HF Habs: Montreal Canadiens Training Camp (Roster & Pre-Season Schedule in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Today should be the day a lots of teams shed the rest of the fat to be roster and cap compliant tomorrow, Habs included.

We already know that Eddy, Byron and Armia will be on IR. This is very convenient, it opens a spot at forwards without having to send down anyone if they keep 14. At least until Armia comes back. They might still try to trade/send down a vet forward or two, but Monday isn't the deadline for that anymore. It's also possible today we will learn more players are day-to-day. :laugh:

At defense, they just got a new guy via waiver claim so they have to keep him on the roster of 7 Ds (if there are 14 forwards). Matheson and Savard are the only regular vets on the team. Wideman is more of a 6th-7th D. That's 4 dmen. That leaves 3 spots for Guhle, Harris, Xhekaj, Barron, Shue, Bowey and Leskinen.

And we don't know if the Habs will pick more shrubs from the waiver wire in the next 24 hours.

Isn't it 3 vet dmen in Matheson, Savard, and Widenan?

So that leaves 4 spots for Guhle, Harris, Xhekaj, Barron, Kovacevic, Shue, Bowey and Leskinen.

I think Guhle makes it to start. So that leaves 3. Could go all vets with Kovacevic, Schue, and Bowey/Leskinen. Or Could start with Harris and Xhekaj and see if the can keep up.

Could Laval's defense really include Barron, Harris, Xhekaj, Fairbrother, and Norlinder?

Last edited:

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015

So that leaves 4 spots for Guhle, Harris, Xhekaj, Barron, Shue, Bowey and Leskinen.

I think Guhle makes it to start. Could go all vets with Schue, Bowey, and Leskinen. Or Could start with Harris and Xhekaj and see if the can keep up.

Could Laval's defense really include Barron, Harris, Xhekaj, Fairbrother, and Norlinder?
I wonder if Guhle playing his opposite side with Xhekaj on the left could become a thing. Both have so much confidence it’s almost bizarre.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021

So that leaves 4 spots for Guhle, Harris, Xhekaj, Barron, Kovacevic, Shue, Bowey and Leskinen.

I think Guhle makes it to start. So that leaves 3. Could go all vets with Kovacevic, Schue, and Bowey/Leskinen. Or Could start with Harris and Xhekaj and see if the can keep up.

Wideman is a vet dmen, but he's not a regular dmen. He was scratched a few games last season.

Kovacevic isn't going down before the season start since he was just acquired on waivers. His spot his locked to start the season. Even more so since he's the only other actual RD beside Savard. So only three spots left to fill.

And no Laval defense can't include all those, some will be sent to the ECHL club in Trois-Rivières.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Just read in the paper this morning that its the first time in franchise history that the team doesnt win a single pre season game, good job MSL.
74 players in camp certainly didn't help create chemistry. We are not a good team anyhow, but the size of the player pool was ridiculous.

Reactions: Rapala

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Wideman is a vet dmen, but he's not a regular dmen. He was scratched a few games last season.

Kovacevic isn't going down before the season start since he was just acquired on waivers. His spot his locked to start the season. Even more so since he's the only other actual RD beside Savard. So only three spots left to fill.

And no Laval defense can't include all those, some will be sent to the ECHL club in Trois-Rivières.

Guhle - Bowey
Xhekaj - Barron
Fairbrother - Norlinder
Leskinen, Green, Dello

Just need Harris up.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

I would send Guhle, Harris, Xhekaj, and Barron to the A to start the season. What was Holland's mantra? You never ruin a prospect by allowing him to spend time in the A.

So Matheson, Savard, Wideman, Kovacevic, Schu, Bowey and Leskinen start the season with the Habs and then we play it by ear as the year progresses. This year is the year of development. We're not chasing the cup or a playoff spot.

Reactions: Gustave

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
I would send Guhle, Harris, Xhekaj, and Barron to the A to start the season. What was Holland's mantra? You never ruin a prospect by allowing him to spend time in the A.

So Matheson, Savard, Wideman, Kovacevic, Schu, Bowey and Leskinen start the season with the Habs and then we play it by ear as the year progresses. This year is the year of development. We're not chasing the cup or a playoff spot.
I'm inclined to agree with you. I would stack the AHL. They'll learn to play together without the constant losing.

Reactions: Habs Icing

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Xhekaj is a really interesting case. He brings a robust element in a way that changes the team. He would help the team in a way. However, being in the AHL might ease the transition by playing in a league where the play is a bit slower. Although, with the way our NHL team is thinking development first, NHL might be a fine way for him to develop also. If he stays, it would be optimal for him to be #6, play regularly, but limited minutes. No PK time yet, no PP. Playing in the A would allow special units time and generally more time on ice. Lots to consider.

Guhle and Harris are the two youngsters who are most ready to step on NHL ice and not be caught up by the speed of it. They make the squad imo. Kovacevic for obvious reasons. Schueneman maybe stays because there is no reason to worry about his development.

Guhle - Savard
Matheson - ?? (Kovacevic or Schueneman)
Harris - Wideman
7th: whoever isn't playing next to Matheson
We did the same last year as well no?
Didnt we win a meaningless last game of preseason or something?

I'm assuming we claim Valimaki.
It would be nice. Valimaki has actual real potential to be a long term player. I am surprised he was waived, but they are in win now mode, and maybe he took a step back lately?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

True, but it's even getting crowded in Laval for development purposes.

Guhle Barron
Xhekaj Harris
Fairbrother Norlinder

All 6 of these players should be developed.

But is it best to develop them without AHL vets surrounding them?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Xhekaj is a really interesting case. He brings a robust element in a way that changes the team. He would help the team in a way. However, being in the AHL might ease the transition by playing in a league where the play is a bit slower. Although, with the way our NHL team is thinking development first, NHL might be a fine way for him to develop also. If he stays, it would be optimal for him to be #6, play regularly, but limited minutes. No PK time yet, no PP. Playing in the A would allow special units time and generally more time on ice. Lots to consider.

Guhle and Harris are the two youngsters who are most ready to step on NHL ice and not be caught up by the speed of it. They make the squad imo. Kovacevic for obvious reasons. Schueneman maybe stays because there is no reason to worry about his development.

Guhle - Savard
Harris - Wideman

It would be nice. Valimaki has actual real potential to be a long term player. I am surprised he was waived, but they are in win now mode, and maybe he took a step back lately?

Sutter is not a fan of him, not helped by injuries when Sutter came in.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

Laval will also petition the league for an increase to four periods per game so that the prospects who don't make the NHL can get in the minutes they need.

If the league balks, the Habs can offer to shorten the NHL games to keep the scores from running up while we play bottom-half AHL players in the NHL in order to satisfy snowflake fans who don't want to see their chou-chou prospects "struggle" against NHL competition in order to improve.

What do you think Guhle really needs to master to become a star at the NHL level: to avoid Brady Tkachuk's forechecking or Laurent Dauphin's?

Funny how Brady Tkachuk never played in the minors and that's ok, no one here says he would have prgoressed more playing in Belleville. And that was after a season of EIGHT GOALS in 40 games in the NCAA.

What about Tim Stutzle? Also never played in Belleville. Scored at only an 18 goal pace his first year but got better playing against the best - imagine that!

Josh Pinto? No AHL time.

Drake Batherson one year.

Josh Norris one year. And by the way, after a full year starring in Belleville, Norris started off on the third line in Ottawa, no fast track to star status by beating up on AHL players.

AHL development is by and large, in my opinion worth half the equivalent development time in the NHL. But if a player can't handle the NHL, the AHL is the most logical choice.

As you said we are not chasing a playoff spot this year, at any cost. We can afford our top 3 prospects to learn in the NHL, and give the ones not yet ready time in the AHL to slowly improve and try again next year.

Guhle (2nd pair), Xhekaj (3rd pair), Slaf in Montreal (3rd line).

Barron and Harris first pair in Laval. Mesar in Laval (improvement will be faster than in Junior), Heineman in Laval if we can swing it.

And by the way, when Ken Holland was saying this, he did not have a single draftee as high as Guhle, never mind Slaf. He also had very strong 3rd and 4th line players that lower draft picks were not able to dislodge on their first attempts. Totally different context.

Last edited:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Laval will also petition the league for an increase to four periods per game so that the prospects who don't make the NHL can get in the minutes they need.

If the league balks, the Habs can offer to shorten the NHL games to keep the scores from running up while we play bottom-half AHL players in the NHL (MOD).

What do you think Guhle really needs to master to become a star at the NHL level: to avoid Brady Tkachuk's forechecking or Laurent Dauphin's?

Funny how Brady Tkachuk never played in the minors and that's ok, no one here says he would have prgoressed more playing in Belleville. And that was after a season of EIGHT GOALS in 40 games in the NCAA.

What about Tim Stutzle? Also never played in Belleville. Scored at only an 18 goal pace his first year but got better playing against the best - imagine that!

Josh Pinto? No AHL time.

Drake Batherson one year.

Josh Norris one year. And by the way, after a full year starring in Belleville, Norris started off on the third line in Ottawa, no fast track to star status by beating up on AHL players.

AHL development is by and large, in my opinion worth half the equivalent development time in the NHL. But if a player can't handle the NHL, the AHL is the most logical choice.

As you said we are not chasing a playoff spot this year, at any cost. We can afford our top 3 prospects to learn in the NHL, and give the ones not yet ready time in the AHL to slowly improve and try again next year.

Guhle (2nd pair), Xhekaj (3rd pair), Slaf in Montreal (3rd line).

Barron and Harris first pair in Laval. Mesar in Laval (iimprovement will be faster than in Junior), Heineman in Laval if we can swing it.

What about how Guhle can develop his offensive capabilities better if he doesn't have to spend 99% of his effort defending against star player?

I want Guhle to be Shea Weber/Ryan Suter, not Robyn Regher.

Reactions: Habs Icing

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
What about how Guhle can develop his offensive capabilities better if he doesn't have to spend 99% of his effort defending against star player?

Guhle has been able to provide offence this pre-season. By the way, the guy with the hardest shot of the Big Three prospects is Xhekaj.

I trust the staff to not tell these guys to concentrate 99% on defence.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I wasn't exactly sure, but Capfriendly has confirmed that the final cuts are today. Or at least the ones that requires waivers, since they have to be sent through today to not be on tomorrow's roster.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral

Guhle - Savard
Harris - Wideman

Yeah. Turns out we won two last year. Zero this year.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015

That was my thinking as well but hard to go against 3 goals in preseason. I think he starts in the NHL then we reevaluate in around 2 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad