Monster Hunter World

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I was pretty happy with this game until I got to "The Encroaching Anjanath" quest. I've been doing this fight for almost 4 hours and no matter what gear set or weapon I use he someone finds a way to one shot me.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I was pretty happy with this game until I got to "The Encroaching Anjanath" quest. I've been doing this fight for almost 4 hours and no matter what gear set or weapon I use he someone finds a way to one shot me.

The Anjanath is basically the gatekeeper of this game. The first fight that basically forces you to learn how to play the game or perish over and over. Everything up to this point is basically button mash city.

Once you fight it enough, you should start to see a patten in his moves and telegraphs. You can't simply go in guns a blazin, otherwise you will get destroyed. Learn to pick your spots and when to back off, just like a soulsbourne game.

Simplest way to take him down is stay the hell away from his mouth at all costs. The fire blast is the only thing that's an absolute one hit KO att your rank. If everything else is one shotting you then you need to learn how to make better gear/upgrade said gear.

If you can't beat it, then i'd hate to see what happens when you move forward, because there's way bigger, badder monsters waiting.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
The Anjanath is basically the gatekeeper of this game. The first fight that basically forces you to learn how to play the game or perish over and over. Everything up to this point is basically button mash city.

Once you fight it enough, you should start to see a patten in his moves and telegraphs. You can't simply go in guns a blazin, otherwise you will get destroyed. Learn to pick your spots and when to back off, just like a soulsbourne game.

Simplest way to take him down is stay the hell away from his mouth at all costs. The fire blast is the only thing that's an absolute one hit KO att your rank. If everything else is one shotting you then you need to learn how to make better gear/upgrade said gear.

If you can't beat it, then i'd hate to see what happens when you move forward, because there's way bigger, badder monsters waiting.
I beat it. I was running off of 24 hours no sleep and wasn't thinking correctly.

Randallooch

Sep 4, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
This game is an addiction. I love it. Figuring out some of these monsters and downing them is a thrill. I've tried the Glaive (hated it), the Hammer (like it), and finally stuck with the Dual Blades. I want to try the Longsword, Switch Axe, and Gunlance as well.

I just made it to the Elder Recess. It's a reality check as I got my ass whooped and failed my first quest in a long time. And eff Bazelgeuse. How does he manage to always find me and interfere with what I'm fighting?

Theeze0504

Aug 18, 2005
Heavy Bowgun with slicing ammo is incredibly broken, I haven't tried it with the light bowgun yet, but it's tearing through everything so far.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
It's all about the Charge Blade.

I've built a lot of weapons, but it's at the point now where it's costing a lot of Zenny.

I have far into the tree:

Fire Charge Blade
Thunder Charge Blade
Poison Charge Blade
Thunder Long Sword
Blast Long Sword
Dragon Long Sword
Water Switch Axe
Soon to be Ice Gun Lance

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Randallooch

Sep 4, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
How much have you used the ailment type weapons? I got a Zorah gem and made the blast dual blades. I've experienced the resistance monsters build the more you use it against them and I don't know how worth it it is to use vs just using an element.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
How much have you used the ailment type weapons? I got a Zorah gem and made the blast dual blades. I've experienced the resistance monsters build the more you use it against them and I don't know how worth it it is to use vs just using an element.

I just used Blast on my Long Sword for the first time yesterday, and I would say ever 10 or so hits it did 120 damage, which wasn't bad at all. I think it would be better with other weapons though like dual blades and lances.

The monster we were fighting though didn't have its monster page unlocked in our hunter notes, so I didn't know if Blast was good against it.

Also I don't have the set to boost my Blast Affinity.

If you like Blast for yourself, you probably have to make the Zorah set to get the Blast boost.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
That's exactly what monsters do, actually. The more an aliment is used against it, the more resistant it becomes to it.

Paralysis, stunning, blast, poison, sleep and i believe mounting (counts as an alimment) fall under that category. Elements are obviously a seperate thing.

Still thing the anjanath is the most BS fight in this game. Hitboxes are so wonky compared to other monsters. Diablos is tough too but at least his attacks are heavily telegraphed making it easier to get out of the way

Randallooch

Sep 4, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I managed Nerg on my first go solo with only getting carted once. That being said, the hitboxes are fukt. I was on his left and he stomped his right claw, but I managed to get hit somehow. His special ability, the one where he flies high up in the air and comes crashing down for an insta-KO, is kinda BS too. This game would be 10/10 with proper hitboxes.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Odogaron has f***ed me up on my first two tries against it.

First trouble I've had. Will try again later tonight.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Odogaron surprisingly is one of the "wall" monsters i crushed easily on my first go. I think its hyper aggressive attack style played right into how i like to play. Both the AnJanath and Kirin gave me way more trouble for whatever reason (Though the Kirin was easier once i stopped being an idiot and fought it with a bow instead of sword and shield)

i want no part of Nirgegante either. Everything i've heard about that fight makes it sound like pure misery.

I seriously can't believe the fanboys defend those hitboxes, chalking it up to "git gud" when it's just bad design. Explain how an Anjanath can somehow skull ram me through a tree or ledge when he's not jumping? or how the Rathian can smoke me with the full length of his tail when it's been chopped off already? I loathe the thought of that Nirg fight for that reason.

Last edited:

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
Taking a small break from it as I think I burned myself out from it :laugh:

Pretty much from the start played with some friends and 3-4 man'd all the way to end content so I was lucky enough that no real walls occurred until Nergigante and it was a short wall because after a couple tries I just switched from hunting horn to thunder bug staff and got it on first try. Now I mostly play bug staff or charge blade depending on the monster.

Having such a blast though with it.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I'm at HR 13 right now. Wasted way too much time grinding armor in low rank. Won't make that mistake again.

Game is amazing though. I'm about 80 hours in. Have been able to solo every monster. I've only died completely once and that was against Bazelguese.

Playing on PS4 if anyone needs a hand or wants to power farm. Shoot me your PSN if interested.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Well , people weren't kidding with they said Nerg is bull****, because he def is.

I'm convinced Capcom doesn't understand what a hitbox actually is, because there is no discernable reason why his dive bomb can somehow kill me from a few feet away.

Honestly if not for that, he's a pretty solid/fun fight.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Well , people weren't kidding with they said Nerg is bull****, because he def is.

I'm convinced Capcom doesn't understand what a hitbox actually is, because there is no discernable reason why his dive bomb can somehow kill me from a few feet away.

Honestly if not for that, he's a pretty solid/fun fight.
Nerg is very easy. 2 of the 3 boss fights after him are awful hard though.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Nerg is apparently hilariously easy to kill with anything that isn't a bow. Danced around his stupid ass with sword and shield and had him down in about 13 or so minutes farming solo.

Teostra and Kushala however, can **** right off. At this point these gimmicky boss fights are starting to get really old. Let me coat the arena in stuff so you can't see or hit me. At least in the older games, Kushala was absolutely crippled by poison based attacks. Here? He just keeps on trucking.

I don't mind a challenge. I get annoyed when it feels artificially inflated like with those two.

Randallooch

Sep 4, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I made a 3 piece Kushala set to negate the wind. She isn't bad if you bring enough flash pods and bugs. Teo as well. Anytime he goes up to do his supernova, just flash him down. There is armor to make to negate blastblight as well. I have a harder time with Diablos than I any of the elder dragons, with the exception of Kirin. Wait until you fight a tempered one. It's the first quest I failed in a long time. I actually had to switch from my DBs to Hammer, and from a DPS armor set to one with divine blessing and elemental negation. After that, I figured out the patterns and didn't get carted at all.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Kushala is easy mode if you have Flash pods and flash bugs(to craft more) during the fight.

Every time he flies, hit him with a flash pod so he stays on the floor for his 1-3 mins. That's where all your damage will come from and he's not as annoying do deal with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad