future as soon as next year.

I don’t think our current team lacks talent. I think we lack maturity right now and only time can fix that. It’s not easy to win on a regular basis with a 19 years old, 20 years old (2) and 21 years old (2) all in the lineup at the same time

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada

Of course he will, Dave Nonis signed Clarkson to one of the worst contracts ever and he still has a job and gets GM interviews. Gauthier has a job, Gainey has a job, etc. If you mean another GM job that's less likely, but he'll be employed in the NHL a few weeks or months after being fired if he does get fired.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
somebody can correct me if I'm wrong but isnt GMMB in the final year of his contract? If it's the case, I can't see him selling for futures, because at this point I believe that his job is on the line...

Nope, he's signed for 2 more years after this one, expires in 2022.

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

Steeler23

Aug 10, 2004
Shaw
Weber
Drouin

I'm sorry but that's probably some of the worst take on Bergevin GM career I've ever read.

- Weber is a clear win. Even at the time. We needed a real leader. Maybe he should've push for a 2nd also? But to say it's one of the worst trade you've ever seen? Laughable.
- Shaw is not especially good, but not bad since he got back a 2nd and 3rd and used Shaw for 3 seasons. If you buy a used car for 5000$ and sold it back for 4800$ 3 years later, even if the car wasn't great, is it really that bad of a deal?
- Drouin contract is getting worst? Are you kidding me? 5.5M for 4 seasons for a 50 pts winger with untaped potential is bad? Wayne Simmonds just got 5M as a UFA, 7/7 for Anders Lee, Yanni Gourde make 5.2 for 6 years with a NTC, Mikael Backlund is making 5.3 for 5 years, Kyle Turris 6, Zucker 5.5, Niederreiter 5.25, Evander Kane 7, Kevin Hayes 7, James Van Riemsdyk 7, Schmaltz shy of 6 without playing a full season yet...

And if you talk about Drouin trade, it wasn't bad. Sergachev have problems and he if you are just amaze by his stats, remember he's playing for Tampa, behind Hedman and McDonaugh. I think Drouin is better, and I'm not the only one, so calling it "one of the worst ever" is again, laughable.

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
Scandella isn't jumping in value from a 4th to a 2nd because Montreal is retaining half of his salary, Kovalchuk won't bring back a 3rd and Kinkaid won't bring back positive value.
In fact, I keep Kovalchuk and re-sign him if he keeps up this level of play. He could be a game changer for us next season.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I agree with those saying that Bergevin's trades have actually worked out quite well for the most part. The issue with the Habs is drafting which has been an issue for a long time. For sure the 2008-20016 drafts have yielded almost nothing, but when you consider that between 2000-2016, out of 19 first round picks, the only player they currently still have is Carey Price, there's a big problem.

We will see what they do. I would be shocked if they went full sell mode unless Bergevin gets a a few offers he just can't refuse and would put this organization back on track for the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad