News Article: Montreal Canadiens Draft Preview

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Fucale is the next coming of marc andre fleury do not want.

I know it's the 'in thing' to hate MAF, but Price is taking his career down the same path, so I wouldn't insult the guy too much.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I have answer already about the article format so I won't address it any more.

Here's what I want to say but can't about Subban. He still makes a lot of mistakes with the puck both defensively and offensively when trying to do too much. He loses his man around the net way too often, still takes himself out of the position going for the big hit and does a poor job boxing out in front of the net. There are a lot of mistakes in his game which still need correction in order to be a number one defenseman in the NHL. I don't think Subban should have been the Norris Trophy winner, I think Ryan Suter is the better defenseman but I also don't agree with Karlsson being the winner last year either. To me, the Norris trophy is for the best defenseman, not the best defenseman with the most offensive points. The winner should be the best two-way defenseman with all facets of the game being considered. When I wrote the article, my worry was Subban's play would regress if he won the Norris trophy. We all know his head is a little too big and he might go back to trying to make the spectacular plays for the roar of the crowd. For Subban to have continued success, he has to continue to simplify his overall game and keep the "I" attitude in the past. The Canadiens will need him to be way better in both ends of the rink if they are even going to make the playoffs this coming season. The same goes for players like Diaz and Emelin among others, they both have to continue to play better this coming season while Bergevin continues his plan to rebuild the Canadiens into a balance mix of character, toughness, grit, high end skill and scoring talent. They need far more depth at all positions in order to compete with the like of Boston, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Ottawa even Washington, in the eastern Conference.

Character, toughness, work ethic, and potential offensive talent will be important attributes that the Canadiens will be looking for when selecting this year's draft prospects

What I was trying to say was that the Canadiens would be looking more at these types of player than the high end skill players that don't have grit in their games. If there's a choice between two players, the Canadiens will be leaning more towards these types of players. These are the type of players missing in the Canadiens' prospect system and their NHL line-up. We have enough two-way players and speedy scorers but so little in the way of big bodied, tough, physical that love to attack the net a la Gallagher. I don't have the space necessary to write this so I have to put it in one sentence. The editor will just cut it out and he has the right to change what I put in the article. Even the other player considered isn't exactly what I put down.

I hope explains it all better for you.

explains it better... though couldn't disagree more with some of the points:

- There are a lot of mistakes in his game which still need correction in order to be a number one defenseman in the NHL.

i think perhaps you need to spend more time watching other games... Chara, Suter, Weber, Doughty... niedemayer in his prime, Pronger in his prime... all of these players were guilty of some of the faults you find in Subban's game. Being a "#1" dman, or even winning a norris, does not mean a player plays mistake free.

While I agree that the points factor is overly weighted in norris voting, if you really believe that Subban's game isn't strong enough to considered a "#1" dman, I guess we just understand the game of hockey very very differently.

- We all know his head is a little too big

sorry, but speak for yourself. This B.S assessment has more to do with prejudice and unfounded bias than in reality. He plays with emotion, and he at times tries to do too much... it's called being an elite talent. Look accross the board in any sport and you see much of the same. Just because an elite athlete doesn't have the Joe Sakic poker face demeanour doesn't mean he's full of himself... or at least not any more so than the majority of elite performers, in any sport, HAVE to be in order to push themselves to the athletic heights that they do.

- he might go back to trying to make the spectacular plays for the roar of the crowd.

seriously... where do you come up with this stuff? Now his problem is that he understands the impact his performance can have on the home crowd? Have you ever watched a soccer game? Have you ever seen an NHL goal scored by any young player in his home arena? :help:

- The Canadiens will need him to be way better in both ends of the rink if they are even going to make the playoffs this coming season.

As I pointed out, this point is pure nonsense... The habs and every single other team in the league, would be thrilled to have Subban at "ONLY" the level he played at last year in their top pairing... and save perhaps 2-3, as their #1 minute cruncher.
The Canadiens need a lot of things to make the playoffs any year, but a "better Subban" is by FAR the least of their "needs".

- When I wrote the article, my worry was Subban's play would regress if he won the Norris trophy.

that comment shows that you haven't really followed his career...
all he's done since getting drafted is:
- make team Canada (WJC) and play a big role in his first year invited to camp on a gold medal winning team (the coaching staff -led by Pat Quinn- obviously seeing more in him than the "No D in Subban" that superficial observers labelled him with.
- make team Canada a second time, win a second gold medal, as the anchor of the shut-down top-pairing (again, his coaches/teammates clearly appreciating more than just his "offensive" skills).
- win Dman of the year in his rookie season as a pro in the AHL
- Play 20+ minutes/game (2nd for dmen once markov went down), while scoring 8 pts in 14 games, in his first NHL playoff series (with just 2 NHL games under his belt before that), helping the franchise make it's deepest postseason run in 2 decades
- Play 22+ min/game in his Rookie season, followed by 28+min/game in the playoffs, losing in 7 to the eventual cup winners and being, by far, the best player in that series
- Win a Norris at 24, despite missing training camp & the start of the season (b/c his GM spent too much time listening to detractors and not enough time closely watching game tape, i guess...)

and after all this, after ~6 straight years of hard earned success created largely in the face of outright hostile and biased criticism and doubt every step of the way, the kid is going to "let it go to his head" and stop improving... stop working at perfecting his craft the way he has all of his adult life (and most of his teen years as well)...

COME ON...

not trying to be mean, but takes like that don't quite fit with aspiring sports writers unless its the Gagnon/Todd/Simmons school of "shock" appeal one is after. Absolutely no substance to it, nor any grounding in even remotely factual observation.

as for the 2nd point... i get what your saying, though if you have time in the future, might be worth reworking your sentences to avoid the trite generalizations that don't really say anything. There are a lot of sports writers out there who work with similar space/editorial constraints who still find a way to craft sentences that make convincing arguments... i'm sure you're familiar with many but would be glad to share some with you via PM if your looking for more.

that said, this comment made me smile:
We have enough two-way players and speedy scorers but so little in the way of big bodied, tough, physical that love to attack the net a la Gallagher.

i get what you're saying... don't much agree (Habs tried that "big-bodied" focal point approach in the 90's to disastrous effect). Size + skill/smarts/work ethic, sure, perfect, but otherwise skill/smarts/work ethic are FAR more important criterias, and judging by MB's brief stint thus far, I think he'll go that route as well (Prust, Armstrong & Bouillion are ALL smallish in their roles, Ryder/Halpern not big-bodied... yet there were plenty of UFA/Trade targets since he took over who were "big bodied" & available that he didn't pursue aggressively).

David Thicke

May 6, 2011
Montreal, QC
explains it better... though couldn't disagree more with some of the points:

- There are a lot of mistakes in his game which still need correction in order to be a number one defenseman in the NHL.

i think perhaps you need to spend more time watching other games... Chara, Suter, Weber, Doughty... niedemayer in his prime, Pronger in his prime... all of these players were guilty of some of the faults you find in Subban's game. Being a "#1" dman, or even winning a norris, does not mean a player plays mistake free.

While I agree that the points factor is overly weighted in norris voting, if you really believe that Subban's game isn't strong enough to considered a "#1" dman, I guess we just understand the game of hockey very very differently.

- We all know his head is a little too big

sorry, but speak for yourself. This B.S assessment has more to do with prejudice and unfounded bias than in reality. He plays with emotion, and he at times tries to do too much... it's called being an elite talent. Look accross the board in any sport and you see much of the same. Just because an elite athlete doesn't have the Joe Sakic poker face demeanour doesn't mean he's full of himself... or at least not any more so than the majority of elite performers, in any sport, HAVE to be in order to push themselves to the athletic heights that they do.

- he might go back to trying to make the spectacular plays for the roar of the crowd.

seriously... where do you come up with this stuff? Now his problem is that he understands the impact his performance can have on the home crowd? Have you ever watched a soccer game? Have you ever seen an NHL goal scored by any young player in his home arena? :help:

- The Canadiens will need him to be way better in both ends of the rink if they are even going to make the playoffs this coming season.

As I pointed out, this point is pure nonsense... The habs and every single other team in the league, would be thrilled to have Subban at "ONLY" the level he played at last year in their top pairing... and save perhaps 2-3, as their #1 minute cruncher.
The Canadiens need a lot of things to make the playoffs any year, but a "better Subban" is by FAR the least of their "needs".

- When I wrote the article, my worry was Subban's play would regress if he won the Norris trophy.

that comment shows that you haven't really followed his career...
all he's done since getting drafted is:
- make team Canada (WJC) and play a big role in his first year invited to camp on a gold medal winning team (the coaching staff -led by Pat Quinn- obviously seeing more in him than the "No D in Subban" that superficial observers labelled him with.
- make team Canada a second time, win a second gold medal, as the anchor of the shut-down top-pairing (again, his coaches/teammates clearly appreciating more than just his "offensive" skills).
- win Dman of the year in his rookie season as a pro in the AHL
- Play 20+ minutes/game (2nd for dmen once markov went down), while scoring 8 pts in 14 games, in his first NHL playoff series (with just 2 NHL games under his belt before that), helping the franchise make it's deepest postseason run in 2 decades
- Play 22+ min/game in his Rookie season, followed by 28+min/game in the playoffs, losing in 7 to the eventual cup winners and being, by far, the best player in that series
- Win a Norris at 24, despite missing training camp & the start of the season (b/c his GM spent too much time listening to detractors and not enough time closely watching game tape, i guess...)

and after all this, after ~6 straight years of hard earned success created largely in the face of outright hostile and biased criticism and doubt every step of the way, the kid is going to "let it go to his head" and stop improving... stop working at perfecting his craft the way he has all of his adult life (and most of his teen years as well)...

COME ON...

not trying to be mean, but takes like that don't quite fit with aspiring sports writers unless its the Gagnon/Todd/Simmons school of "shock" appeal one is after. Absolutely no substance to it, nor any grounding in even remotely factual observation.

as for the 2nd point... i get what your saying, though if you have time in the future, might be worth reworking your sentences to avoid the trite generalizations that don't really say anything. There are a lot of sports writers out there who work with similar space/editorial constraints who still find a way to craft sentences that make convincing arguments... i'm sure you're familiar with many but would be glad to share some with you via PM if your looking for more.

that said, this comment made me smile:
We have enough two-way players and speedy scorers but so little in the way of big bodied, tough, physical that love to attack the net a la Gallagher.

i get what you're saying... don't much agree (Habs tried that "big-bodied" focal point approach in the 90's to disastrous effect). Size + skill/smarts/work ethic, sure, perfect, but otherwise skill/smarts/work ethic are FAR more important criterias, and judging by MB's brief stint thus far, I think he'll go that route as well (Prust, Armstrong & Bouillion are ALL smallish in their roles, Ryder/Halpern not big-bodied... yet there were plenty of UFA/Trade targets since he took over who were "big bodied" & available that he didn't pursue aggressively).

Wrong again! I am not a sports writer and don't intend on being one. This is part-time only. Sorry, if I seemed to hurt your feelings with my comments on PK Subban but I call it like I see it. No, I don't listen to the B.S. that all the analysts have to say about P.K Subban or any other player for that matter. I'll trust my own instincts especially after playing, coaching and refereeing for 35+ years in minor hockey and being a Habs fan for 46 years. I have seen live in action a lot of great hockey players and played with and coached quite a few myself. How about you?

Secondly, I am a huge PK Subban fan and defend him all the time as well as any Habs' player because they are my ONLY team. I see the mistakes the team makes but still want them to do their best and win the Stanley Cup every year. It doesn't change for me just because they have a bad year or a great year. I also believe Subban needs to be true to himself to play his best but he loves the crowd and tries to do too much when he hears the roar or the boos. If you don't see that then I can't help you. He still needs to learn less is better. The game of hockey is all about mistakes if you hadn't noticed and all players make them but Subban continues to make the same ones. You might want to watch a little closer when he plays. PK Subban will be the Habs #1 defenseman for years to come but he has so much more to learn about the game to get to that level. Markov still needs to teach PK so much about how to run the power play and not just use his big shot because the Habs will have a far more dangerous power play when PK learns how to use the other teams' over playing his shot as a decoy to set-up the open player(S). He's getting better at it but needs to read the other teams movements and box formation then react at a quicker pace to counter them. His maturity will bring more patience, poise and vision with the puck and less eager excitement to make a play that just isn't there or work himself into a bad position with no exit options or outlets. Unfortunately, I believe PK has the best chance of all the Habs' present defensemen with the exception of the lower level prospects (they're just more raw than him) to bring his play to a whole other level. That's the only way the Canadiens defense is going to be better if there are more improvements in personnel. No PK Subban isn't the problem with Canadiens' defense corps. I never said he was and I have watched PK since he was with the Belleville Bulls.

I guess we will just have agree to disagree on what the Canadiens need in their prospect pool to become a better balanced hockey team. I never said big, tough dumb no skilled knuckle dragging goons. I was talking about player that won't back down, use their size to drive the net against the Charas of the league and have the skills and hands to put the puck in the net. I agree that there's over priced crap on the UFA market that are bigger in size but that doesn't mean tough or more skilled. Bergevin knows what he's doing and has a plan like I stated in my article. Just look at his management team and the Chicago Blackhawks, you know what kind of team he's going to build. This is way more than I want to say in reply to your post.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Subban at 43rd overall is the second most successful has draft choice of my lifetime.

Roy was drafted 51st when i was a few months old.

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
I'd take Jordan Subban rapidly (early 2nd). And Im sure he wasnt invite in Habs 'camp' for a matter of confidentiality. I dont care if hes small or he had badp playoffs. He'd be training with PK in the NHL. And even if hes small, hes build like a rock. Bouillon's style.

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
MB will not open his cards before the draft.
WE all know what the habs need and with 6 picks in the top 90 Timmons will get the HABS what they need. Just a few years ago the entire prospect pool was BAD BAD BAD and the defense was the worst part. Well with Subban, Tinordi, Beaulieu things look a lot better. Last year Timmons took the best player available and nailed some really good prospects. This year Timmons will look for not just size but prospects that don't mind imposing their will. This time the Habs need grit that can play. Like I said MB will not open his hand on who or which players, we will just have to wait and see.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Fucale is the next coming of marc andre fleury do not want.

I don't think you could come up with a worse comparison for Fucale. The only thing they have in common is size and province.

Fleury has great athletic ability trying to play goalie, he is not strong techically or mentally and when it falls apart it really falls apart.

Fucale is like Price, all about positionning and poise, he is very tough mentally and focused, never gets ratted, in fact it's his #1 strength. Athletically he is slightly above average.

In terms of the article, getting Morin at #25 would be a huge steal. I can't see him getting past #19 or 20 in the draft, just too much upside.

David Thicke

May 6, 2011
Montreal, QC
I don't think you could come up with a worse comparison for Fucale. The only thing they have in common is size and province.

Fleury has great athletic ability trying to play goalie, he is not strong techically or mentally and when it falls apart it really falls apart.

Fucale is like Price, all about positionning and poise, he is very tough mentally and focused, never gets ratted, in fact it's his #1 strength. Athletically he is slightly above average.

In terms of the article, getting Morin at #25 would be a huge steal. I can't see him getting past #19 or 20 in the draft, just too much upside.

I agree with you.

The question could be will the Canadiens try to trade up for Morin or just sit hoping to get him at #25 or just take someone else? He was available for me so I chose him, it was a no-brainer but how early will he really go and to which team? This draft has so many possible scenarios that any predictions will likely be wrong and could change with each selection. I'll leave the tea leaf reading and predictions to the gypsies!

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I agree with you.

The question could be will the Canadiens try to trade up for Morin or just sit hoping to get him at #25 or just take someone else? He was available for me so I chose him, it was a no-brainer but how early will he really go and to which team? This draft has so many possible scenarios that any predictions will likely be wrong and could change with each selection. I'll leave the tea leaf reading and predictions to the gypsies!

It's a really tough draft to get a feel for after the top 10. Lots of guys could rise or fall on draft day. Though there are 5-6 guys that won't be top 8-9 but won't make it to 25 like Morin, Lazar Horvat Shinkaruk Zadorov(unless the Russian factor REALLY kicks in big time) and Hartman. Lazar, Hartman, Morin and Horvat are guys I could see the Habs trade up for though if they are there at 19-20-21 for a late 2nd or 3rd(plus #25 pick).

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005

Bergevin and Timmins might move up a few notches (as in the Tinordi deal), although I don't see them getting within the top 10.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Bergevin and Timmins might move up a few notches (as in the Tinordi deal), although I don't see them getting within the top 10.

Agreed, as per my last post. I could see them sacrifice a late 2nd or 3rd to move up 5-7 spots.

If they can get picks back from Ryder and Weber it would make a move up easier(by adding 3rd to 5th type picks).

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
I have answer already about the article format so I won't address it any more.

Here's what I want to say but can't about Subban. He still makes a lot of mistakes with the puck both defensively and offensively when trying to do too much. He loses his man around the net way too often, still takes himself out of the position going for the big hit and does a poor job boxing out in front of the net. There are a lot of mistakes in his game which still need correction in order to be a number one defenseman in the NHL. I don't think Subban should have been the Norris Trophy winner, I think Ryan Suter is the better defenseman but I also don't agree with Karlsson being the winner last year either. To me, the Norris trophy is for the best defenseman, not the best defenseman with the most offensive points. The winner should be the best two-way defenseman with all facets of the game being considered. When I wrote the article, my worry was Subban's play would regress if he won the Norris trophy. We all know his head is a little too big and he might go back to trying to make the spectacular plays for the roar of the crowd. For Subban to have continued success, he has to continue to simplify his overall game and keep the "I" attitude in the past. The Canadiens will need him to be way better in both ends of the rink if they are even going to make the playoffs this coming season. The same goes for players like Diaz and Emelin among others, they both have to continue to play better this coming season while Bergevin continues his plan to rebuild the Canadiens into a balance mix of character, toughness, grit, high end skill and scoring talent. They need far more depth at all positions in order to compete with the like of Boston, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Ottawa even Washington, in the eastern Conference.

Character, toughness, work ethic, and potential offensive talent will be important attributes that the Canadiens will be looking for when selecting this year's draft prospects

What I was trying to say was that the Canadiens would be looking more at these types of player than the high end skill players that don't have grit in their games. If there's a choice between two players, the Canadiens will be leaning more towards these types of players. These are the type of players missing in the Canadiens' prospect system and their NHL line-up. We have enough two-way players and speedy scorers but so little in the way of big bodied, tough, physical that love to attack the net a la Gallagher. I don't have the space necessary to write this so I have to put it in one sentence. The editor will just cut it out and he has the right to change what I put in the article. Even the other player considered isn't exactly what I put down.

I hope explains it all better for you.

I fully agree with your assessment of Mr. Subban. Mont. is so hungry for a superstar we are willing to anoint the first player that comes along. No way he should have won the Norris, but he did and I think it will slow his development a little. He is a "young man" and it is very evident, I think you guys will be blown away at how good he will get in the future, but to say that he's a better defenceman than Chara et. al. right now, come on. Not even close.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I fully agree with your assessment of Mr. Subban. Mont. is so hungry for a superstar we are willing to anoint the first player that comes along. No way he should have won the Norris, but he did and I think it will slow his development a little. He is a "young man" and it is very evident, I think you guys will be blown away at how good he will get in the future, but to say that he's a better defenceman than Chara et. al. right now, come on. Not even close.

If what we have in PK now is his ceiling, I'd easily take him over Chara. PK's too clutch. Makes things happen at will. Once our D corps as a whole gets more solid(and he gets a more solid partner) than you'll see PK take more chances. Few players in the game can impose his will like Subban does.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

First point is that PK was not anointed by Habs fans. Sportswriters from all over North America did. This is not All Star voting.

IMHO Subban was clearly the best all-round D this season. What some detractors refer to a over-exuberance is really a monumental desire to win. One of the hardest working and most passionate players every shift.

And to suggest that his success and noteriety might set him back is not only obviously disingenuous, but is clear psychoanalytical quackery.

PK was the best Defenceman in the NHL this year. He will be again. He is possibly the best athlete in the league, always competes at the very highest level, and what is invariably overlooked is that he is one of the most intelligent ( hockey and otherwise ) people playing hockey.

PK won't rest on his laurels. He'll work even harder to win Cups and be an HOFer. His $6.75M will be a steal.

Darz

Sep 22, 2002
Where's the ANY key?
Visit site
I fully agree with your assessment of Mr. Subban. Mont. is so hungry for a superstar we are willing to anoint the first player that comes along.

the guy is a Norris trophy winner. has all the superstar potential. I think ALOT of non-habs fans are anointing him, not just habs fans.

No way he should have won the Norris,

...well it is too bad the voters didn't ask you first...or were nearly as smart as you....it must suck being so damn good, eh?

David Thicke

May 6, 2011
Montreal, QC
First point is that PK was not anointed by Habs fans. Sportswriters from all over North America did. This is not All Star voting.

IMHO Subban was clearly the best all-round D this season. What some detractors refer to a over-exuberance is really a monumental desire to win. One of the hardest working and most passionate players every shift.

And to suggest that his success and noteriety might set him back is not only obviously disingenuous, but is clear psychoanalytical quackery.

PK was the best Defenceman in the NHL this year. He will be again. He is possibly the best athlete in the league, always competes at the very highest level, and what is invariably overlooked is that he is one of the most intelligent ( hockey and otherwise ) people playing hockey.

PK won't rest on his laurels. He'll work even harder to win Cups and be an HOFer. His $6.75M will be a steal.

Sportwriter don't know everything if the Norris was picked by the GMs and Coaches there would be a far different list.

I agree PK is an extremely hard worker on his aspects of his game and I wish all of the Habs' players had his and Gallagher's passion and drive but that just isn't always possible and some players you can't see it as easily.

PK still has a tendency to get over-confident and try to do too much with the puck. He can leave his teammates standing still on the opposition's blueline while he skates with the puck and enters the offensive zone with zero support or any players driving the net to help create traffic around the goalie. He needs to learn that he can draw the opposition to him creating opportunities and openings for his teammates. There have been problems in the past with him not listening to instructions given by his coaches. He has repeatedly done what he wants and sometimes gets caught with an error but he can also make good things happen because of this unpredictability and learns from the big mistakes making him better. He really improved on this part of his game this year but needs to keep moving forward.

PK has excellent hockey IQ and I hope he never stops being true to himself, I love that he's not the cookie cutter hockey player and he has a great personality, the game needs more of that.

It was a strike shortened season so I want to see a couple of full seasons before jumping to conclusions. The way PK is a constant target of the opposition and he does love it which is good on him, there's always the possibility of a major injury at any time so don't go putting him in the HOF just yet. He will need to win a few more Norris trophies and put up good numbers every year over his career to have a chance to be in the HOF but he's only turned 24 and hasn't reached his peak yet so the sky is the limit. There's no way PK will rest on his laurels and he's going to give his all to win multiple Stanley Cups. I want more players like him that thrive on the pressure of Montreal and bring it every night. I think he will be a Hab for his whole career because I don't think he wants to play anywhere else and why would he?

Just my opinion.

aaa

Jan 17, 2013
I know it's the 'in thing' to hate MAF, but Price is taking his career down the same path, so I wouldn't insult the guy too much.

I saw that article on RDS about Price and MAF and found it to be an unfair comparison. Fleury has a virtual all-star team in front of him and choked. Price didn't carry the team on his shoulders but it was far from a choke job.The team over achieved all season and lost key players in the play-offs.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: