HF Habs: Montreal Canadiens Training Camp (Roster & Pre-Season Schedule in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetragrammaton

Mar 17, 2022
It's not about the staff, it's about how difficult it is to defend in the NHL vs AHL and reaction time.

Providing offence in preseason doesn't mean much or Brandon Bochenski would have been an NHL superstar.

The AHL would make it easier for Guhle to develop his offensive capabilities. More reaction time so it's easier to train his brain for opportunities.

I prefer "slower growth" but more chances to hit ceiling than "faster growth" but less chances to hit ceiling.

We can take our time with our prospects to maximize the hit rate and we should use it. We don't "need" Guhle in the NHL this year, it just lowers the chances of hitting his ceiling by throwing him in a high pressure situation.
Agreed, I would send Guhle, Barron and Harris to Laval for the year, possibly call Guhle up if there’s any injuries. Laval Calder Cup Championship should be the goal this season.

JackEye I would keep with the Habs to start the season, if he shows he can’t handle it he can be sent down as well.

We have more than enough players to help our tank this season: Shuneman, Leskinen, Kovacevic, etc, I would start the year with them.

Reactions: Habs Icing

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Agreed, I would send Guhle, Barron and Harris to Laval for the year, possibly call Guhle up if there’s any injuries. Laval Calder Cup Championship should be the goal this season.

JackEye I would keep with the Habs to start the season, if he shows he can’t handle it he can be sent down as well.

We have more than enough players to help our tank this season: Shuneman, Leskinen, Kovacevic, etc, I would start the year with them.

I would keep Harris.
Guhle spend around third/half a year in the AHL.
Norlinder at TDL if we trade some Ds.
Barron, Fairbrother and Xhekaj the whole year.

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
I would keep Harris.
Guhle spend around third/half a year in the AHL.
Norlinder at TDL if we trade some Ds.
Barron, Fairbrother and Xhekaj the whole year.
Fairbrother might wind up in TR. Not based on ability, but with so much missed time he needs minutes which he won't get with all the young players in Laval

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
Hey somebody correct me on this…..

When a player is selected on waivers he cannot be sent to selecting teams farm system?

Does Kovacevic have to stay on our NHL roster or be sent back to the team we picked him from…or does he just have to pass through waivers again???????

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

So someone made the team.

When a player is selected on waivers he cannot be sent to selecting teams farm system?

Does Kovacevic have to stay on our NHL roster or be sent back to the team we picked him from…or does he just have to pass through waivers again???????

He would have to pass through waiver again.

If Winnipeg are the only one to lay a claim, they can send him down without waiver.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I wonder if Guhle playing his opposite side with Xhekaj on the left could become a thing. Both have so much confidence it’s almost bizarre.
I don't know but I haven't like Guhle's game on that side until last evening. It was an eye opener. Sure he'll make mistakes and sure he'll always be better on his strong side but given our needs I LIKE.

Reactions: Naslundforever

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Schuneman gone. That means it's a dogfight between Kovacevic, Guhle, Barron, Harris, Leskinen and Xhekaj, with only Kovacevic requiring waivers. Methinks a lot of these guys will travel Laval-Montreal quite often during the year.

I wouldnt be surprised if Wideman gets waived later in Octobre or November. He has been putrid, and there are plenty of guys knocking at the door

Reactions: Redux91 and Rapala

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Matheson - x
Guhle - Savard
Wideman - Harris

Question is who we pair with Matheson. Will it be Leskinen or maybe the new guy we just acquired?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

So someone made the team.

He would have to pass through waiver again.

If Winnipeg are the only one to lay a claim, they can send him down without waiver.

Matheson Wideman
Guhle Savard
Leskinen Kovacevic
Harris/Xhekaj/Barron - aside from Guhle, no rookie yet for sure in the top 6.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
74 players in camp certainly didn't help create chemistry. We are not a good team anyhow, but the size of the player pool was ridiculous.
The main reason I give poor marks to this regime's first camp. Evaluation be damned. The top (coaching staff) should be evaluating the top players period. We have personnel in place at every level to evaluate at that level. It's not like most of us couldn't identify the cream after two or three days of camp. Sure 8 preseason games is too much but there were enough healthy bodies around to deal with it. Many of the players we saw didn't deserve more than 1 game.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
That was my thinking as well but hard to go against 3 goals in preseason. I think he starts in the NHL then we reevaluate in around 2 weeks.
Or we just give him every opportunity including 1st wave PP and 3v3 now. It's not like anyone else is lighting the candle on the back end. He can make as good or better plays than Wideman and has better decision making overall. He just needs REPS.

3 without NICK.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Schuneman gone. That means it's a dogfight between Kovacevic, Guhle, Barron, Harris, Leskinen and Xhekaj, with only Kovacevic requiring waivers. Methinks a lot of these guys will travel Laval-Montreal quite often during the year.

I wouldnt be surprised if Wideman gets waived later in Octobre or November. He has been putrid, and there are plenty of guys knocking at the door
I agree I don't think Wideman is HuGo's preferred cup of tea.

Reactions: Habs13

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Correct on the first question. The player has to be kept on the claiming team’s NHL roster otherwise he will be exposed to waivers if the claiming team tries to assign him to its farm system.

On the 2nd question, it depends when the Habs would waive him. If they exposed him to waivers within 30 days of their claim, Jets get first dibs on reclaiming the player. If however they were to expose the player to waivers after the said 30 day period then he goes through the normal waivers claiming process that involves all teams ranked by priority.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
With only Shue and Bowey getting waived, it means Monty is the backup (for 2 Gs)
Also, 3 among Leskinen, Guhle, Harris, Xhekaj and Barron have made the team unless there is a surprise waiver claim tomorrow at 2pm (for 7 Ds)
And unless of a big surprise*, Slaf has made the season opening roster (for 14 Fs)

*They decided to keep RHP instead or to only have a 22 men roster instead of 23 or Armia can play despite saying he wouldn't.

It's also possible there are more injuries and RHP/Ylonen stays up too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kennerback

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
Correct on the first question. The player has to be kept on the claiming team’s NHL roster otherwise he will be exposed to waivers if the claiming team tries to assign him to its farm system.

On the 2nd question, it depends when the Habs would waive him. If they exposed him to waivers within 30 days of their claim, Jets get first dibs on reclaiming the player. If however they were to expose the player to waivers after the said 30 day period then he goes through the normal waivers claiming process that involves all teams ranked by priority.
Thanks, my son owes me a beer….lol.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
With only Shue and Bowey getting waived, it means Monty is the backup (for 2 Gs)
Also, 3 among Leskinen, Guhle, Harris, Xhekaj and Barron have made the team unless there is a surprise waiver claim tomorrow at 2pm (for 7 Ds)
And unless of a big surprise*, Slaf has made the season opening roster (for 14 Fs)

*They decided to keep RHP instead or to only have a 22 men roster instead of 23 or Armia can play despite saying he wouldn't.

It's also possible there are more injuries and RHP/Ylonen stays up too.

It's impossible to know yet who made the team, a lot of these guys don't require waivers so they will be cut tomorrow. And there might be another waiver claim for us tomorrow. Guys like Slaf and Xhekaj are not safe yet, and Harvey-Pinard/Ylonen are sure to be cut unless more injuries

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Another leftie....

Don't mind.

I would try him until Ed's back. We can try him on the PP... Wideman is our ''only'' offensive d-man... (hahaha)

So my guess for the 23 players:

F (14)
Anderson
Caufield
Dach
Dadonov
Drouin
Dvorak
Evans
Gallagher
Hoffman
Monahan
Pezzetta
Pitlick
Slafkovsky
Suzuki

IR: Armia, Byron, Heineman
AHL: RHP, Ylonen

D: (7)*
Guhle
Harris
or Leskinen (or waiver claim)
Kovacevic
Matheson
Savard
Wideman
Xhekaj

IR: Edmundson
AHL: Barron, Bowey, Schueneman

* Hughes said 2 rookies on the roster ,... so I guess we pick a player or Leskinen stays

G: (2)
Allen
Montembeault

AHL: Primeau

Up to 4 rookies on the roster. Seems too much.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad