News Article: Montreal Canadiens Draft Preview

David Thicke

May 6, 2011
Montreal, QC
You say he didn't drive the net and then reference a goal that bounced in off his shin-pad? I'm assuming he was around the net, no? Or did it bounce of his shin-pad from the point?

Patches does go to the net, but he's not the proto-typical power-forward everyone is clamoring for. He was pretty much the same patches, who has a tendency to float from time to time, but still puts up good numbers. Patches was fine.

It went off his shin pad as he was skating off to the side of the net away from traffic. If Patches wants to be a top player then he needs to play in the dirty areas and not avoid the traffic. He can provide a better screen than Gallagher with his height but doesn't seem to want to stand in front of the net.

Don't get me wrong, he's a good player and will only get better. He has a good shot but needs to use it more from the middle of the ice not on a bad angle like he seemed to do way too often this past season. All goal scorers seem to float around and can go through streaks but he wasn't the same this season. He was more consistent with his play the year before. It could also just be the condensed shortened schedule that reduced his recovery time. We will see a different Max this coming season.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Habs will gun for this guy...book it .

Jordan Subban

guy is a second or third rounder.

Morin is a good option but i think habs could benifit at 25 to get guys like:

Adam Erne

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl-draft-prospects-no-20-adam-erne/

Kerby Rychel:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-draft-prospects-no-25-kerby-rychel/

ANthony Mantha:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-draft-prospects-no-26-anthony-mantha/

Shea Theodore

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/nhl-draft-prospects-no-29-shea-theodore/

Rasmus Ristolainen
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/nhl-draft-prospects-no-16-rasmus-ristolainen/

there's a lot more guys too thins year is chalked full of kids with great talent

David Thicke

May 6, 2011
Montreal, QC
Maybe in the 3rd round.

Article was condense and to the point. Those articles that are 2 pages long with a bunch of filler are the truly terrible articles. They reiterate the same thing over and over again in different wording.

I agree with you about Jordan Subban. He's likely to go more in late second or early third round due to his size and more offensive play. He needs work on his defensive positioning and boxing out the players in front of the net. He's a little pit bull though and has a great work ethic and character. He's a tougher player than PK and might even have better overall skills. It just isn't physically as big which should drop his draft position.

Thanks for the comments on the article and for reading it. I appreciate it!:cheers:

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
guy is a second or third rounder.

Morin is a good option but i think habs could benifit at 25 to get guys like:

Adam Erne

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl-draft-prospects-no-20-adam-erne/

Kerby Rychel:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-draft-prospects-no-25-kerby-rychel/

ANthony Mantha:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-draft-prospects-no-26-anthony-mantha/

Shea Theodore

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/nhl-draft-prospects-no-29-shea-theodore/

Rasmus Ristolainen
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/nhl-draft-prospects-no-16-rasmus-ristolainen/

there's a lot more guys too thins year is chalked full of kids with great talent

if we manage to get ristolainen at 25... O_O, cant see that happening tho

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
if we manage to get ristolainen at 25... O_O, cant see that happening tho

he's ranked around montreal on some lists. there's so much talent TBH there will be some fallers this year it's pretty crazy when you look at all the list around the net.

after like 12 it's pretty wide open TBH. some teams will pass on talent and take need.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Overall, I liked the article. Agreed with most of it. Would have liked some more info on later-round prospects or some "insider" information regarding typical Habs picks and who they may have been scouting etc. But, if you don't have that info, you can't write about it so, I don't fault you on that.

I'd like to see a "Brotherly Love" article out of the HF team as both Mads Eller and Jordan Subban are coming into their draft year and it'd be nice to get some scouting info on those two (especially Mads). Maybe interviews with the prospects/siblings? It may be a little hunky-dory but I think it would be a good read nonetheless. I know what I need to know about them but it'd be nice to see it all in one place.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
If you don't look at what happen last season then how would you even know what the Canadiens are going to try and do at the draft. It's what the needs are of the team that decides what their plan might be.

He's a moderator on HF's forums, don't you think he should have just ask the Managing editor about the format or even better give his expert opinion of what should be in the Draft preview instead just knocking the article. Make any sense?

A team doesn't base it's draft strategy on the previous seasons needs.....that is a ridiculous way to run a team.

The article was very weak and should not have been called a draft preview. Since when is a moderator not allowed to voice their opinion?

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
If Bergevin can trade up in the first round, fine, but even if not I expect the Habs to reel in more than one or two future regulars anyway. Not everyone on the Hawks or Wings was a first round pick. Sad to say, those teams showed better judgment in making trades and signing free agents than our previous GMs.

Darz

Sep 22, 2002
Where's the ANY key?
Visit site
Samuel Morin or Ian McCoshen with our first pick would make me happy.

...that is assuming that Anthony Mantha and Kerby Rychel aren't available when the habs pick.

Really looking forward to this draft. I think the habs have all the assets available to get a player they REALLY want.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Maybe in the 3rd round.

Article was condense and to the point. Those articles that are 2 pages long with a bunch of filler are the truly terrible articles. They reiterate the same thing over and over again in different wording.

Jordan won't be available in round 3 no way...he is ranked 55
Pk Subban was ranked 102 the year we took him at 43....
Habs got to go after JS early second round,and I fully expect they will.

I think Habs want Malcom last yr too...they said they almost had a goalie, but just missed out....
So not hard to figure..

Last edited:

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Habs got to go after JS second round,and I fully expect they will.

Jordan's pretty small though, 5'8.5"...that can drop your stock in the draft, especially as a defenseman. Even if he might do some growing like P.K. did after he was drafted.

Maybe the Habs would take him with their last second rounder but ideally he's a third rounder.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Jordan's pretty small though, 5'8.5"...that can drop your stock in the draft, especially as a defenseman. Even if he might do some growing like P.K. did after he was drafted.

Maybe the Habs would take him with their last second rounder but ideally he's a third rounder.

Non worries on his size...he will train with Pk and you"ll see Jordan at 210-220 lb
He got the heart of a tiger,you can see him scrap on hockeyfights..com he's 5'9 155lbs...check him out.
Handles himself well,and his on ice game is there too.....The best scout to listen too is PK SUbban, says his brother will be better than him..

He will grow.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Non worries on his size...he will train with Pk and you"ll see Jordan at 210-220 lb
He got the heart of a tiger,you can see him scrap on hockeyfights..com he's 5'9 155lbs...check him out.
Handles himself well.

He will grow.

I'm not arguing against him, I'm just saying small players (especially small defensemen) have a history of sliding in the draft unless they're considered elite talents.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
If you don't look at what happen last season then how would you even know what the Canadiens are going to try and do at the draft. It's what the needs are of the team that decides what their plan might be.

thing is, the article doesn't really go into much depth or detail about what the team will try to do at the draft...

writing about the results of an office mock draft doesn't really = "Draft preview", with or without a post-season recap.

Take a look around this board, and you'll find quite a few draft preview type posts by guys who have done an much better job at speculating what the habs might do during the draft...

He's a moderator on HF's forums, don't you think he should have just ask the Managing editor about the format or even better give his expert opinion of what should be in the Draft preview instead just knocking the article. Make any sense?

FYI, his post was hardly a "knock", it was a very simple statement (accurate at that), followed by a pretty fair question.

instead of reacting defensively to it, and passive aggressively taking issue with his post (a disingenuous :cheers: smiley doesn't change the content of a post), you'd be much better served taking his, & others, constructive criticism to heart and use it to improve further offerings.

this board is probably one of the best places to find constructive criticism for someone with a passion for sports writing... and while there are a lot of juvenile posts/posters to weed through, it wouldn't take much looking around to figure out that commentary from a poster like overlords is exactly the kind of feedback you should be looking for.

it's not like he was nit-picking you for silly statements like:
"The Canadiens will need continued growth from P.K. Subban"

--> while it's true that all teams would want continued growth from all of their players, unless the aim was to make redundant redundant commentary, it's pretty silly to argue the habs "need" growth from their norris winning dman. If Subban's game plateaued where it was this season, the habs or any other team in the league would be thrilled to have him just at the level he is. In their pantheon of needs, Subban improving has got to be near the bottom of the pile.

"Character, toughness, work ethic, and potential offensive talent will be important attributes that the Canadiens will be looking for when selecting this year's draft prospects."

--> might have saved you some word space by simply writing "Good hockey players are what the Canadiens will be..." Stating the obvious doesn't really make for a great way of closing an article...

he didn't go anywhere near those or the other "low hanging fruit" to knock the article, you're reaction to his minor commentary was way over the top, and just brought greater scrutiny for a piece that was probably better served quietly fading into the back pages.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
I'm not arguing against him, I'm just saying small players (especially small defensemen) have a history of sliding in the draft unless they're considered elite talents.

PK Subban made the name famous...no way Jordan slides,and he put numbers up last yr too....If his name was Frank Jibonkdi at 5'9 155lbs yes......he slides.....If habs don't snag him 34 I will be shocked,and very disappointed.

The old song don't be sad,2 out of 3 ain't bad,applies here.

Last edited:

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
PK Subban made the name famous...no way Jordan slides....If he name was Frank Jibonkdi at 5'9 155lbs yes......he slides.....I habs don't snag him 34 I will be shocked,and very disappointed.

Well you could argue for or against the name, I guess. Jared Staal's not looking like such a home run at #49.

I like Jordan but no chance I'd touch him with our first pick in the second round, come on.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Well you could argue for or against the name, I guess. Jared Staal's not looking like such a home run at #49.

I like Jordan but no chance I'd touch him with our first pick in the second round, come on.

We got 34 and 36, so why he worry if Subban comes at 34??
Lock him up soon as possible after 25.
3 out of 4 Staal's , not bad...
Subbans should be 3 out of 3 IMHO..Malcom and Jordan got bright futures...

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC

3 outlets of 4 Staal's of nt bad...
Subbanss should be 3 out of 3 IMHO..Malcom and Jordan got bright futures...

Because we also have 55, way more in line with where Subban should be picked, if we're picking him in the 2nd at all.

Marc-E-

Sep 19, 2004
Montréal, Québec
Habs got to go after JS early second round,and I fully expect they will.

I think Habs want Malcom last yr too...they said they almost had a goalie, but just missed out....
So not hard to figure..

The goaltender that your talking isn't Subban. It was Oscar Dansk taken by Columbus at 32nd

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal

There will be much better players available at 34 and 36 and probably at 55 as well.

Marc-E-

Sep 19, 2004
Montréal, Québec

Jeez are you serious? At 34th? Even in the 3rd round selection I'll take Diaby before him.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Because we also have 57, way more in line with where Subban should be picked, if we're picking him in the 2nd at all.

Hmmm,

PK. Subban was ranked like 102 the yr he was drafted.
So lets use the logic of Habs should have waited,they wasted the 43 pick on a guy ranked 102, just think they could have got PK much later?Just think of all the player we could picked at 43 that was better than Subban...

It's not goona happen,Jordan ranked 55 will be long gone before 55,bank on that.The Subban name =cat is out of the bag,on teams radars.

PK Subban panned out much better than his 102 rank..fact is he should have been a first round pick.

Jordan at 55 will do the same too,bet the farm...He will be another one who should be a first rounder when all said and done.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad