Speculation: Montreal is now clearly a seller

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
They need to look to Free Agency and someone that will fit in their cap this deadline.

Martinez would be much cheaper.

yeah that might be the way they choose to do things. That being said, Martinez is nowhere near the player Petry is right now.

so it is also a manner of what kind of player they need. Not only price in money and in draft picks / prospects

Mandala

Dec 7, 2006
With the Panthers win, I hope it becomes more obvious that Montreal is a seller.

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
With the Panthers win, I hope it becomes more obvious that Montreal is a seller.
There is a 5 game stretch I’d wait for which would lead up to the deadline perfectly to see what to do.

Washington
Buffalo
Florida
Columbus
New Jersey

3 of the 5 are at home two of which are super bowl weekend. Where the Habs have been fairly decent the last couple of year in those matinees.

if they were to go 4-1 in those 5 games while those teams are in front of them besides New Jersey. Beating 4 of them would put us at 59pts while slowing them in front down a little in the process.

If they go 2-3 or worst 1-4. Wrap it up and begin the calls for deadline to move players out. Even 3-2 is pushing it. I believe they have to go a solid 4-1 to make it worth while to keep pushing. The team is seeming to be hitting a groove. Not that it’s a great time. As Bergevin stated he would assess the team based on where this 5 game stretch before the break went. Of course the team went 4-1 in that stretch to make things still interesting. Another 4-1 out of the gate is going to put Bergevin in a bad spot. Because he will be close to getting Drouin / Gallagher / Byron back and I believe Bergevin believes that if they are close he has to go for it as his job could be in jeopardy if they miss the playoffs.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
There is a 5 game stretch I’d wait for which would lead up to the deadline perfectly to see what to do.

Washington
Buffalo
Florida
Columbus
New Jersey

3 of the 5 are at home two of which are super bowl weekend. Where the Habs have been fairly decent the last couple of year in those matinees.

if they were to go 4-1 in those 5 games while those teams are in front of them besides New Jersey. Beating 4 of them would put us at 59pts while slowing them in front down a little in the process.

If they go 2-3 or worst 1-4. Wrap it up and begin the calls for deadline to move players out. Even 3-2 is pushing it. I believe they have to go a solid 4-1 to make it worth while to keep pushing. The team is seeming to be hitting a groove. Not that it’s a great time. As Bergevin stated he would assess the team based on where this 5 game stretch before the break went. Of course the team went 4-1 in that stretch to make things still interesting. Another 4-1 out of the gate is going to put Bergevin in a bad spot. Because he will be close to getting Drouin / Gallagher / Byron back and I believe Bergevin believes that if they are close he has to go for it as his job could be in jeopardy if they miss the playoffs.
Forget about that. They are done and Bergevin knows it. He just can’t say it publicly or acts consequently yet. And he knows fans know it too and they are resignated. They will accept the selling mode at the deadline. The only thing fans won’t accept is statu quo. That I hope he knows about.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Forget about that. They are done and Bergevin knows it. He just can’t say it publicly or acts consequently yet. And he knows fans know it too and they are resignated. They will accept the selling mode at the deadline. The only thing fans won’t accept is statu quo. That I hope he knows about.

We won't trade Petry or Tatar for cheap. It's possible a deal is negotiated and team circle back due to supply and demand and would rather a guy with an extra year in term but Bergevin did keep Patch at the 18 deadline remember cause the offer was not enough.

Kovalchuk and a few depth guys is really the only pieces we will sell. Maybe Byron but he has term and is not trending well.

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
I was referring to the guy saying that Montreal had no real good young pieces.

Also, can we all agree that our core in the near future is going to consist of Domi, Drouin, Kotkaniemi, Suzuki, Price, Gallagher, Weber and (maybe) Mete and Romanov?

We got elite pieces - Kotkaniemi, Suzuki, Caufield coming up with Romanov/Primeau as outside chances. We’re not in a bad position. We just need time to let the young guys with elite talent we recently drafted to mature a little bit.

I also do believe that with the depth we have, we are good enough to be a playoff team right now even though it’s getting late.
LMFAO - Elite?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

We will sell on Kovalchuk (if he won't extend before the deadline) and a few depth guys. Habs fans thinking we trade Tatar or Petry for a pot of gold are going to be disappointed. They are great 2nd tier type talent on great AAV for one more year but our price would be high. Think MacDonagh return for both Petry and Tatar. Maybe some teams are interested due to the extra year in term and the possibility of extending them but I don't see us trading them for a low return which is likely what will be offered.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
LMFAO - Elite?

Not really, not yet anyways. But they are very good young talent with potential. Things can change quick in the NHL from season to season. Right now, it's about potential. Suzuki and Primeau are the two best who have done very well in their 1st pro years but who knows what jumps Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Caufield, Fleury, Brook, and others take in the next season or two.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
There seems to be a natural fit between Habs and Vegas concerning Petry.

1st + Dorofeyev??

Hague + 2nd?

If Petry was a pending UFA, you would have the value right. But he is on a value contract and you need to think MacDonagh return if Petry is traded for this year and next.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You honestly think anyone could be worse than the Red Wings...

Habs won't out tank any bottom 5 team. And think of it this way... Even if the Habs owned all 10 picks from 6-15, they still only have a 35% chance to win the lottery. It's called a lottery for a reason.

My money is on the Sens getting AL and I'm going to hate that. :facepalm:

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
If Petry was a pending UFA, you would have the value right. But he is on a value contract and you need to think MacDonagh return if Petry is traded for this year and next.

which is?? He was traded with JT Miller who had also good value at the time.

At the end, I think McDonagh went for 1st (very late), 2nd and one of the B prospect they got.

Reactions: Vachon23

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
yeah I think he overkilled it. Right now I can only see Suzuki as a sure elite talent. Others are only potential

I guess it depends on how you define elite, as it is subjective. I think Suzuki is a wonderful player, is having a good rookie season, and will have a fantastic NHL career, but to me, elite means top guys like McDavid, Draisaitl, Eichel, Kucherov, Kane, Panarin, MacKinnon, Marchand, Crosby, Malkin, Ovi, etc....

I don't even put guys like Aho, Teravainen, etc... in the "elite" category.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

Yeah. Of course. McDonagh return and not something sensible like Muzzin return.

In any event, I can't pass on whatever 'McDonagh return' you've got cooked up fast enough. So. Pass.

Keep him. Enjoy him.

Last edited:

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I guess it depends on how you define elite, as it is subjective. I think Suzuki is a wonderful player, is having a good rookie season, and will have a fantastic NHL career, but to me, elite means top guys like McDavid, Draisaitl, Eichel, Kucherov, Kane, Panarin, MacKinnon, Marchand, Crosby, Malkin, Ovi, etc....

i agree it is subjective. And on top of that, we Habs fans haven’t seen an elite offensive talent since a looooooong long time so.

let’s just say he is our best hope at it.

Gaud

May 11, 2017

Gaud

May 11, 2017

I agree.. I think of Elite as Franchise players (even Malkin)

i agree it is subjective. And on top of that, we Habs fans haven’t seen an elite offensive talent since a looooooong long time so.

let’s just say he is our best hope at it.

OMG... who would our last be? When is the last time Mtl had an elite Level offensive forward?
Dont think Damphousse, Turgeon or Koivu count. Kovalev? he was past his prime when we got him.
Don't tell me it is Lafleur :P

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I agree.. I think of Elite as Franchise players (even Malkin)

OMG... who would our last be? When is the last time Mtl had an elite Level offensive forward?
Dont think Damphousse, Turgeon or Koivu count. Kovalev? he was past his prime when we got him.
Don't tell me it is Lafleur :P

yeah sadly pathetic. I would say Kovalev was our last elite offensive talent even though he wasn’t an elite player.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada

Washington
Buffalo
Florida
Columbus
New Jersey

I agree, it depends who we lose to as well though. Going 4-1 with a loss to the Panthers would sink us, while if we lose that game to Washington it's not as big of a deal.

3-2 and we're definitely done as well.

Reactions: The90Tomas

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Trades to make at the TDL.....

Petry to Vegas for their 2020 1st - not protected and Nicolas Hague (comparable to Barrie return)
Tatar to Pittsburgh for Alex Galchenyuk, PO Joseph and 2021 1st - not protected (comparable to Max Patch return....lol)
Kovalchuk plus Habs 4th 2020 to the Oilers for Puljajarvi (Pool Party is worth no more than a second on his own...Kovalchuk plus 4th, balances it out)

and finally.....

Price (25 % retained) to Carolina for Toronto's 2020 1st - not protected.

Ran a lottery....we got the 3rd, 15th and 17th pick

Took Stutzle 3rd
Took Barron - 15th
Took Amirov - 17th

Full rebuild mode with 2 x 2021 1st round picks

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Trades to make at the TDL.....

Petry to Vegas for their 2020 1st - not protected and Nicolas Hague (comparable to Barrie return)
Tatar to Pittsburgh for Alex Galchenyuk, PO Joseph and 2021 1st - not protected (comparable to Max Patch return....lol)
Kovalchuk plus Habs 4th 2020 to the Oilers for Puljajarvi (Pool Party is worth no more than a second on his own...Kovalchuk plus 4th, balances it out)

and finally.....

Price (25 % retained) to Carolina for Toronto's 2020 1st - not protected.

Ran a lottery....we got the 3rd, 15th and 17th pick

Took Stutzle 3rd
Took Barron - 15th
Took Amirov - 17th

Full rebuild mode with 2 x 2021 1st round picks

No. And that is nothing like the Barrie trade. :laugh:

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
Yeah. Of course. McDonagh return and not something sensible like Muzzin return.

In any event, I can't pass on whatever 'McDonagh return' you've got cooked up fast enough. So. Pass.

Keep him. Enjoy him.

I think that's the point. Petry is not being moved before the deadline unless it's an outstanding offer that GMMB can't refuse.

This summer? We'll see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad