News Article: Montreal Canadiens Draft Preview

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Two paragraphs on one player we might/should take in the first doesn't really constitute a 'draft preview'. Is there more to come here?

MarkovtoSubban

Mar 11, 2009
Toronto
Morin at 25 nice pick!

"Other players considered by the Canadiens: Bo Horvat, Frederick Gauthier, Kerby Rychel, Ian McCoshen, Shea Theodore, and Josh Morrissey."

Does "considered" mean they were available?

ForeverHabs97

May 11, 2013
Canada
Morin at 25 nice pick!

"Other players considered by the Canadiens: Bo Horvat, Frederick Gauthier, Kerby Rychel, Ian McCoshen, Shea Theodore, and Josh Morrissey."

Does "considered" mean they were available?

I think it means that if we were to trade up in the draft, we may draft them because they fit our prospect pool's needs.

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
You actually didn't watch games right ?
MaxPac had a pace of 73 points and is our best scorer two years in a row.
This despite Desharnais had a slow year and Cole underperforming big time.

BTW, JVR, Gagner, Voracek, Perron, Simmonds best season is 50 points or less.
Jamie Been best season was 63 points and Couture best season was 65 points.
Basically, the only player of the 2007 draft who outpaced Pacioretty in the ;ast two seasons is Kane!

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Basically, the only player of the 2007 draft who outpaced Pacioretty in the ;ast two seasons is Kane!

So the only way to judge a power forwards play is by comparing him to fellow draftees ?

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
So the only way to judge a power forwards play is by comparing him to fellow draftees ?
I did not say that it was the only way but production of points is way to measure.
Two years in a row, he is our best scorer.
At the same time, he is not so great at defense and does not get PK time.
Still has only blocked one shot less than Plekanec (who went for first to 9th in BKS).

I was saying that despite his problems (mostly the beginning of the season) and his under performing linemates he ended up putting even better numbers than the previous season.
The previous year, we could have tought that his performance was due to Desharnais and Cole but this is not longer the fact.

I do agree that he did performed less this season but surprisingly the numbers are better.
Part of the reason was his PPP (bigger pace this season).

As for comparing him with other draftees of 2007, well it is a tribute to the fact that TT did draft very well.
But he would not do so good compared to picks in 2006 and 2008.

But I understand your point.
You are saying that he did not perform well and you want to defend this point.
I am saying that he outperformed his linemates even more than the previous season.

We seem to agree on one point: He should do even better next season.

David Thicke

May 6, 2011
Montreal, QC
Two paragraphs on one player we might/should take in the first doesn't really constitute a 'draft preview'. Is there more to come here?

If you don't like the article's format take it up with the Managing editor Ken not here. You are a moderator for HF's forums.

Second, you might want to try reading it again and maybe you will understand it better now. I only have so much space not pages and I can't give my full opinion. Seriously, who has a crystal ball to pick exactly which player will go at what number for the 2013 NHL draft. Nobody knows which players will fall or rise. If you do then go work for Bergevin because he's going to need your help.

My pick of Samuel Morin was in the "HF Staff Mock draft" like it states in the article. I can't trade up and have to wait my turn then choose who I think the Canadiens will target given what players are still available. I was lucky enough to find Morin available so I thought it was a no brainer to take him. I believe that if he's there on draft day and he could be, who knows, then the Habs will select him because I am sure the teams after them definitely will. He's not falling out of the 1st round.

Thanks for at least reading the article and making comments. It is appreciated but knock an article without knowing all the facts. Thanks!:cheers:

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006

Pacioretty is more 'sniper with size and some grit' than 'power forward'. Expecting him to be something he isn't is setting up oneself for disappointment.

David Thicke

May 6, 2011
Montreal, QC

As for my statement concerning, Pacioretty. He needs to be less of a perimeter player with his size and speed. He didn't drive the net like the smaller Gallagher and disappeared in some games when last season he was one of the Canadiens' best forwards. Stop looking at stats and look at what a player is actually playing like compared to the previous year not the numbers. It was a shortened season so you don't know if he would have stayed at the same pace, better or even worse. I am not a stats lover because it never tells the whole story. Ex. The puck hits Max's shin pad and goes in against Anderson in the playoffs, so he scored a goal but did absolutely nothing to get that goal. The guy who shot it actually did everything ( I don't remember who). I know he was hurt but if he's in the line-up then perform to your best or let someone who is fully healthy take your place. No excuses is the right attitude for the Habs after the terrible 2012-13 season.

If you go back and look at where Pacioretty was shooting from most of the time then you will see that a good portion of his shots came from the left dot of the face-off circle. The opposition's defensemen could actually just wait for him to move to the outside and then turn to pressure him and Max would most of the time just shoot from that bad angle. As a forward, you have to try and get to the middle of the ice in the opposition's zone and make life difficult for them. He just wasn't consistent enough compare to the previous season. He needs to be more of a net front presence with his size, screening the goalie, getting deflections and cause havoc for the defensemen and goalie. He can be better and he will be.

Thanks for reading the article and making your comments! :cheers:

Analyzer*

Habs will gun for this guy...book it .

Jordan Subban

Maybe in the 3rd round.

Article was condense and to the point. Those articles that are 2 pages long with a bunch of filler are the truly terrible articles. They reiterate the same thing over and over again in different wording.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
As for my statement concerning, Pacioretty. He needs to be less of a perimeter player with his size and speed. He didn't drive the net like the smaller Gallagher and disappeared in some games when last season he was one of the Canadiens' best forwards. Stop looking at stats and look at what a player is actually playing like compared to the previous year not the numbers. It was a shortened season so you don't know if he would have stayed at the same pace, better or even worse. I am not a stats lover because it never tells the whole story. Ex. The puck hits Max's shin pad and goes in against Anderson in the playoffs, so he scored a goal but did absolutely nothing to get that goal. The guy who shot it actually did everything ( I don't remember who). I know he was hurt but if he's in the line-up then perform to your best or let someone who is fully healthy take your place. No excuses is the right attitude for the Habs after the terrible 2012-13 season.

If you go back and look at where Pacioretty was shooting from most of the time then you will see that a good portion of his shots came from the left dot of the face-off circle. The opposition's defensemen could actually just wait for him to move to the outside and then turn to pressure him and Max would most of the time just shoot from that bad angle. As a forward, you have to try and get to the middle of the ice in the opposition's zone and make life difficult for them. He just wasn't consistent enough compare to the previous season. He needs to be more of a net front presence with his size, screening the goalie, getting deflections and cause havoc for the defensemen and goalie. He can be better and he will be.

Thanks for reading the article and making your comments! :cheers:

You say he didn't drive the net and then reference a goal that bounced in off his shin-pad? I'm assuming he was around the net, no? Or did it bounce of his shin-pad from the point?

Patches does go to the net, but he's not the proto-typical power-forward everyone is clamoring for. He was pretty much the same patches, who has a tendency to float from time to time, but still puts up good numbers. Patches was fine.

Church

The last lion
Mar 26, 2010
Montreal, QC
I agree with the article about Patches. You could easily see the difference between last year and this year. I watched every single game and his total goal and points don't really indicated how he performed. I'm not trying to be the bad hockey fan here but Patches needs to crank it up for next year. He was often behind by a little on most plays, out of place and in perimeter. I know he's more a big forward with a good shot than the typical powerforward, but even there he did not use that shot.

I won't start on Desharnais or Moen... I mean their grandmother know they had a bad year.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
If you don't like the article's format take it up with the Managing editor Ken not here. You are a moderator for HF's forums.

Your 'draft preview' consisted mostly of giving us a recap of last season with very little info on possible players available in the later positions.

Second, you might want to try reading it again and maybe you will understand it better now. I only have so much space not pages and I can't give my full opinion. Seriously, who has a crystal ball to pick exactly which player will go at what number for the 2013 NHL draft. Nobody knows which players will fall or rise. If you do then go work for Bergevin because he's going to need your help.

So why bother with a draft preview article at all then? Maybe you could give us your full opinion if you didn't spend more than half of your article talking about last season?

Thanks for at least reading the article and making comments. It is appreciated but knock an article without knowing all the facts. Thanks!:cheers:

... but mocking a loyal HF moderater/user for taking an issue with your article , is really taking the high road. Gotcha.

David Thicke

May 6, 2011
Montreal, QC
Your 'draft preview' consisted mostly of giving us a recap of last season with very little info on possible players available in the later positions.

So why bother with a draft preview article at all then? Maybe you could give us your full opinion if you didn't spend more than half of your article talking about last season?

... but mocking a loyal HF moderater/user for taking an issue with your article , is really taking the high road. Gotcha.

If you don't look at what happen last season then how would you even know what the Canadiens are going to try and do at the draft. It's what the needs are of the team that decides what their plan might be.

He's a moderator on HF's forums, don't you think he should have just ask the Managing editor about the format or even better give his expert opinion of what should be in the Draft preview instead just knocking the article. Make any sense?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad