Monthly News Thread (February 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
you know.. one would thing they signed Ronda so women keep maineventing, they get the publicity, sell tickets...
oh no, "its to make stephanie popular. cuz we've tried and failed for the last 15 years"

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
you know.. one would thing they signed Ronda so women keep maineventing, they get the publicity, sell tickets...
oh no, "its to make stephanie popular. cuz we've tried and failed for the last 15 years"

They will think that nonetheless just that they also want to put over a McMahon because that's what happens when you perform for your own product in wrestling.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
It was the Summerslam feud when Bryan was champion but with the neck injury that forced him to lose the title. Even with Rousey, I have a hard time believing that she'll put her over in any legitimate way.

Definitely a reason to think that. But man just off the top of my head I have several good ideas (at least I think so) for an entertaining Steph-Ronda feud that keeps Ronda away from the title picture. And Steph doesnt need to be a full blown "female Vince" she could play up the spoiled inherited brat role, get a stable going to protect herself, and finally hit a nice payoff eventually having Ronda destroy her. I mean I guess thats a bit similar to Vince, but I think there is a good feud there. It also puts the "wrestling" aside since Ronda is so new, and focuses more on the brawling and entertaining story of it all.

It's frustrating when I think theres good, fun ideas out there and it most likely wont happen!

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Definitely a reason to think that. But man just off the top of my head I have several good ideas (at least I think so) for an entertaining Steph-Ronda feud that keeps Ronda away from the title picture. And Steph doesnt need to be a full blown "female Vince" she could play up the spoiled inherited brat role, get a stable going to protect herself, and finally hit a nice payoff eventually having Ronda destroy her. I mean I guess thats a bit similar to Vince, but I think there is a good feud there. It also puts the "wrestling" aside since Ronda is so new, and focuses more on the brawling and entertaining story of it all.

It's frustrating when I think theres good, fun ideas out there and it most likely wont happen!

The problem with the stable idea is that none of the girls on the roster are viewed as a legitimate threat because of how poorly they've been booked for a long time. The only people who are looked at with any sort of legitimacy is Asuka and Charlotte and you don't want them playing second fiddle to Stephanie for the purpose of a Ronda feud. If they had built up Nia Jax, as awful as she may be as a worker, to be a monster, she could fit the bill as a bodyguard for Stephanie that puts Rousey over but it's difficult and it's not going to interest many people beyond the whole Rousey appearance. Someone full time has to get the rub if Rousey is going to be the special attraction.

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
The problem with the stable idea is that none of the girls on the roster are viewed as a legitimate threat because of how poorly they've been booked for a long time. The only people who are looked at with any sort of legitimacy is Asuka and Charlotte and you don't want them playing second fiddle to Stephanie for the purpose of a Ronda feud. If they had built up Nia Jax, as awful as she may be as a worker, to be a monster, she could fit the bill as a bodyguard for Stephanie that puts Rousey over but it's difficult and it's not going to interest many people beyond the whole Rousey appearance. Someone full time has to get the rub if Rousey is going to be the special attraction.

I like the Nia idea, and I think you could definitely form some type of good stable for Stephanie, heck even using the 2 from absolution could be good. Is Rousey full time or part time? I thought she was going to be full? Why cant she get the rub? I mean does that mean Rousey shouldn't be in any type of feud then? Like I said I think there are a lot of good ideas out there to make Steph vs. Rousey into a good fun feud, I am definitely not putting it on a Mcmahon SCSA level, but I mean the wrestling wasnt amazing in that feud and its one of the best of all time.

Get creative with it and do some cool stuff!

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I like the Nia idea, and I think you could definitely form some type of good stable for Stephanie, heck even using the 2 from absolution could be good. Is Rousey full time or part time? I thought she was going to be full? Why cant she get the rub? I mean does that mean Rousey shouldn't be in any type of feud then? Like I said I think there are a lot of good ideas out there to make Steph vs. Rousey into a good fun feud, I am definitely not putting it on a Mcmahon SCSA level, but I mean the wrestling wasnt amazing in that feud and its one of the best of all time.

Get creative with it and do some cool stuff!

Because if you put Rousey full time and there isn't an entertaining personality to her, she will wilt in terms of her ability to draw. She will probably learn how to work and work well but it would be something new if she showed a personality that gets over with the wrestling crowd.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
- The key reason to bringing Ronda Rousey in was to turn Stephanie McMahon into a big mainstream star the same way Austin helped turn Vince into one.

tumblr_olsfv97o9k1uujbcio7_400.gif

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Dean Ambrose was added to the WrestleMania Access event, indicating he likely won’t be wrestling at the event.

TicketMaster’s original release stated he was replacing Daniel Bryan, leading to speculation that meant Bryan could end up wrestling.

That paragraph was later deleted, and WWE officials have said that Bryan’s signing was simply sold out, and that’s why his signing was removed from TicketMaster. Apparently Bryan’s signing is at 8am, and Ambrose’s is at 10am

Reactions: ColePens
Oct 18, 2011
- With Vince focusing on the XFL, Triple H is expected to get more power with WWE and is assembling his own group of guys.

- The key reason to bringing Ronda Rousey in was to turn Stephanie McMahon into a big mainstream star the same way Austin helped turn Vince into one.
good f***ing god, these people are idiots aren't they?

Oct 18, 2011
you've been posting here as long as I can remember, we already know they're idiots.
as someone else said that's the most WWE thing ever, the whole women's revolution has been about Stephanie and how she's some sort of revolutionary.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Vince potentially taking a back seat to HHH is good news for guys like Finn.

I feel this is being understated. It's possible that the XFL is one of the greatest things to happen to wrestling fans. Vince hasn't done anything good with the WWE (writing) in a long time. Give HHH a much bigger role could be a welcome change of direction.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
PG is not the issue. WhatCulture did a really good video explaining this. You can tell incredible stories under the PG banner as proven by countless other television shows and even WWE itself when they want to actually put effort in.

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
'cos saying **** makes a bad story good! Writing 101.

It helps. "I am gonna kick your butt!" sounds so lame. I have cringed a few times during promos when these grown men are using "kiddie" words. I am trying to think of who, but someone did it just a few weeks ago and I was like dear god that was awful. When Brock Lesnar decides to go rogue and throw in a swear word it helps IMO.

We don't need Katie Vick again obviously, but making it a little more adult TV especially in an era where the best TV is on cable due to adult content seems like a good idea to me.

PG is not the issue. WhatCulture did a really good video explaining this. You can tell incredible stories under the PG banner as proven by countless other television shows and even WWE itself when they want to actually put effort in.

You can, but its much more difficult. Network TV pretty much sucks, especially network TV dramas, which I would throw wrestling into the "drama" category for TV. WWE used to put the more adult stuff on after 10pm, Raw is War and Warzone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
The stories will still be terrible, the writing will still be terrible, and the booking will still be terrible. Saying f*** won't fix any of it, it's just means you said f***.

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
The stories will still be terrible, the writing will still be terrible, and the booking will still be terrible. Saying **** won't fix any of it, it's just means you said ****.

It won't "fix" it, but it certainly adds to it. Dean Ambrose saying "I am going to kick your butt!" in a promo is incredibly lame. Your target audience is still older adults.

Quality writing + adult content > quality writing + G rated content

That's all im saying. And if you're really good, you can pull the adult content that kids can watch too but clearly dont understand. Disney has been known for that.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
PG is not the problem, lack of competition is. If the WWE had a viable alternative we'd get another golden age of wrestling. Though I think Triple H getting more control should help things.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Elias was on the E&C Podcast and said he has permission to go out there and do his thing and improvise on the mic. He also said Cena's mind was blown when Elias ran the "walk with Elias / WWE" bit by him and Cena encouraged Elias to keep doing and reminding people that WWE stands for walk with Elias.

He also said that HHH was the one who told him to keep doing what he was doing and that his character would get over more with bigger crowds, which it obviously has.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Elias is the epitome of a breakout star. He was a bit player in NXT but he's become an over character and he's solid in the ring. He's got one of the best gimmicks on either brand.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
It won't "fix" it, but it certainly adds to it. Dean Ambrose saying "I am going to kick your butt!" in a promo is incredibly lame. Your target audience is still older adults.

Quality writing + adult content > quality writing + G rated content

That's all im saying. And if you're really good, you can pull the adult content that kids can watch too but clearly dont understand. Disney has been known for that.
I can't really agree with that.

Good is good, bad is bad. PG or non-PG is mostly meaningless as good is still good and bad is still bad.

Besides, it's wrestling. It's not your generic "high production value popular TV show where they have boobs and say f***". It's fake sports. Your drama should come from the fact that it's a sports and everyone is competitive, and there really isn't anything adult-only about it.

But you don't lock out any mature themes by staying PG. Vulgarity and explicit sexual content is really the only limit I think? And I don't think either of those would add anything positive to a wrestling show.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Elias is the epitome of a breakout star. He was a bit player in NXT but he's become an over character and he's solid in the ring. He's got one of the best gimmicks on either brand.

I was about as low on Elias as I've ever been on anyone during his NXT stint. Now, I own one of his shirts (Elias World Tour).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad