HF Habs: Montreal Canadiens Hockey Ops - Part 2

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
If I'm Gordon/Hughes , I'm waving as much money and official titles/roles as he could possibly want at Madden, that's for sure. Him running our amateur scouting department would be a dream come true .

That's only if Madden chooses to leave. Because until then, Hughes and Gorton and Molson can wave anything they want. No one will see them.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
If I'm Gordon/Hughes , I'm waving as much money and official titles/roles as he could possibly want at Madden, that's for sure. Him running our amateur scouting department would be a dream come true . Pay him as much as a GM, I don't care, just make it happen.

if the results are there, financially it makes sense. He'd end up generating revenues that would cover more than the salary difference. easily.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
It's not about requesting permission. I think it's more like Madden will prefer leaving the Ducks to pursue other opportunities since they won't promote him internally.

It's just more wishful thinking on our part. For all we know, he wants to stay there and is happy with his role.
I think Madden Jr is totally content in his current role. I really don't think any NHL team would deny permission for a staff member to be interviewed and receive a higher role when the same team doesn't intend to promote him.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Coles notes?
Thx!

Mostly ball-washing by Brière. I didn't listen to the interview, just relying on the text that accompanied it. I can't stand Mario Langue-sale, the 98.5FM interviewer who probably heavily influenced Brière along the path of the lame answers he ended up providing.

Brière's honored to have been invited to the second round of Habs GM interviews.

Geoff and Jeff showed a lot of class by calling him the morning of that the final decision was announced. They did so before Hughes was named and Brière appreciated it. Geoff and Jeff made some comments to Brière that he's choosing to keep to himself.

Says he was impressed by Hughes' first media forays. He also ball-washed Gorton and said that the Habs' future is in good hands with him as VPHO.

He says the Montembeault situation where no one came to his rescue is comparable to what happened to Ryan Miller when he was with the Sabres.

Bottom line, a silly fluff piece where you learn nothing all thanks to the ultimate bootlicking demagogue zealot, Mario Langue-sale.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
That's only if Madden chooses to leave. Because until then, Hughes and Gorton and Molson can wave anything they want. No one will see them.
There's also such a thing as too many chefs in the kitchen.
Not saying that would be the case but Madden would have to agree to whatever role and responsibilities Gorton & Hughes see him in.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
The Miller-Lucic incident happened years after Brière left Buffalo, no?

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
I think Madden Jr is totally content in his current role. I really don't think any NHL team would deny permission for a staff member to be interviewed and receive a higher role when the same team doesn't intend to promote him.
I am pretty sure Lebrun said the Ducks refused to give Montreal permission to talk to him. Mellanby left Montreal after getting butt hurt over not getting the GM job and Montreal still allowed him to interview for other jobs prior.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I am pretty sure Lebrun said the Ducks refused to give Montreal permission to talk to him. Mellanby left Montreal after getting butt hurt over not getting the GM job and Montreal still allowed him to interview for other jobs prior.
What we don’t know is whether Madden Jr, let it be known to Ducks he wasn’t interested in moving to another org / satisfied being out of sight & out of mind doing what he did best for Ana

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Burrows interviewed by JF Chaumont. He says that according to him, the Habs need to build around a core of young players.

He mentioned Suzuki, Caufield, and Romanov on the higher tier of their youth. He then lists Evans, Poehling, Guhle, Norlinder, Vejdemo, and RHP as the next tier.

Marinaro on TSN690 thinks that maybe Hughes spoke with Ducharme and Ducharme in turn spoke to his coaching staff. Of course, that's Marinaro's interpretation.

Reactions: Mandalorian

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
'Pat is about persistence': What are the Anaheim Ducks getting in Pat Verbeek, their newest GM?

"Now, there is the matter of Madden and Nonis, both of whom have collaborated with Solomon and Marchant during this interim period after Murray. The Ducks highly valued Madden, the scouting honcho that has had a big role in stocking Anaheim’s teams. They did not give Montreal permission to interview him, and he was promoted to assistant GM when Ron Francis wanted him in Seattle. But now that he’s not the choice, will Madden want to stay? Perhaps Nonis will want to seek a third turn as a GM elsewhere. Verbeek may also want to bring along someone he has worked closely with in either of his prior spots."

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
So the Sabres placed another goalie (Houser) on waivers and again the Habs passed??? What the hell? Allen is still out, for what, 5 weeks? Primeau still up. I don't get why they're passing on goalies when they have 2 echl guys playing in Laval.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
So the Sabres placed another goalie (Houser) on waivers and again the Habs passed??? What the hell? Allen is still out, for what, 5 weeks? Primeau still up. I don't get why they're passing on goalies when they have 2 echl guys playing in Laval.

I assume they want to keep the contract spots? Also, taxi squads are ending so they'll gain back 1 goalie.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
The difference between these Canadiens and some of these other laggards of the past 15 years, generally, is that those teams under-invested in their roster to chase the future. Montreal’s current and forward-looking cap expenditures are heavy.

Jeff Gorton and Kent Hughes have a whale of a job ahead of them.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
I assume they want to keep the contract spots? Also, taxi squads are ending so they'll gain back 1 goalie.
Ya but in the meantime, they're keeping Primeau up where he shouldn't be. McNiven is hurt (don't know what happened there) and Allen is still out for weeks. I said it a while ago. If Allen is back in time, trade him. Then you go with Monty and whoever u pick up on waivers. Send Primeau down to make a playoff run in Laval. If Monty or Primeau gets hurt anytime soon, they're screwed. Why they passed on Houser is beyond me. They could easily waive him if they ever needed to.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site

I get that a lot of the players have given up, and that pretty much any injury is deemed "unplayable" at this point, but you really need to take into account that despite the team salary, they do have a LOT of legit, long term injuries, including the number 1 goalie, number 1 D, another veteran D, their number 2 goalie, along with forwards all up and down the lineup. Few teams if any could be competitive

Mandalorian

Screw the tank, just WIN BABY!
Jan 3, 2022
In your head, rent free

Burrows interviewed by JF Chaumont. He says that according to him, the Habs need to build around a core of young players.

He mentioned Suzuki, Caufield, and Romanov on the higher tier of their youth. He then lists Evans, Poehling, Guhle, Norlinder, Vejdemo, and RHP as the next tier.

Marinaro on TSN690 thinks that maybe Hughes spoke with Ducharme and Ducharme in turn spoke to his coaching staff. Of course, that's Marinaro's interpretation.

Now that’s an interesting quote, wonder what the likes of Gallagher, Petry, Drouin, Price and Dvorak would think about that.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
'Pat is about persistence': What are the Anaheim Ducks getting in Pat Verbeek, their newest GM?

"Now, there is the matter of Madden and Nonis, both of whom have collaborated with Solomon and Marchant during this interim period after Murray. The Ducks highly valued Madden, the scouting honcho that has had a big role in stocking Anaheim’s teams. They did not give Montreal permission to interview him, and he was promoted to assistant GM when Ron Francis wanted him in Seattle. But now that he’s not the choice, will Madden want to stay? Perhaps Nonis will want to seek a third turn as a GM elsewhere. Verbeek may also want to bring along someone he has worked closely with in either of his prior spots."

We’ll see how persistent and persuasive Verbeek is with Job 1 — not losing Madden.

BenG

Sep 15, 2015
Montreal
Geoff and Jeff made some comments to Brière that he's choosing to keep to himself.

Do you know the context of this comment? Was it positive, in regards to a specific topic, etc.?

Like Brière and hope they bring him on to the team as AGM if Madden is unavailable.

Reactions: Runner77

RandomTask26

Jan 6, 2020
Would be great to get madden but if it happens, it likely happens after the draft. Doubt Anaheim would let him go before that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad