Status
Not open for further replies.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
Well this certainly does not look too appealing. :thumbd:

from thescore.com:

Rey Mysterio is reportedly set to return to WWE at WrestleMania.

Mysterio, whose real name is Oscar Gutierrez, is finalizing a deal with the company and is currently scheduled to face John Cena at WrestleMania 34 in April, sources told Justin Barasso of Sports Illustrated. Barasso also reported that Mysterio was backstage at Tuesday night's taping of SmackDown working out details for the match.

The 43-year-old has been wrestling on the independent circuit since his contract with WWE expired in 2015.

Previous reports pegged The Undertaker as Cena's WrestleMania 34 opponent, although he teased his retirement following his loss to Roman Reigns at last year's event.

Doesn't look appealing?!

Mysterio/Cena could steal WrestleMania from Styles/Nakamura and the rumored Owens/Zayn. Mysterio's been doing the best promo work of his life the last two years and he's been killing it in dream matches ever since he went part time. They need to lock this in if the buzz from their Lesnar no-show audible doesn't pan out.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Doesn't look appealing?!

Mysterio/Cena could steal WrestleMania from Styles/Nakamura and the rumored Owens/Zayn. Mysterio's been doing the best promo work of his life the last two years and he's been killing it in dream matches ever since he went part time. They need to lock this in if the buzz from their Lesnar no-show audible doesn't pan out.

I doubt anything at Mania tops Styles/Nakamura

we all know match of the weekend is gonna be a TakeOver match anyways

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
well today is the end of Big Show's contract. He said in an interview he didnt want a "last match"

gonna miss the big guy tbh. Rumble 2000 was my first experience of WWE and that ending with the Rock felt huge.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I doubt anything at Mania tops Styles/Nakamura

we all know match of the weekend is gonna be a TakeOver match anyways

I don’t think so.

They’ll give Styles and Nakamura the time.

Though Black/Almas will put on show so maybe not

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
- John Cena reportedly pushed for Seth Rollins to win the Elimination Chamber match, but officials/creative didn't see Seth beating Lesnar as believable and stuck with Reigns.

- Word is that WWE will do one more match between Hardy and Wyatt and talk is it will be held in North Carolina from Matt Hardy's compound, similar to The Final Deletion.

- The Chamber was booked to keep Strowman looking as strong as possible without beating Reigns as Vince sees Strowman as the ideal pro wrestler, due to his look, his ability to do WWE-style comedy effectively (which Roman hasn't been able to do), his improvement in the ring, and how over he is with the crowd. The feeling is also that Rollins is just now starting to get good buzz and thriving as a babyface again, and Finn Balor is expected to re-enter the Universal Title picture at some point again too.

- The hope is that Jeff Hardy will be back in time for Wrestlemania. There's back-and-forth on whether they'll reunite him with Matt inside the Broken Universe or pull the trigger on a singles run for Jeff.

- PWInsider wouldn't confirm the reports of Mysterio vs. Cena being slated for Wrestlemania, and also reported that Rey Mysterio was not backstage at Smackdown last night.

Sports Illustrated initially broke the Mysterio/Cena rumour (we know their rep...) and said the idea came after it was ruled The Undertaker wouldn't work Wrestlemania. Cena reportedly requested to work Samoa Joe (who's now injured) or Rey Mysterio. Again, it's SI and we know their rep...

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Every time I see or hear a discussion about Braun and how over he is, I'm reminded of a thread a couple years ago, which I think was after a FalconArrow (was that his name?) AMA where he said that Vince says people want to see "larger than life characters" and how we all laughed at off and/or were incredulous about it.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Every time I see or hear a discussion about Braun and how over he is, I'm reminded of a thread a couple years ago, which I think was after a FalconArrow (was that his name?) AMA where he said that Vince says people want to see "larger than life characters" and how we all laughed at off and/or were incredulous about it.

Well Braun was the worst back then. No one could predict he would become awesome.

Vince got lucky with him.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Well Braun was the worst back then. No one could predict he would become awesome.

MCG is gonna be pissed at this comment.

I also thought he had massive potential to be good btw and was pretty pro Braun in the beginning. Sometimes I get one every once in a blue moon.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

He is awesome because he was booked to be awesome. He wasn't booked like a geek because Vince doesn't think it's believable that Strowman could be a geek.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Rollins literally just beat Roman clean. Has done it several times too.

But...its believable Roman can beat Brock but Seth can't....despite Rollins beating Roman....

Well that's confusing.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I didn't say beat, I said look like a geek. Anybody can win a match, not everybody is booked to make it mean something. Most of the time they just come back and lose the next week to the same person.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
well today is the end of Big Show's contract. He said in an interview he didnt want a "last match"

gonna miss the big guy tbh. Rumble 2000 was my first experience of WWE and that ending with the Rock felt huge.
I always kind of felt bad for the guy, considering the indifferent crowd reactions he got towards the end of his career.

Wrong wrestler for the wrong era. He would have been a superstar in the 70s and 80s similar to Andre as an attraction that made brief stops in territories. Instead, he ended up with the same company for almost 20 years. Once the novelty of his size wore off, they couldn't do much with him. Having him lose clean to wrestlers half his size killed any credibility his character may have had.

Changing him back and forth from heel to face every year didn't help either.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
MCG is gonna be pissed at this comment.

I also thought he had massive potential to be good btw and was pretty pro Braun in the beginning. Sometimes I get one every once in a blue moon.

Nah. Strowman did suck when he first debut. He slowly started improving and his Austin podcast was what sold me on him as early as it did.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Well the good thing with Cena pushing for Rollins and then keeping Strowman strong is that Reigns title run could be short.

I wouldn’t be surprised if by September that Vince hands the reins to HHH(to work on XFL) who pushes other wrestlers more

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
He is awesome because he was booked to be awesome. He wasn't booked like a geek because Vince doesn't think it's believable that Strowman could be a geek.

The booking was good, but Braun deserves a lot of credit for how much he improved in pretty much every area.

I don’t think you could just throw any big man in there with that booking and get the same result.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
- John Cena reportedly pushed for Seth Rollins to win the Elimination Chamber match, but officials/creative didn't see Seth beating Lesnar as believable and stuck with Reigns.

- Word is that WWE will do one more match between Hardy and Wyatt and talk is it will be held in North Carolina from Matt Hardy's compound, similar to The Final Deletion.

- The Chamber was booked to keep Strowman looking as strong as possible without beating Reigns as Vince sees Strowman as the ideal pro wrestler, due to his look, his ability to do WWE-style comedy effectively (which Roman hasn't been able to do), his improvement in the ring, and how over he is with the crowd. The feeling is also that Rollins is just now starting to get good buzz and thriving as a babyface again, and Finn Balor is expected to re-enter the Universal Title picture at some point again too.

- The hope is that Jeff Hardy will be back in time for Wrestlemania. There's back-and-forth on whether they'll reunite him with Matt inside the Broken Universe or pull the trigger on a singles run for Jeff.

- PWInsider wouldn't confirm the reports of Mysterio vs. Cena being slated for Wrestlemania, and also reported that Rey Mysterio was not backstage at Smackdown last night.

Sports Illustrated initially broke the Mysterio/Cena rumour (we know their rep...) and said the idea came after it was ruled The Undertaker wouldn't work Wrestlemania. Cena reportedly requested to work Samoa Joe (who's now injured) or Rey Mysterio. Again, it's SI and we know their rep...

I still want Cena/Joe. Have Cena keep feeling sorry, and Joe just comes back, chokes him out, and says “yepp you are failure John”

Oct 18, 2011
Cena and Joe has a great backstory that can be told, if WWE chose to do it. Most fans probably don't know they broke into the business together in UPW

Maybe this looking for an opponent is a way to buy time for Joe to get cleared?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
SI saying that Brock didn’t show on Monday because he is over his contractual dates and is more concerned with talking new contract then being a team player.

Grain of salt considering the source.

Sasha and Bayley is rumored to be one of 4 women matches at Mania.

Reactions: The Gongshow

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
SI saying that Brock didn’t show on Monday because he is over his contractual dates and is more concerned with talking new contract then being a team player.

WM could have some solid matches

AJ/Naka
Owens/Zayn (I don't care about build up, these two always put on great matches together)
Sasha/Bayley
Charlotte/Auska (i know this probably isn't happening anymore)

I even enjoyed Reigns/Lesnar at WM31 so maybe the rematch is good.. depending on if Brock just doesn't give a shit and pulls a WM32

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa

Not buying that whatsoever considering PWInsider already reported WWE told Lesnar to stay home.

Meltzer and Johnson have shut down the SI writer (he’s so irrelevant I can’t even think of his name).

Reactions: KEEROLE Vatanen

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Can we just stop posting sports illustrated stuff now? Or at least stuff from that Borasso jackass or whatever his name is (I think he's the only one who writes wrestling stuff for SI anyways). I've been guilty of it before in the past, but with Johnson and Meltzer shutting him down and pretty much saying he's full of shit, why even bother posting his stuff here? Same way we stopped posting stuff from sportskeeda until that dude lost his mind and pretty much faded off on his own.

Anyways...

- Sasha Banks talked about how she's no longer scared to talk to Vince and how he's very easy to talk to and you get the RIGHT answer from him immediately as opposed to asking a creative writer.

Alternatively, Christian once told a story about how creative wanted him to do something and said that's how Vince wanted it even though it was out of character for Christian's character, so Christian went to Vince who said it was stupid and told Christian to do it his way, so Christian re-wrote it himself, handed it to creative who were pretty much "wtf" and Christian told them that was how Vince wanted it.

- Darren Young told a story of how CM Punk reacted when Darren Young came out. After Punk's match with Lesnar, he was iced from head to toe and told Darren to stand up in catering and gave him a hug and told him he was proud of him and if anyone gave him any problems over it, Punk would deal with it. He did that in front of the entire roster in catering. Orton and Show were very supportive of Darren too.

- FOX is making a MAJOR push to acquire WWE TV rights. Raw would air on the main network and Smackdown on FS1, in case you had any hope of Smackdown being better than Raw again if FOX acquired the rights. Raw's potential audience boost would be big as it'd be the first time in their history they'd be on one of the four major networks in prime time. Both, UFC and WWE are seeking $400-million for TV rights, and a source says FOX would give that money to WWE and let UFC walk.

- Braun Strowman appears to be WWE's backup plan to face Brock Lesnar at Wrestlemania in case the steroid ring scandal blows up and there is damning evidence implicating Roman Reigns, which, the distributor says is coming soon. Jon Bravo, the filmmaker on this, says his case on WWE is complete and implicates former and current WWE superstars. Roman Reigns has publicly said he has no idea who Richard Rodriguez (the distributor in jail) is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->