Speculation: Montreal is now clearly a seller

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Trades to make at the TDL.....

Petry to Vegas for their 2020 1st - not protected and Nicolas Hague (comparable to Barrie return)
Tatar to Pittsburgh for Alex Galchenyuk, PO Joseph and 2021 1st - not protected (comparable to Max Patch return....lol)
Kovalchuk plus Habs 4th 2020 to the Oilers for Puljajarvi (Pool Party is worth no more than a second on his own...Kovalchuk plus 4th, balances it out)

and finally.....

Price (25 % retained) to Carolina for Toronto's 2020 1st - not protected.

Ran a lottery....we got the 3rd, 15th and 17th pick

Took Stutzle 3rd
Took Barron - 15th
Took Amirov - 17th

Full rebuild mode with 2 x 2021 1st round picks

I like Tatar and Kovalchuk trades and I looooooove the Petry one. And for good reason because you will never get a package like that for Petry. I think you undervalue Hague. He is an early second if I recall right and he is exceeding expectations right now. He is part of the top 6 and doing a great job.

as for your lottery, how do you come out of this with 15 and 17 when Vegas is in the playoffs and Pittsburgh is near the top of the standing?

Mandala

Dec 7, 2006
With the Panthers and Hurricanes win even more so. Now they will want to sell but is the market a buyer's market? It seems that many teams are already out of the playoffs picture.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
With the Panthers and Hurricanes win even more so. Now they will want to sell but is the market a buyer's market? It seems that many teams are already out of the playoffs picture.

The only team I can confidently say is toast would be Detroit.

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007
Marco Scandella has played in 172 out of 204 possible games during his time with the Sabres. He played in 31 out of 40 games this season alone. On average, it's 70 games a season. How on earth does that indicate a #8 defenceman?
He was a healthy scratch in Buffalo. That makes you minimum a 7th d or if you bring in Romanov you drop to 8th.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017

Petry to Vegas for their 2020 1st - not protected and Nicolas Hague (comparable to Barrie return)
Tatar to Pittsburgh for Alex Galchenyuk, PO Joseph and 2021 1st - not protected (comparable to Max Patch return....lol)
Kovalchuk plus Habs 4th 2020 to the Oilers for Puljajarvi (Pool Party is worth no more than a second on his own...Kovalchuk plus 4th, balances it out)

and finally.....

Took Stutzle 3rd
Took Barron - 15th
Took Amirov - 17th

Great way to have an even shittier team for years and years and years and years.

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007
I think that's the point. Petry is not being moved before the deadline unless it's an outstanding offer that GMMB can't refuse.

This summer? We'll see.
Petry and Tatar are going to get traded at the 2020 tdl,draft or 2021 tdl . They are part of the reset

Last edited:

Mike Dukarm

Aug 3, 2018
Montreal
9 pts behind a playoff spot... So Habs are gone, no playoff for sure.

So its time to get picks and prospects for our players

Available:

Petry
Tatar
Kovalchuk
B yron
Chiarot
Thompson
Weal

Will listen on Price, Weber and Domi

CaptnNemo

Nov 4, 2016
I'd like to put out an hypothetical scenario for fun and would like your ideas about it and what would you do if it were you.. Really emphasize on "hypothetical" loll

I'm just curious on how feasible this would be maybe even crazy but maybe not...

Here goes!

You are Bergevin and considering that the draft is in MtL.. You absolutely want 1st pick.. Now whomever as the first pick you pick up the phone and call the GM...
"Listen! (insert team's gm) I want your first pick and I'm offering you 3 players and our 1st this year and next year.. You can choose ANY players in our organization! No matter where they sit right now!"

My questions are :

Is this scenario possible?
If so who do you let go?
Lastly would you (not Bergevin) do anything to get Lafreniere being it reasonable to the limit?

Don't forget you're (Bergevin) willing to do anything to get Lafreniere in Montréal for all the reasons you can think of!

Humour me loll!

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Personally I would do Dermott for Petry but I'm not sure leafs mgmt feels the same he's well liked in the organization

As a Habs fan, I pass on Dermott. He's decent in terms of bottom 4 D quality potential but he is who he is at 23 I believe. Might be similar to what the Habs had before with Beaulieu. He looked good too at 23. Doesn't mean Dermott will go down the same road but not the type of piece I would be looking for.

Wish the Leafs had a deeper prospect pool and own their 1st. We are not good trade partners right now in terms of your prospect pool being thin and you don't have your 1st. Cause the Habs could help with trading Petry at 50% retention. Petry at $2.75M AAV for the rest of this year and next is crazy good value and he is a RD which is harder to acquire. Problem is, we won't be trading him unless we get a Grade A prospect as the prime piece in the package

Reactions: Crosscrease14

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'd like to put out an hypothetical scenario for fun and would like your ideas about it and what would you do if it were you.. Really emphasize on "hypothetical" loll

I'm just curious on how feasible this would be maybe even crazy but maybe not...

Here goes!

You are Bergevin and considering that the draft is in MtL.. You absolutely want 1st pick.. Now whomever as the first pick you pick up the phone and call the GM...
"Listen! (insert team's gm) I want your first pick and I'm offering you 3 players and our 1st this year and next year.. You can choose ANY players in our organization! No matter where they sit right now!"

My questions are :

Is this scenario possible?
If so who do you let go?
Lastly would you (not Bergevin) do anything to get Lafreniere being it reasonable to the limit?

Don't forget you're (Bergevin) willing to do anything to get Lafreniere in Montréal for all the reasons you can think of!

Humour me loll!

Depends on circumstance and what team wins that lottery. Also depends on what pick the Habs get. Lets say our pick is the 8th pick. Best I can think of is Domi and our 1st for the #1 OA. Would I go more than that? Maybe but not substantially more.

Lafreniere looks real good but so did others who went #1 OA. How often does a winger get taken #1 OA? Not often. How do you set his true value? People going to flip out like they usually do but is he a Huberdeau or a Ovi value on the wing? Nobody knows. Right now, all we can say is he looks like a generational talent for sure but it's not a guarantee.

CaptnNemo

Nov 4, 2016
Depends on circumstance and what team wins that lottery. Also depends on what pick the Habs get. Lets say our pick is the 8th pick. Best I can think of is Domi and our 1st for the #1 OA. Would I go more than that? Maybe

Yeah I know it depends on the team and where we pick, it's a factor I understand but I didn't want to put out specifics because that's like winning the lottery loll no pun intended so I figured that a general scenario would be easier for people to comment on. As for your hypothetical opinion, I believe that it would take a lot more than our first and Domi for the 1st OA no matter which team.

Hell if that would be enough, i'd jump right at it! loll

Diver3368

Dec 14, 2013
I agree.. I think of Elite as Franchise players (even Malkin)

OMG... who would our last be? When is the last time Mtl had an elite Level offensive forward?
Dont think Damphousse, Turgeon or Koivu count. Kovalev? he was past his prime when we got him.
Don't tell me it is Lafleur :P

It’s Lafluer. Sorry!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yeah I know it depends on the team and where we pick, it's a factor I understand but I didn't want to put out specifics because that's like winning the lottery loll no pun intended so I figured that a general scenario would be easier for people to comment on. As for your hypothetical opinion, I believe that it would take a lot more than our first and Domi for the 1st OA no matter which team.

Hell if that would be enough, i'd jump right at it! loll

Domi and the 8th OA pick is close. It would be a good starting point. Depends on how deep this draft actually is. Q Hughes went 7th in 2018 for example... You don't think Domi and Hughes is worth AL or it's close?

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal

and finally.....

Took Stutzle 3rd
Took Barron - 15th
Took Amirov - 17th

Keep dreaming if you think that's the type of return the Habs are getting
Pacioretty had 5 seasons of 30+ goals. Tatar never hit 30 in his career and never even came close to in total points in a season

Mike Towers

Aug 8, 2019
Pacioretty had 5 seasons of 30+ goals. Tatar never hit 30 in his career and never even came close to in total points in a season
So what....Kevin Hayes last year as a rental got a 1st and Brendan Lemieux....Ryan Hartman got a 1st.

Mike Towers

Aug 8, 2019

and finally.....

Took Stutzle 3rd
Took Barron - 15th
Took Amirov - 17th

That Vegas trade would only work if Montreal takes back Eakin because Vegas has no cap space.

CaptnNemo

Nov 4, 2016
Domi and the 8th OA pick is close. It would be a good starting point. Depends on how deep this draft actually is. Q Hughes went 7th in 2018 for example... You don't think Domi and Hughes is worth AL or it's close?

I don't think it's close at all (no offense) Imagine if we could get Lafrenière for Domi and our first being 8th like you say, this website would explode and Bergevin would kick God off his throne and sit there while laughing diabolically and everybody would bow to his knees!! lollll

On a more serious note, yeah I do think it would take a lot more hense why I said any of our 3 players no matter whom, our first and next year's. It would be more in these line I believe. Maybe I'm really off but so are you in this case ;)

But it is a good starting point for sure, you just need to ++++

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't think it's close at all (no offense) Imagine if we could get Lafrenière for Domi and our first being 8th like you say, this website would explode and Bergevin would kick God off his throne and sit there while laughing diabolically and everybody would bow to his knees!! lollll

On a more serious note, yeah I do think it would take a lot more hense why I said any of our 3 players no matter whom, our first and next year's. It would be more in these line I believe. Maybe I'm really off but so are you in this case ;)

It's all good. But I do believe Domi and a player like Q Hughes would be a great return for Lafreniere. That team would be getting two young proven pieces and under team control for a long time. Lafreniere could be another Huberdeau or he could be Ovi value as a winger. Don't get me wrong, I'm just as high on AL as anybody else but nobody can predict how good he is. I doubt he's Crosby or McDavid level. Might be a Dahlin, Laine, Svechnikov, or Marner type value. I think you get my point.

I think it would come down to how that team values Domi and what talent they think they can get with the Habs pick... whatever that ends up being. If talent like Huges, Dobson, Boqvist, Sandin, Romanov, Tkachuk types are at play and they know they can get one of them... That might make them think.

Who knows :dunno:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Um... Tatar is not a 30+ goal scorer and I would agree he is not worth Patch but Tatar is on pace for his best season yet. This coming after last year when he had his best season. He's trending very well and on pace for for 70+ pts where Patch never had this yet. The other factor is Patch was not trending well pre-trade... remember the comments made on these boards pre-trade? Did you consider the possibility that he could of gotten more if he didn't have a bad season in 17/18?

Comparing trades has some value but it's only bench marks. Lets not pretend that circumstance in terms of supply and demand matters less

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
When is DRouin and Gallagher coming back? Can't help but feel that they will add quite a bit to MTL, who I think is a playoff caliber team, especially if Price plays well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad