HF Habs: Montreal Canadiens Draft (#3, #35, #38, #56, #62, #66, #97, #102, #122 & #128)

Status
Not open for further replies.

habs73

Jul 29, 2006
I thought that too but MacKenzie says that ain't so anymore. It is wide open after #2. Kotkaniemi & Dobson listed as top 5 for several head scouts.

Lets draft the Finn, we have good karma drafting Finns!

PriceIsGod

Carey Please :)
Jul 15, 2012
You know...
I would say Byron and Gallagher can get them a first, too.
Byron I honestly dont think would land a first, a second sounds like fair value to me. Perry was the only guy I said we should look into moving because although Gallagher would be able to land a 1st I think it would make no sense to trade him.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
It's too bad I really like Zadina or even Hughes. This will be a hard pick for the staff!

I agree. It's between those three for me. And I'd be happy with either.

However, if it were up to me, if I project a player to be a first line winger, another a first line center, and a third one a top pair defenseman, I'd go for the center first, the top pair defenseman second, and the winger last.

habaholic

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If you ask me, Kotkaniemi has 1C potential. A comparable that has been thrown out there is Barkov.

At worst, I'd say a 3C. But I think he's more Top-6, and even first line.

I know stats don't give the whole picture and I admit I have not seen him play, but his numbers and Barkov's at the same age don't really compare.

Can anyone speak to that comparison other than they're 2 Finns?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Byron I honestly dont think would land a first, a second sounds like fair value to me. Perry was the only guy I said we should look into moving because although Gallagher would be able to land a 1st I think it would make no sense to trade him.

I completely agree about Gallagher. I'm holding onto him unless the deal is really worth it. I just think he can still land a first.

As for Byron, with two straight 20-goal seasons, a cheap contract, and being a very useful player with loads of speed, I think he's worth a first. If Plekanec went for a 2nd on top of two prospects, I think someone will give a first for Byron.

Same for Petry. On July 1st, his NMC becomes a Modified-NTC, where he lists 15 teams he cannot be traded to. That should make him easier to move because there are 15 teams he would accept to be traded to (unless he waives it for a team on his list). And I do think he can fetch a first, as well.

Although I would have my eye on moving Petry, I wouldn't rush it unless, like Gallagher, the offer is worth it. I wouldn't rush moving him, either.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
I agree. It's between those three for me. And I'd be happy with either.

However, if it were up to me, if I project a player to be a first line winger, another a first line center, and a third one a top pair defenseman, I'd go for the center first, the top pair defenseman second, and the winger last.

I guess it's just a matter of which one is the surest thing.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I know stats don't give the whole picture and I admit I have not seen him play, but his numbers and Barkov's at the same age don't really compare.

Barkov was better at the same age, for sure. But their style is similar is what I meant to say. Another comparison that has been made is Kopitar. And again, it's not about saying Kotkaniemi will be as good as them. It's that when you look at NHL players to give you an idea on what type of player a draftee is, Barkov and Kopitar have been mentioned when talking about Kotkaniemi.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I guess it's just a matter of which one is the surest thing.

But when you heard Timmins at the combine, they're not looking for the quick fix, meaning someone who can jump into the league next season.

And Bergevin, a few days earlier, said that they're not looking for the BPA now, but the one they project to help them be successful in the long run.

To me, those two comments fit Kotkaniemi and Hughes.

Reactions: shutehinside

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I completely agree about Gallagher. I'm holding onto him unless the deal is really worth it. I just think he can still land a first.

As for Byron, with two straight 20-goal seasons, a cheap contract, and being a very useful player with loads of speed, I think he's worth a first. If Plekanec went for a 2nd on top of two prospects, I think someone will give a first for Byron.

Same for Petry. On July 1st, his NMC becomes a Modified-NTC, where he lists 15 teams he cannot be traded to. That should make him easier to move because there are 15 teams he would accept to be traded to (unless he waives it for a team on his list). And I do think he can fetch a first, as well.

Although I would have my eye on moving Petry, I wouldn't rush it unless, like Gallagher, the offer is worth it. I wouldn't rush moving him, either.

With the way this team has performed and given the GM's scathing remarks at the year-end presser, giving the impression that the "attitude" issue was deeply rooted and it wasn't only a matter of one or two players -- you have to believe that there ought to be no untouchables on this team.

Or course, that doesn't mean they're available for less but only in the right deal.

Gallagher has so much going for him -- he's appealing to all teams. Young, great contract, productive, captain material, exemplary, intense on every shift -- he can garner great pieces in a trade. I'm not keen on seeing him traded but he remains an extremely valuable piece if we're after an extremely valuable piece.

Reactions: jaffy27

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

Barkov was a much better player. He was a beast his draft year. Unbelievable season for one of the youngest players in that draft.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
But when you heard Timmins at the combine, they're not looking for the quick fix, meaning someone who can jump into the league next season.

And Bergevin, a few days earlier, said that they're not looking for the BPA now, but the one they project to help them be successful in the long run.

Definitely but it could also mean they see Zadina is the best player long term. I read the comment as they're probably evaluating everyone but it doesn't necessarily mean they don't see Zadina as the best player long term either.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Barkov was better at the same age, for sure. But their style is similar is what I meant to say. Another comparison that has been made is Kopitar. And again, it's not about saying Kotkaniemi will be as good as them. It's that when you look at NHL players to give you an idea on what type of player a draftee is, Barkov and Kopitar have been mentioned when talking about Kotkaniemi.
If you’re right, we’ll be extremely fortunate to land such a player.....

Now, if only we can sign Tavares......:D

Max2

Nov 17, 2013
Niemi is "peninsula" or "headland" in Finnish and Kotka is eagle so let's draft Jasper EaglePeninsula and call it a day!

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006

That’s exactly my thoughts. Zadina even said he thought they’d go with a D or a center. Those two seem like the best for. Think it depends on what they’ll get for Patches.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
I’m fine drafting Kotkaniemi, I just would like to see MB move down a few picks and get something in return.

I’m pretty confident that Arizona would tak Zadina and Ottawa takes either Tkachuk or one of the dman...If Domi could be had to move down to 5, with us adding something else and Kotkaniemi pans out in a few years:

Drouin-Kotkaniemi-Gallagher
Domi-Poehling-Galchenyuk

Could be a solid top 6 imo. Not even considering all the 2nd rounders we have that could be gems

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I’m fine drafting Kotkaniemi, I just would like to see MB move down a few picks and get something in return.

I’m pretty confident that Arizona would tak Zadina and Ottawa takes either Tkachuk or one of the dman...If Domi could be had to move down to 5, with us adding something else and Kotkaniemi pans out in a few years:

Drouin-Kotkaniemi-Gallagher
Domi-Poehling-Galchenyuk

Could be a solid top 6 imo. Not even considering all the 2nd rounders we have that could be gems

Bergevin trades down down to 5th. Arizona drafts Zadina, Ottawa drafts Kotkaniemi. We’re f***ed if that’s who we wanted. Hughes consolation but still not the target.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Bergevin trades down down to 5th. Arizona drafts Zadina, Ottawa drafts Kotkaniemi. We’re ****ed if that’s who we wanted. Hughes consolation but still not the target.

Unless Hughes is the target. TT’s combine quotes seem to imply size isn’t a concern, but it could very well be smokescreens and mirrors.

I agree 100% here......would’ve been so nice though to have both Kotkaniemi and Zadina......

If we get Kotkaniemi, I’d like to get Nordgren. They had some good chemistry during the U18s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad