HF Habs: Montreal Canadiens Hockey Ops - Part 2

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I don't see any huge difference in philosophy between Hughes and MB. The main difference is that Hughes is more willing to pay term for older players when it makes sense and more willing to move up in the draft. I don't take the 'drafting is like throwing darts' in the same context that Basu said it. Hughes said it is indeed like that in the later rounds but not early on in a draft. History has shown that even the 1st round has many misjudgment of player evaluation for all teams...i see that comment more for his scouts to say he believes in them and if they really want a guy he will do what it takes to get him.
Hughes himself said he is more into bargain shopping after the first few days of free agency.
I am however pleased that he wants to invest more in scouting and player development.

I hear from many media sites that the best time to reshape your team is at the draft...well ok but there has been very little player movement from any NHL team at the last few drafts. More buyouts than anything.
Bergevin said one thing and did something else.....the guy never followed through on anything, except lowering expectations and moving goalposts.................these guys over the next 2-3 seasons will actually build a hockey team, if they actually follow through on what they say, so let's give them a couple of seasons to show us..........
We gave the clown GM almost 10 years, so we should be able to suffer another 2-3..........surely.

I see huge differences already, in the two new guys, compared to MB.
Only time will tell if they turn into Rinse and Repeat Purple Pants kind of guys.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Bergevin said one thing and did something else.....the guy never followed through on anything, except lowering expectations and moving goalposts.................these guys over the next 2-3 seasons will actually build a hockey team, if they actually follow through on what they say, so let's give them a couple of seasons to show us..........
We gave the clown GM almost 10 years, so we should be able to suffer another 2-3..........surely.

I see huge differences already, in the two new guys, compared to MB.
Only time will tell if they turn into Rinse and Repeat Purple Pants kind of guys.
A million times this. We’re building through the draft, but never got additional 1st round picks. We’re going to be a fast skilled team, goes out and gets bottom line slugs. We’re going to give kids a chance to play, only plays vets. We’re going to let ice time be based on merit, only play vets no matter how bad they play or good youngsters play.

Literally never knew what was going on. Said they had a plan but never did.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
A million times this. We’re building through the draft, but never got additional 1st round picks. We’re going to be a fast skilled team, goes out and gets bottom line slugs. We’re going to give kids a chance to play, only plays vets. We’re going to let ice time be based on merit, only play vets no matter how bad they play or good youngsters play.

Literally never knew what was going on. Said they had a plan but never did.
In fairness, Gallagher, Lekhonen got their TOI from the get go, be it regular season or playoffs… they also possess similar characteristic traits…

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
In fairness, Gallagher, Lekhonen got their TOI from the get go, be it regular season or playoffs… they also possess similar characteristic traits…
If that's all you got after a decade...God that's pathetic. Those are exceptions.

Reactions: Mr Mom

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
If that's all you got after a decade...God that's pathetic. Those are exceptions.
In fairness none of the other kids have exactly torn it up in other parts…. which is another issue altogether about poor identification of amateur talent

BTW - they weren’t exceptions, they personified the traits valued by management, be it right, wrong or indifferent - character & work ethic, which Galchenyuk, Beaulieu etc just didn’t possess

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
In fairness none of the other kids have exactly torn it up in other parts…. which is another issue altogether about poor identification of amateur talent

BTW - they weren’t exceptions, they personified the traits valued by management, be it right, wrong or indifferent - character & work ethic, which Galchenyuk, Beaulieu etc just didn’t possess

You can't say that when they brought in guys with well established character issues like Kassian, Semin, Drouin...
This team had no outline. It's random targeting.

Btw, Galchenyuk also got his TOI and he did well, they just didn't know how to get him to the next level and they penalized him for it.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I’m feeling more optimistic of Habs poaching Madden Jr than ever before - was 5% now 35% hopeful

Depends how scorched he might be. Hard to tell, the guy was described in here like a bit of a recluse who only wanted to be involved in scouting so not being chosen as GM may not be a dealbreaker for him in terms of staying on.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Depends how scorched he might be. Hard to tell, the guy was described in here like a bit of a recluse who only wanted to be involved in scouting so not being chosen as GM may not be a dealbreaker for him in terms of staying on.
Is it wrong of me, if I’m hoping Madden Jr tells Verbeek heading to PC tomorrow to go f*ck himself? :sarcasm:

Reactions: Runner77

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I don't see any huge difference in philosophy between Hughes and MB. The main difference is that Hughes is more willing to pay term for older players when it makes sense and more willing to move up in the draft. I don't take the 'drafting is like throwing darts' in the same context that Basu said it. Hughes said it is indeed like that in the later rounds but not early on in a draft. History has shown that even the 1st round has many misjudgment of player evaluation for all teams...i see that comment more for his scouts to say he believes in them and if they really want a guy he will do what it takes to get him.
Hughes himself said he is more into bargain shopping after the first few days of free agency.
I am however pleased that he wants to invest more in scouting and player development.

I hear from many media sites that the best time to reshape your team is at the draft...well ok but there has been very little player movement from any NHL team at the last few drafts. More buyouts than anything.
The positive difference might be that, while there seem to be similarities between MB and Hughes, the latter starts with a clean slate and a team in the gutter, so he will not be forcing things the way Berg did during his retool. Also, the change of philosophy when it comes to drafting and development is certainly a departure from what we're seen under the previous regime. Let's hope the words are put into action.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Is it wrong of me, if I’m hoping Madden Jr tells Verbeek heading to PC tomorrow to go f*ck himself? :sarcasm:

Madden Jr. to Verbeek tomorrow.

6Ch4.gif

Reactions: the

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
I don't see Anaheim giving us permission to talk to Madden Jr. for the same job position he currently has with them.
I don’t really know how it’s work but if his conrract is to the end, can he wait and try another opportunity elsewhere? Make a jude brackett from himself?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I don't see Anaheim giving us permission to talk to Madden Jr. for the same job position he currently has with them.

It's not about requesting permission. I think it's more like Madden will prefer leaving the Ducks to pursue other opportunities since they won't promote him internally.

It's just more wishful thinking on our part. For all we know, he wants to stay there and is happy with his role.

Reactions: Vachon23

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
I don’t really know how it’s work but if his conrract is to the end, can he wait and try another opportunity elsewhere? Make a jude brackett from himself?
If he has a closed contract and it ends, he can do whatever after.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Groomed to be a GM where? Not in Anaheim.
I consider Pierre Dorion as a really good Scout. But imo, he is clearly not the best Manager. I prefer a guy like Kent Hugues to manage our roster than Madden. Obviously, Anaheim saw thE same thing. Hugues negotiate during his whole agent careeer, madden was looking for junior talent, not the same thing at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad