HF Habs: Montreal Canadiens Draft (#3, #35, #38, #56, #62, #66, #97, #102, #122 & #128)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Did Ferraro strictly focus on Zadina's goal scoring abilities and limit his "best" comment to that alone or did he bring up Svech into the discussion at any point?

He did bring up Svech but I can't remember exactly what he said now. I think he did say that Svech was a different type of player who is bigger and will use his size more than Zadina. I should be taking notes so I can remember exactly what him and others say so I won't forget it.

I'm heading out for a while but here's the audio from Ferraro's segment with Melnick today if anyone wants to have a listen to exactly what he said.

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/ferraro-zadina-is-best-scorer-in-draft-1.1113075

Reactions: Runner77

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
If Petry were traded, who would take his spot right now? Juulsen?

I guess that's who it would be. That's sort of what's also foolish in decimating last years defense. Half the guys (Emelin and Sergachev) could play the right side. We'd be putting a guy like Juulsen, who needs to develop offense, in a position where he'll need to just survive, which also means you have to ponder whether its worth trading Petry.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I guess that's who it would be. That's sort of what's also foolish in decimating last years defense. Half the guys (Emelin and Sergachev) could play the right side. We'd be putting a guy like Juulsen, who needs to develop offense, in a position where he'll need to just survive, which also means you have to ponder whether its worth trading Petry.

There is no getting around it -- every top 6 or top 4 who is the object of a fake trade proposal, carries with it the specter of no one ready to step in or no quality organizational depth to tap into that is ready to take on the void caused by such trade.

To be in this state after 6 years of the same management team, is beyond comprehension.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I still think we can just sign someone if needed. Obviously he won't be any good, but the Habs should be trying to get a high pick next year.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Ray Ferraro just said on TSN690 that he really likes Zadina and thinks he's the best goal scorer in this years draft. Said if he had to choose between Zadina or Tkachuk he would take Zadina but it's really close.
The fact that Zadina (according to Ferraro) is the best scorer (and therefore a better scorer than Tkachuk) means that it's not really that close at all. If the Habs have a functioning brain cell in their collective head they should take the guy who can score over the guy with "bloodlines" and "attitude".

Reactions: Ethan Wiles

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The fact that Zadina (according to Ferraro) is the best scorer (and therefore a better scorer than Tkachuk) means that it's not really that close at all. If the Habs have a functioning brain cell in their collective head they should take the guy who can score over the guy with "bloodlines" and "attitude".
He was also very of complimentary of Tkachuk...so was McGuire.

Come to think of it, I haven't heard anyone who doesn't post here say many negative things about Tkachuk

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
He was also very of complimentary of Tkachuk...so was McGuire.

Come to think of it, I haven't heard anyone who doesn't post here say many negative things about Tkachuk

The black book had Tkachuk at 3. Apparently they're very highly regarded. Wouldn't know never bought their guide or went back and checked if they had good results.

MM425

Aug 14, 2005
It sucks there isn't a #1C at the top of this draft... have to draft the best talent available and by all accounts this is Zadina. I hope to got that management doesn't over-think this.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Highly regarded because of content not because of accuracy of predictions.

My only reservations about the Black Book, is how it appears to be overly verbose. I remember mentioning to Mark Edwards a couple of years ago, when he asked for suggestions to make his product better -- I had mentioned to him that quantity isn't everything, without proper editing. Back then, I had found that he said the same thing over and over using different language and it was left to stand -- it looked like unnecessary page-filling.

I remember liking the Red Line Report on this aspect -- Woodlief is a wordsmith, concise but so effective, using language economically but efficiently.

And didn't like the fact that in the Black Book, there were so many superlatives being used for so many players that it became an annoyance when trying to lift language that clearly established a player's superior profile over say someone within a given tier and even between players ranked far apart.

That said, it doesn't take away from the sheer mountain of facts and data points provided. It's just that Edwards' idea of writing a guide is having you, the reader, act like an editor to weed off the excess. I hope his guide has gotten better in this regard.

Mdamico

Dec 29, 2006
This year's 2nd round looks to be much much deeper than past drafts. Unlike the 2012 and 2013 draft, there seems to be some top-end talent still available, especially from 32 to 40. Although the huge debate right now seems to be Zadina vs Kotkaniemi at 3rd overall, we feel the Habs can get a few quality centres later in the draft as well. After doing following some of these players the whole year, we put together a list of potential centres that Montreal could potentially get their hands on come Draft Day:

The Centre of Attention: Hidden Gems of The 2nd Round

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This year's 2nd round looks to be much much deeper than past drafts. Unlike the 2012 and 2013 draft, there seems to be some top-end talent still available, especially from 32 to 40. Although the huge debate right now seems to be Zadina vs Kotkaniemi at 3rd overall, we feel the Habs can get a few quality centers later in the draft as well. After doing following some of these players the whole year, we put together a list of potential centres that Montreal could potentially get their hands on come Draft Day:

The Centre of Attention: Hidden Gems of The 2nd Round

Why would hidden gems be a thing in the second round where most prospects watchers on this site and from guides, are ranking so many centers in the second round available to a team like the Habs that has several picks to throw at them?

Plus, with Mark Edwards mentioning how there is lack of consensus amongst several scouts he talked to from picks 15-40, there are bound to be several better known quantities as fallers that will be available within the Habs's picks, at least available for the Habs's early 2 picks in the 2nd round.

I don't know, perhaps hidden gems will be a thing in the third and fourth rounds, but I can't see them being a factor in the 2nd round with so many centers likely to be available.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Who would you have in mind ?
I may be wrong, but doesnt Ian Cole also play on the right side? I'd still like to sign him regardless. There's also Wideman and Sustr imo. I know none of them are good, but better than a Schlemko. Point should be to have this player until the deadline and then call up Juulsen.

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
It sucks there isn't a #1C at the top of this draft... have to draft the best talent available and by all accounts this is Zadina. I hope to got that management doesn't over-think this.
I thought that too but MacKenzie says that ain't so anymore. It is wide open after #2. Kotkaniemi & Dobson listed as top 5 for several head scouts.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
My only reservations about the Black Book, is how it appears to be overly verbose. I remember mentioning to Mark Edwards a couple of years ago, when he asked for suggestions to make his product better -- I had mentioned to him that quantity isn't everything, without proper editing. Back then, I had found that he said the same thing over and over using different language and it was left to stand -- it looked like unnecessary page-filling.

I remember liking the Red Line Report on this aspect -- Woodlief is a wordsmith, concise but so effective, using language economically but efficiently.

And didn't like the fact that in the Black Book, there were so many superlatives being used for so many players that it became an annoyance when trying to lift language that clearly established a player's superior profile over say someone within a given tier and even between players ranked far apart.

That said, it doesn't take away from the sheer mountain of facts and data points provided. It's just that Edwards' idea of writing a guide is having you, the reader, act like an editor to weed off the excess. I hope his guide has gotten better in this regard.

It hasn't. It's a lot of content and there's plenty of spelling mistakes or just contradictions in the same scouting report. But with the game reports and stuff you can kind of figure it out.. I really love the quotables and those are what i scroll through and read first.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I may be wrong, but doesnt Ian Cole also play on the right side? I'd still like to sign him regardless. There's also Wideman and Sustr imo. I know none of them are good, but better than a Schlemko. Point should be to have this player until the deadline and then call up Juulsen.

Could work.

Wideman I wouldnt touch though, word is he's a toxic player.

Reactions: Runner77
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad