Monthly News Thread (February 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
The Observer update today reported that a book entitled "The Worst Wrestling PPV Ever" that will be an inside look at the infamous Heroes of Wrestling PPV debacle (featuring a drugged out Jake Roberts using his snake as a pretend phallus) is in the works. Admit it: you guys can't wait to read this!

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
The Observer update today reported that a book entitled "The Worst Wrestling PPV Ever" that will be an inside look at the infamous Heroes of Wrestling PPV debacle (featuring a drugged out Jake Roberts using his snake as a pretend phallus) is in the works. Admit it: you guys can't wait to read this!

Reactions: sabremike

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI

A whole book?

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
This just screams them getting ahead of Crews getting over on his own with that catchphrase LOL.

This company is so weird and stupid.

The rumor I'm seeing is that because the Stoneman Douglas shooter's last name is "Cruz," Vincent didn't want the last name to be alluded to (even though Apollo's was spelled differently).

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
- The decision for Jeff Jarrett to be put into the Hall of Fame was pushed for by Triple H, following the hire of Jeremy Borash.

- Ziggler's new contract is a 1.5m downside guarantee, which is 500k more than his previous contract. WWE overpaid to keep Ziggler from going to the indies or NJPW.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
I think there's some value in WWE paying Ziggler to stop him trying it on the indies.

A big thing that keeps mid-tier guys from leaving WWE is the uncertainty. Ziggler going out and doing well would really show that it can be done. He's the perfect test case, and in fact he's the guy people normally bring up as an example of someone who should try it outside WWE.

If Ziggler went out and did well, then I'd think you'd see more follow him (or get paid more to stay in WWE).

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Couldn't that have also applied to Cody? Of the current-day roster, only a handful off the top of my head are guys that came up through the WWE system and learning strictly the WWE style. Ziggler, Corbin, Reigns, Strowman, and I'm sure I'm forgetting about someone (Orton fits, too). Reigns, Strowman, Corbin & Cena are protected... they'll never wrestle on the indies. Ever.

A guy like Cody was second generation, came up through WWE's system and only wrestled the WWE style and now look at him on the indies. I feel like Cody also applies as the "test case". Not saying Ziggler doesn't, I think the two of them were always those guys where they weren't so high on the card where they couldn't leave and were too big for the indies, but also guys that came up only learning the WWE style.

One has already had big success. If a second one went out and was successful, it wouldn't be good.

On that note, Joey Ryan bought a $525,000 house in LA with a pool and credited it to the change in the wrestling business where you don't need WWE to make a living anymore like 5 years ago.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
The ratings for Raw were very good this week. The show was up from last week, and maintained the audience for the entire first two hours (before it tanked in the third like normal). Link.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Couldn't that have also applied to Cody? Of the current-day roster, only a handful off the top of my head are guys that came up through the WWE system and learning strictly the WWE style. Ziggler, Corbin, Reigns, Strowman, and I'm sure I'm forgetting about someone (Orton fits, too). Reigns, Strowman, Corbin & Cena are protected... they'll never wrestle on the indies. Ever.

A guy like Cody was second generation, came up through WWE's system and only wrestled the WWE style and now look at him on the indies. I feel like Cody also applies as the "test case". Not saying Ziggler doesn't, I think the two of them were always those guys where they weren't so high on the card where they couldn't leave and were too big for the indies, but also guys that came up only learning the WWE style.

One has already had big success. If a second one went out and was successful, it wouldn't be good.

On that note, Joey Ryan bought a $525,000 house in LA with a pool and credited it to the change in the wrestling business where you don't need WWE to make a living anymore like 5 years ago.
The thing with Cody is that he's gone so far above the realistic expected average that's he's not really a good case anymore. Not everyone is going to be able to work their way into being a top guy in Bullet Club at their hottest while also being RoH champion.

I also think Cody is a bit 'special'. He's his father's son, and it was a big part of his initial indy run. Obviously he put a ton of work in and didn't phone it in, but he I do think he had it easier than most would all the same. Ziggler being more 'generic' makes him a better test case I think.

That being said, Cody has shown us what the upper limit is. And that limit is damn high. It's certainly shows that it's possible to be a bigger star outside WWE after leaving.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Is that the one where Yokozuna was up to like 800 pounds?

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I got the impression RAW ratings have been decent but SD not so much.
Viewership has been declining each week all year. They were below 2.5m last week and I suspect it'll be the same this week and moving forward.

Smackdown is a really bad show. It's amazing how the quality of shows flipped at some point last year, I believe once Orton burned down the Wyatt bullshit and began that program.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I would have really liked to see Ziggler leave WWE. He's always going to be the same here, while outside of WWE who knows what he'd be able to pull off.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Viewership has been declining each week all year. They were below 2.5m last week and I suspect it'll be the same this week and moving forward.

Smackdown is a really bad show. It's amazing how the quality of shows flipped at some point last year, I believe once Orton burned down the Wyatt bull**** and began that program.

Especially lately. It is amazing how bad it gets. I barely even watch the YouTube highlights now, it just isn’t worth the time.

This AJ title run has been awful since he hasn’t once been the actual focus of a feud yet.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Especially lately. It is amazing how bad it gets. I barely even watch the YouTube highlights now, it just isn’t worth the time.

This AJ title run has been awful since he hasn’t once been the actual focus of a feud yet.
Especially now that creative is feeding AJ those stupid ass lines that only someone like Cena or Rock could get over to begin with.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
I would have really liked to see Ziggler leave WWE. He's always going to be the same here, while outside of WWE who knows what he'd be able to pull off.
On the same lines, I'd have really liked him to leave WWE so that WWE would do something different too. NXT call ups getting put into 50-50 programs with Ziggler basically kill any hype and momentum they had. With Ziggler gone there would be a chance of something better.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if he made over a million. There really is a ton of money out there for a star of his stature.

But it's not all about the money. You can always earn more by working more dates, but the freedom and time off is very valuable. Especially for ex-WWE guys who should be very set in life with their WWE money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad