Monster Hunter World

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Crafted an Odogaron set(most pieces) for my Long Sword build, and it is BEASTLY...mostly very fun to use.

Build Consists of:

High Rank Odogaron Beta Chest(for the slot)
High Rank Odogaron Alpha Gauntlets, Waist, Legs
Dragon King Eye patch Alpha

Reasons why the build is fun:

Speed Sharpening, you sharpen your Long Sword in one swipe
Protective coating, you get about 1 minute of use before your weapon takes any hit to sharpness(great if you have white sharpness)
Boosts affinity with Dragon King Eye Patch
Massive damage dealer
Looks cool

Long Swords I'm running at the moment:

Bazal Varga Rookslayer(Final Bazelgeuse Tree)
Legia Stealer (Final Legiana Tree)

Going to be making more mixed sets as I move forward, have a good one for Charge blade but it looks like ass.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Well , people weren't kidding with they said Nerg is bull****, because he def is.

I'm convinced Capcom doesn't understand what a hitbox actually is, because there is no discernable reason why his dive bomb can somehow kill me from a few feet away.

Honestly if not for that, he's a pretty solid/fun fight.

These are the same guys that have brought you these over the years:

foole.jpg

14l61w4.jpg

2qal64w.jpg

30ihq9v.jpg

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Is there a more consistent way to farm gems in low level high rank?

I need another Miasama gem before I fight Vaal since I have 2, but haven't had any luck getting any weystones to drop. I don't mind grinding a bit, but I want something that drops the weystones themselves instead of just guessing.

As for sets, I have two main ones and a couple specialized sets of armor; (I'm only still HR14 since i'm one of those people that see armor and need to grind for it right there. :laugh:

My main one is a bow set;

Weakness exploit lvl 3 (via Rathalos chest/legs)

Constitution 5 (Kadachi helm, lvl 2 fitness charm, Odogaron vanbraces)

Attack boost level 3 (Nergigante coil, attack jewel)

Thinking of running elementals as well since I think 2 pieces of Rathalos gear give you a critical element skill. Want critical eye as well eventually but my hands are kinda tied right now.

Then my sword set is pretty simple; attack boost level 5/6, earplugs level 5

Then a specialized set I like to call "kindly **** off with your BS, Teostra." Max blast/stun resistance with a level 5 attack boost and max fire resistance.

Last edited:

Randallooch

Sep 4, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Decorations are guaranteed from Tempered HR investigations. You can try to join some SOS flares or go on an expedition and search for blue tracks on non-elder dragons.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I ended up picking this up to play with friends.

I proceeded to create a dashing hunter and his noble feline sidekick Chuck, and then quickly discovered I'm about to be terrible at this game. :laugh:

Any pro tips for a complete noob?

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008

I proceeded to create a dashing hunter and his noble feline sidekick Chuck, and then quickly discovered I'm about to be terrible at this game. :laugh:

Just off the top of my head noob tips...

-Collect Everything you see, all the time(tracks, materials etc). You should be doing this at every point in the game.

-Accept that no weapon or set is the best and just use what you like or what is good against a certain monster.

-Go to the training area to practice your weapon skills and combos.

-Upgrade your equipment often, but don't blow all your resources into them early in the game. Don't get attached to a certain armour set because it looks cool and the next one up looks like ass, by the end game you can craft everything the way you want.

-HAVE FUN

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site

Go to the training area and test out all the different weapons till you find one that fits your style. You can always switch it up as you get more comfortable with the game. When i first tried the demo i hated the combat using the great sword and a few other of the slower weapons, switched to insect glaive and it worked for me.

Also, X66 tips.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Thanks for the tips.

I experimented with the gun lance because of how ridiculously hilarious it was, but so far I'm enjoying the bow (even though it seems very flat terrain dependent :laugh:).

Took awhile to figure out co-op. I find it odd you can't go on the expeditions with buddies, but hey.

It seems there's a lot of lag when playing co-op. There doesn't seem to be a problem when in the actual battles, but when tracking the monster, it was hard to keep track of my friend who was lag-teleporting everywhere. Apparently I was doing the same thing on his screen, although I didn't notice on my end.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I know it can be done, but I flat out refuse to fight Kirin at melee range. **** that noise.

Becomes way more manageable at range with a bow.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
In regards to the tempered Kirin;

I hate it I hate it I hate it I hate it I hate it I hate it I hate it I hate it I hate it I hate it I hate it I hate it I hate it I hate it I hate it I hate It I hate it I hate it I hate it.

This might be where I stop until the DLC drops. :laugh:

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
I might be dumb, but are there any tricks for getting co-op to not lag like crazy? It's almost unplayable at this point.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I'd love to try this, but I've bounced so hard off other MH games.

I hear they've made a ton of QOL improvements, but I think this is probably a $20-30 price point buy for me.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I might be dumb, but are there any tricks for getting co-op to not lag like crazy? It's almost unplayable at this point.

It might be your connection(or the players you're playing with) in all honesty. I haven't ran into any connection(lag) problems, and I'm well over 100 hours in. I've played with people from all over, including the worst lagger on HFboards(no names shall be revealed) and never had an issue.

Do you hard-wire your router into the console? Might help.

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
I know Xbox multiplayer had issues early on so it may be related to that. Also could be something about your connection cause I have played a bunch and have never had any lag issues.

It might be your connection(or the players you're playing with) in all honesty. I haven't ran into any connection(lag) problems, and I'm well over 100 hours in. I've played with people from all over, including the worst lagger on HFboards(no names shall be revealed) and never had an issue.
I fixed that issue :madfire:

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008

Do you hard-wire your router into the console? Might help.

I know Xbox multiplayer had issues early on so it may be related to that. Also could be something about your connection cause I have played a bunch and have never had any lag issues.

It's so weird. I'm not getting that issue in anything else and I have a pretty decent connection. My buddy has god tier internet and he's hosting, but it's ridiculously laggy to the point where I can't even tell where his character is since he's usually off running into a rock somewhere on my screen. To be fair, I think this works to my advantage as it's really easy to dodge the monsters when they freeze constantly. :laugh:

At first I wondered if it was just my Xbox because it was trying its little heart out to run the game and not doing a great job, but I'm on the One X now and it runs great. Unfortunately, this just makes the lag stand out more.

I'm currently running it on 5GHz AC wireless but I could try fishing out my giant ethernet cable and giving it a shot.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
It's so weird. I'm not getting that issue in anything else and I have a pretty decent connection. My buddy has god tier internet and he's hosting, but it's ridiculously laggy to the point where I can't even tell where his character is since he's usually off running into a rock somewhere on my screen. To be fair, I think this works to my advantage as it's really easy to dodge the monsters when they freeze constantly. :laugh:

At first I wondered if it was just my Xbox because it was trying its little heart out to run the game and not doing a great job, but I'm on the One X now and it runs great. Unfortunately, this just makes the lag stand out more.

I'm currently running it on 5GHz AC wireless but I could try fishing out my giant ethernet cable and giving it a shot.

Oh, I see. That is pretty weird.

It might be what 18Hossa mentioned then with it being an Xbox server problem.

Hopefully the wire works for you!

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Oh, I see. That is pretty weird.

It might be what 18Hossa mentioned then with it being an Xbox server problem.

Hopefully the wire works for you!

As far as I remember, the patch was to deal with matchmaking issues...but I could be wrong.

I have very little trouble getting into an online session with my friend, but as soon as we try to actually play the game, it all goes to hell.

I've read about many people having issues, but it seems to be mostly in the first area for some reason....

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
The lag is really sporadic for me. Most of the time, it's a solid experience hunting with the other players.

The odd time, you get a busted party where the lag spikes are real. I got killed one time because I joined a guy's server where Nergigante would literally freeze in mid-air and then have his dive bomb animation happen all in a split second while I could still move. Not exactly the easiest thing to dodge to begin with, try it where you're basically needing to have split second reaction times on a superman dive. :laugh:

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
The lag is really sporadic for me. Most of the time, it's a solid experience hunting with the other players.

The odd time, you get a busted party where the lag spikes are real. I got killed one time because I joined a guy's server where Nergigante would literally freeze in mid-air and then have his dive bomb animation happen all in a split second while I could still move. Not exactly the easiest thing to dodge to begin with, try it where you're basically needing to have split second reaction times on a superman dive. :laugh:

The lag has officially killed my enjoyment of this game. I'm sure there's a fun game in there, but I bought it for the co-op and it's entirely broken....at least for me and my buddy. That leaves a bit of a sour taste in my mouth.

At some points the other night, my buddy said the monster had run away, and I had a good 10-20 seconds of slashing on him left before he took off on my screen. We weren't even playing the same game anymore....

We switched over to Halo 5 co-op, which runs like a dream....so it's not the connection or the Xbox....

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
The lag has officially killed my enjoyment of this game. I'm sure there's a fun game in there, but I bought it for the co-op and it's entirely broken....at least for me and my buddy. That leaves a bit of a sour taste in my mouth.

At some points the other night, my buddy said the monster had run away, and I had a good 10-20 seconds of slashing on him left before he took off on my screen. We weren't even playing the same game anymore....

We switched over to Halo 5 co-op, which runs like a dream....so it's not the connection or the Xbox....

That is really Sh***y!

Honestly I don't think any of us that play together in this group(about 5 of us) ever experienced lag, or anything like you and your buddy have gone through.

Hopefully that issue is fixed somewhere in the the future and you jump back in.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Yeah that sucks. I haven't seen anything like that in my 170 hours or so of playing (most of which with a friend)

That's a bummer since this game can be a real drag sometimes without friends.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
That is really Sh***y!

Honestly I don't think any of us that play together in this group(about 5 of us) ever experienced lag, or anything like you and your buddy have gone through.

Hopefully that issue is fixed somewhere in the the future and you jump back in.

Yeah it sucks really bad...

I hope so too, but we'll see. I think the experience has just been too frustrating so far.

Yeah that sucks. I haven't seen anything like that in my 170 hours or so of playing (most of which with a friend)

That's a bummer since this game can be a real drag sometimes without friends.

I'm not sure what the heck's going on, because it's very consistent. The only information I found online seems to be related to matchmaking, but I've had no issue there.

I agree it can be a drag solo....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->