OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: New season of plundering begins

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You can clearly tell Skenes is nervous, he's a bit wild to start and throwing 20 pitches in the 1st isn't quite ideal. Figure he'll only end up going about 5 today.

Still though, the dude already has the nastiest stuff of anyone on the Pirates. His stuff is a tier above Jones and I don't mean that as a slight on Jones even in the slightest.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Glad he got a break and the inning didn't go sour because of a few nerves on that walk.

I imagine the nerves will remain for the first start, but one thing that I think might be surprising with him is that he'll be capable of first pitch weak contact outs. It didn't show up a ton in AAA because so few of the batters he faced were even capable of putting him in play but I think it could manifest as he starts his MLB career.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I didn't actually realize Cruz was on a bit of a run recently, he's back to a 108 OPS+ on the year which is identical to what he has had in the last 2 years. I'd hope for more power but I don't mind him sitting at a .270/.310/.420 slash line.

I may prefer him as a leadoff hitter with that kind of slash line than a worse average but higher slugging in the middle of the lineup.

Reactions: DaveG

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Glad he got a break and the inning didn't go sour because of a few nerves on that walk.

I imagine the nerves will remain for the first start, but one thing that I think might be surprising with him is that he'll be capable of first pitch weak contact outs. It didn't show up a ton in AAA because so few of the batters he faced were even capable of putting him in play but I think it could manifest as he starts his MLB career.

Good example of that weaker contact on that Happ groundout just now.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Thank goodness for challenges because apparently MLB umps being able to see a clear-as-day tag 3 feet in front of their face is unreasonable.

How long until Livvy is complaining about Paul's run support?

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
This post didn't age well.

Thank goodness I put the reverse jinx on.

anchorman-60.gif

Reactions: DaveG and Factorial

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think you had to pull Skenes there with Bellinger coming up, I just hate that they went to Nicolas. The dude is terrible and wasn't going to be any better against the heart of the lineup than Skenes.

Mr Jeff Jimerson

May 9, 2013
I think you had to pull Skenes there with Bellinger coming up, I just hate that they went to Nicolas. The dude is terrible and wasn't going to be any better against the heart of the lineup than Skenes.
Kyle Nicolas makes me absolutely sick to my stomach. He is single handedly ruining Skenes Day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad