Speculation: Montreal is now clearly a seller

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
So what....Kevin Hayes last year as a rental got a 1st and Brendan Lemieux....Ryan Hartman got a 1st.

Um... Tatar is not a 30+ goal scorer and I would agree he is not worth Patch but Tatar is on pace for his best season yet. This coming after last year when he had his best season. He's trending very well and on pace for for 70+ pts where Patch never had this yet. The other factor is Patch was not trending well pre-trade... remember the comments made on these boards pre-trade? Did you consider the possibility that he could of gotten more if he didn't have a bad season in 17/18?

Comparing trades has some value but it's only bench marks. Lets not pretend that circumstance in terms of supply and demand matters less

Good luck in getting that type of return.
Really hope GMJR looks elsewhere!!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Good luck in getting that type of return.
Really hope GMJR looks elsewhere!!

We do need luck, thank you. But any other team thinking we will liquidate our assets who are on value contracts and producing well for a return that don't fit our needs should think again. I'd hate if we traded Petry for the Muzzin return and it resulted in 3 grade B assets.

Risk management on a proven player with 2 years left vs futures is a two way street. Bergevin is correct when he says trades are hard.

Mandala

Dec 7, 2006
Montreal without injuries is a bubble team, with injuries not so. They need more depth.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
i hope Bergevin gets an extension. i predict he trades some 4th liners this year for 4th and 5th round picks. Next year they are in the mix at trade dealine and keep Petry and Tatar only to then have them walk at the end of their contracts.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
i hope Bergevin gets an extension. i predict he trades some 4th liners this year for 4th and 5th round picks. Next year they are in the mix at trade dealine and keep Petry and Tatar only to then have them walk at the end of their contracts.
Yep. He has a proven track record of doing just that with Pacioretty, Plekanec and Shaw, as well as trading 4th liners Weise and Fleischmann for a shitty return of Phillip Danault and a 2nd round pick that ended up in Alexander Romanov.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
Yep. He has a proven track record of doing just that with Pacioretty, Plekanec and Shaw, as well as trading 4th liners Weise and Fleischmann for a ****ty return of Phillip Danault and a 2nd round pick that ended up in Alexander Romanov.
do you think Bergevin is selling Tatar and Petry this year?

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
It's all good. But I do believe Domi and a player like Q Hughes would be a great return for Lafreniere.

Hughes at #8 is like best case scenario. Recent #8 picks: 2x Nylander, Mittelstadt, Broberg, Boqvist. You dont trade Lafreniere for Domi + that.

Reactions: CREW99AW

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Hughes at #8 is like best case scenario. Recent #8 picks: 2x Nylander, Mittelstadt, Broberg, Boqvist. You dont trade Lafreniere for Domi + that.

Picking just the "8th pick" from each draft don't mean much and I think you missed the point. The point was how deep the draft is this year and if that team that has the #1 pick values the waive of available talent from 6-10 range for example. So it could be a choice from Hughes, Dobson, Boqvist, Tkachuk, Hayton? Any one of these plus Domi basically?

Circumstance is the only way trades like that could happen. I'm not going to hold my breath and I doubt it materializes.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
do you think Bergevin is selling Tatar and Petry this year?

Interesting case for Petry; before Juulsen's injury, i thought he could fit in the #2 RD spot. This would have made Petry an asset to trade.
now i am not sure where Juulsen is with his development, so it looks like trading Petry depends on the Habs' evaluation of Fleury and Brooks.
For that reason, I doubt that Mtl trades Petry before the TDL

Reactions: Vachon23

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Montreal without injuries is a bubble team, with injuries not so. They need more depth.

Accurate to some degree. Problem the Habs have is the gap in time from when our grade A prospects are more mature vs Weber's ticking clock of 3 years left after this year. No so much worried with Price cause elite level goalies don't decline like players do in their 30's. Price's stats this year is a reflection of the team. What Price brings is an edge if you have a cup contender. Kind of what Roy did for the Avs back when. Do they win cups without Roy and get past the Wings? :sarcasm:

Habs actually don't need depth. What team has enough cap space to have an extra 4 top 6/top 9 forwards? Drouin, Gallagher, Armia, Byron. No season ending injuries like before with Price/Gallagher and then Price/Weber but the injuries we have had this year are well above the average amount teams face year to year. Regardless, if we were more healthy, it's another fringe playoff team. Go look at where the Habs were before both Drouin and Byron went down in the same game? I believe we were 6th in the NHL. Not saying we are a for sure top 10 team but I do believe we have knocked on that door here and there.

Last edited:

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Accurate to some degree. Problem the Habs have is the gap in time from when our grade A prospects are more mature vs Weber's ticking clock of 3 years left after this year. No so much worried with Price cause elite level goalies don't decline like players do in their 30's. Price's stats this year is a reflection of the team. What Price brings is an edge if you have a cup contender. Kind of what Roy did for the Avs back when. Do they win cups without Roy and get past the Wings? :sarcasm:

Habs actually don't need depth. What team has enough cap space to have an extra 4 top 6/top 9 forwards? Drouin, Gallagher, Armia, Byron. No season ending injuries like before with Price/Gallagher and then Price/Weber but the injuries we have had this year are well above the average amount teams face year to year. Regardless, if we were more healthy, it's another fringe playoff team. Go look at where the Habs were before both Drouin and Byron went down in the same game? I believe we were 6th in the NHL. Not saying we are a for sure top 10 team but I do believe we have knocked on that door here and there.

HABs are a very young team similar to COL & VAN. Regressed and rebuilt the team through trades and draft. Playing their prospects with extensive ice time hurt their playoff chances. Injuries and poor Goaltending knocked them out of playoff contention, but they should much better next and many more seasons thereafter.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
HABs are a very young team similar to COL & VAN. Regressed and rebuilt the team through trades and draft. Playing their prospects with extensive ice time hurt their playoff chances. Injuries and poor Goaltending knocked them out of playoff contention, but they should much better next and many more seasons thereafter.

I'm sure that day will come for the Habs if they continue to stall to move up the standings in the next season or two.

Mike Towers

Aug 8, 2019
We do need luck, thank you. But any other team thinking we will liquidate our assets who are on value contracts and producing well for a return that don't fit our needs should think again. I'd hate if we traded Petry for the Muzzin return and it resulted in 3 grade B assets.

Risk management on a proven player with 2 years left vs futures is a two way street. Bergevin is correct when he says trades are hard.
Trades are hard for bad GM's and GM's who like making excuses.

Reactions: CupInSIX

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Trades are hard for bad GM's and GM's who like making excuses.

Nah... trades are hard to negotiate where both sides are happy. This is true. And making good trades for the Habs is not Bergevin's problem. Starting the rebuild through the draft in year 5/8 is the biggest problem cause we have a growing pain roster right now with our vets

Mike Towers

Aug 8, 2019
Nah... trades are hard to negotiate where both sides are happy. This is true. And making good trades for the Habs is not Bergevin's problem. Starting the rebuild through the draft in year 5/8 is the biggest problem cause we have a growing pain roster right now with our vets
100% wrong...trades were not hard for Doug Armstrong he got Schenn and ROR....and won the cup...it is called courage.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
so if they dont trade them is it unreasonable that the Habs are in a playoff chase next year and cant trade them.
This assumes Montreal is in a playoff race next season, which is far from certain. I could see Bergevin trying to extend Petry, as there is no one else on the horizon who could eat those minutes. But I'd be surprised if Tatar is still a Hab by the start of next season.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
- Petry (50% retention) to the Jets

- Tatar (50% retention) to the Pens

- Kovalchuk to the Bruins.

Habs need to be happy with the returns or we might keep them all. Doubt we hold onto Kovalchuk though if he won't extend before the deadline. Habs being clearly sellers? That's a false narrative but our phone lines are open

Mandala

Dec 7, 2006
- Petry (50% retention) to the Jets

- Tatar (50% retention) to the Pens

- Kovalchuk to the Bruins.

Habs need to be happy with the returns or we might keep them all. Doubt we hold onto Kovalchuk though if he won't extend before the deadline. Habs being clearly sellers? That's a false narrative but our phone lines are open

Why retention?

According to Cap Friendly, they have plenty of deadline cap space:

Pittsburgh: 8 853 651 $

Winnipeg: 24 241 664 $

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad