HF Habs: Montreal Canadiens Training Camp (Roster & Pre-Season Schedule in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Don't mind.

I would try him until Ed's back. We can try him on the PP... Wideman is our ''only'' offensive d-man... (hahaha)

wideman had 27 points as career high
matheson had 31 points last year
savard put up 36 points a few years back

all bad options for a first powerplay QB. may just be better to go with one of the youngsters or 5 forwards...

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021
Don't mind.

I would try him until Ed's back. We can try him on the PP... Wideman is our ''only'' offensive d-man... (hahaha)

So my guess for the 23 players:

F (14)
Anderson
Caufield
Dach
Dadonov
Drouin
Dvorak
Evans
Gallagher
Hoffman
Monahan
Pezzetta
Pitlick
Slafkovsky
Suzuki

IR: Armia, Byron, Heineman
AHL: RHP, Ylonen

D: (7)*
Guhle
Harris
or Leskinen (or waiver claim)
Kovacevic
Matheson
Savard
Wideman
Xhekaj

IR: Edmundson
AHL: Barron, Bowey, Schueneman

* Hughes said 2 rookies on the roster ,... so I guess we pick a player or Leskinen stays

G: (2)
Allen
Montembeault

AHL: Primeau

Up to 4 rookies on the roster. Seems too much.
I‘d keep 1 extra F and 2 extra Ds. Either Ylonen or RHP stays up. Our hypothetical 3rd extra D needs to play, and we keep 1 Forward in case of injury.

Last edited:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I‘d keep 1 extra F and 2 extra Ds. Either Ylonen or RHP stays up. Our hypothetical 3rd extra D needs to play, and we keep 1 Forward in case of injury.

Can't do that unless you send down Caufield and Slafkovsky.
Waiver eligible not waived (so they have to be on the roster Monday)
Suzuki Gallagher Anderson
Dach Dadonov Hoffman
Dvorak Pitlick Drouin
Evans Pezzetta Monahan

Waiver exempt
Caufield, Slafkovsky

IR: Armia , Byron

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021
Can't do that unless you send down Caufield and Slafkovsky.
Waiver eligible not waived (so they have to be on the roster Monday)
Suzuki Gallagher Anderson
Dach Dadonov Hoffman
Dvorak Pitlick Drouin
Evans Pezzetta Monahan

Waiver exempt
Caufield, Slafkovsky

IR: Armia , Byron
You’re right. I had misread the original post. I counted 12 instead of 14. And we do have 2 extras Fs already… Incidentally, IMO both Ylonen and RHP outplayed Drouin. So they’re stuck with a headache there. Can they shipshape Drouin in a couple of days? Good luck with that.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
You’re right. I has misread the original post. And we do have 2 extras Fs already… Incidentally, IMO both Ylonen and RHP outplayed Drouin. So they’re stuck with a headache there. Can they shipshape Drouin in a couple of days? Good luck with that.

They could waive Drouin Monday and recall RHP/Ylonen on Tuesday if they want, but that won't happen.

Reactions: jaffy27

Tetragrammaton

Mar 17, 2022
The quantity of veterans the Habs currently have does not equate to quality that's for sure.
Hughes has some serious challenges in the coming days.
Challenges? Those vets are perfect for the Tank!

Gallagher
Armia
Drouin
Dadonov
Hoffman
Allen
Montembeault
Savard
Wideman

You keep these Tank commanders around! Top 3-5 lottery pick here we come!!

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Amazing how many useless vets can all be on one team
Hughes acquired or extended half of them...

Gallagher
Armia
Drouin
Dadonov
Hoffman
Allen
Montembeault

Savard
Wideman

Imo the list is missing Byron as well... but Byron, Drouin, and Dadonov are leaving and will combine for a total, what, 80-90 points this season? It won't be too hard to replace them I hope. Hoffman and Armia are more annoying to think about.

I'm really against the Allen extension, I think it was unnecessary to rush that one.

Jul 6, 2016
You’re right. I had misread the original post. I counted 12 instead of 14. And we do have 2 extras Fs already… Incidentally, IMO both Ylonen and RHP outplayed Drouin. So they’re stuck with a headache there. Can they shipshape Drouin in a couple of days? Good luck with that.
These two guys can be sent down to Laval easily. Not Drouin. Not been impressed with any of the three. Pezzetta was nowhere to be seen either.

Hughes acquired or extended half of them...

Gallagher
Armia
Drouin
Dadonov
Hoffman
Allen
Montembeault

Savard
Wideman

Imo the list is missing Byron as well... but Byron, Drouin, and Dadonov are leaving and will combine for a total, what, 80-90 points this season? It won't be too hard to replace them I hope. Hoffman and Armia are more annoying to think about.

I'm really against the Allen extension, I think it was unnecessary to rush that one.
Allen's contract is fine. He is going to be a good mentor, #2 goalie IF and when Habs bring up a kid or find a better goalie on the market.

Amazing how many useless vets can all be on one team
They always say that vets don't brake a nail during pre season games.....

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
These two guys can be sent down to Laval easily. Not Drouin. Not been impressed with any of the three. Pezzetta was nowhere to be seen either.

Allen's contract is fine. He is going to be a good mentor, #2 goalie IF and when Habs bring up a kid or find a better goalie on the market.
I'm so tired of hearing about intangible intangibles and "he'd be a good mentor"... how did Weber's presence affect his partner Nathan Beaulieu? How did it affect Victor Mete? How did Price's presence help any of his backups and deputies? The effect is nil.

Allen is a good guy but he's not a #1. They gave him that contract because they want to develop a goalie in house and bring him up slowly -- I respect that but I don't need to like knowing that Allen will be our starter goalie for this season and at least the one after... and the one after that he'll be an unnecessarily highly paid back up. Just isn't my idea of a good time.

Jul 6, 2016
I'm so tired of hearing about intangible intangibles and "he'd be a good mentor"... how did Weber's presence affect his partner Nathan Beaulieu? How did it affect Victor Mete? How did Price's presence help any of his backups and deputies? The effect is nil.

Allen is a good guy but he's not a #1. They gave him that contract because they want to develop a goalie in house and bring him up slowly -- I respect that but I don't need to like knowing that Allen will be our starter goalie for this season and at least the one after... and the one after that he'll be an unnecessarily highly paid back up. Just isn't my idea of a good time.
You can't draw water out of a rock. Weber was idolized by all his teamates.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
You can't draw water out of a rock. Weber was idolized by all his teamates.
That doesn't mean he had any tangible impact on their abilities, performance, or results.

Having Allen around might be good for the lockerroom vibes but it won't have any noticeable impact on the progression and career trajectory of any of his teammates.

Reactions: Tyson

Jul 6, 2016
That doesn't mean he had any tangible impact on their abilities, performance, or results.

Having Allen around might be good for the lockerroom vibes but it won't have any noticeable impact on the progression and career trajectory of any of his teammates.
The real impact is to be solid, reliable in front of his net for 30-40 games a season. That will give time to others to progress.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
wideman had 27 points as career high
matheson had 31 points last year
savard put up 36 points a few years back

all bad options for a first powerplay QB. may just be better to go with one of the youngsters or 5 forwards...

Matheson put up 31 points with almost no pp time due to Pit using 4 forwards as they have done forever with Letang as the only dman. He has legitimate skill and may very well be our best option. He has a good shot with incredible feet and good hands......his decision making is the variable that will make or break him on the PP.

Last edited:
Reactions: jrom

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I was guilty of listening to Timmins regarding Mete, instead of trusting my own eyes. Guhle is mot Mete.

Yes, sure let's go with that. Yet Dobes can be Dryden in 2023-2024. Let's see how accurate your eye is.

And you ignored the Chabot history. Chabot only posted 0.4 ppg his first season in the league. And yet he learned to get better!

You are lying. I did not ignore it, I acknowledged there is a chance Guhle will be totally fine never going to the AHL. I only said that your approach is riskier. You, however, have ignored the countless examples of players rushed to the NHL who ended up disappointing despite being considered sure things in their rookie year, falling back on the "they were not ready" excuse in hindsight.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Yes, sure let's go with that. Yet Dobes can be Dryden in 2023-2024. Let's see how accurate your eye is.

You are lying. I did not ignore it, I acknowledged there is a chance Guhle will be totally fine never going to the AHL. I only said that your approach is riskier. You, however, have ignored the countless examples of players rushed to the NHL who ended up disappointing despite being considered sure things in their rookie year, falling back on the "they were not ready" excuse in hindsight.
Here's the thing. Plenty of prospects will "disappoint". The majority even. It's the nature of the beast. Playing them in the minors may temporarily seem better, because they might "star" for a while, but ultimately who cares about a guy who stars in the AHL? Charles Hudon's wife and Daniel Carr's Mom? Not me.

Despite popular wisdom, I don't think Victor Mete disappointed only because he was rushed. Mostly, it was because he is too small, has no shot, and can't defend, all while being easily pushed off the puck. He is also not that creative offensively. Even had he played Junior in his 19 yo year, and AHL for two more years, he would still be a limited player today, just about ready to go to Europe.

Will Dobes be 2023's Dryden? Highly unlikely, that is a best case scenario. But Dobes being NHL calibre sometime soon seems possible. His numbers are through the roof in the NCAA, and he has the size and athleticism to compete in the bigs. I think if he turns pro after this year, he could progress pretty quickly. He is our best G prospect in my opinion.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Here's the thing. Plenty of prospects will "disappoint". The majority even. It's the nature of the beast. Playing them in the minors may temporarily seem better, because they might "star" for a while, but ultimately who cares about a guy who stars in the AHL? Charles Hudon's wife and Daniel Carr's Mom? Not me.

Despite popular wisdom, I don't think Victor Mete disappointed only because he was rushed. Mostly, it was because he is too small, has no shot, and can't defend, all while being easily pushed off the puck. He is also not that creative offensively. Even had he played Junior in his 19 yo year, and AHL for two more years, he would still be a limited player today, just about ready to go to Europe.

Will Dobes be 2023's Dryden? Highly unlikely, that is a best case scenario. But Dobes being NHL calibre sometime soon seems possible. His numbers are through the roof in the NCAA, and he has the size and athleticism to compete in the bigs. I think if he turns pro after this year, he could progress pretty quickly. He is our best G prospect in my opinion.

What do you think stiffled the creativity of a 0.88 PPG OHL D in his D+1? Skills need to be utilized to be developed. Barely hanging on Weber for first pair duties is not a proper development environment.

You just illustrated the problem with your thinking. Any prospect succeeding while rushed to the NHL was good enough and every prospect that failed was not. This is dependent on hindsight and thus is of little value. For example, if Dobes ends up busting, you will just turn around and say he wasn't good enough, but if he ends up being a #1 goalie you will be clamoring your theory once again.

If you think your thinking actually has value, please state every prospect we have and if they will be NHLer or not.

The AHL is an easier development path, better taken by most.

Some player will go through directly to the NHL, but it's majorly the elite of the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad