Monster Hunter World

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
91 Metacritic so far :)

The grind is almost here!

As for your question, in the old games you were stuck to your weapon until you made it to the town, but in world you can change your weapons during the mission, I think only in the base camp area though.

I think the reason for this is for multi-hunt missions, monsters with various weaknesses would be pretty tough to take down if you were stuck to one weapon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
91 Metacritic so far :)

The grind is almost here!

As for your question, in the old games you were stuck to your weapon until you made it to the town, but in world you can change your weapons during the mission, I think only in the base camp area though.

I think the reason for this is for multi-hunt missions, monsters with various weaknesses would be pretty tough to take down if you were stuck to one weapon.

I've been watching some streams so i got my answer. You can upgrade multiple weapons (just need to grind parts).

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
This is the first Monster Hunter game I've had even a modicum of interest in.

Gonna see how active my friends lists on PS4 and XBONE are with it. If enough of the people I play games with jump in, I'll jump in too.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I know that swords kinda get a pass for just going through enemies in video games but it looks a little absurd in this game.

These things make Cloud's Buster Sword look like a pocket knife and it looks quite frankly dumb to have them pass through enemies with no little to no reaction. Also similar, the clipping issues of the player character when fighting large monster look bad.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I know that swords kinda get a pass for just going through enemies in video games but it looks a little absurd in this game.

These things make Cloud's Buster Sword look like a pocket knife and it looks quite frankly dumb to have them pass through enemies with no little to no reaction. Also similar, the clipping issues of the player character when fighting large monster look bad.

Massive, non-linear/controlled games that have minor clipping issues?

No way!

giphy.gif

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Massive, non-linear/controlled games that have minor clipping issues?

No way!

They look worse then minor though.

But whatever, im a Bethesda fan :laugh:

I will get around to this game, I was just taken aback watching some video today how bad the clipping issues were.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Is the performance improved from the "beta" build? I found it to be unplayable on a regular PS4.
I’d appreciate an answer on this, as well. I’m a Monster Hunter newbie, but I really want to get this and try it out. I only have a regular PS4, though, and everyone I’ve seen review this has said they reviewed it on a PS4 Pro.

Randallooch

Sep 4, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Hmm...I pre-ordered this but had no idea of the issues with normal PS4s. I guess I will wait and see if I need to return. I don't know how interested I am in buying a Pro.

Conrad McBenis

Bow Down
Jan 10, 2018
Downloaded it last night and got through the opening cut scenes this morning.

Got dropped in the first area and it seems to run OK on my normal Xbox One. Haven't fought anything yet... so, well see.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
It runs fine on the normal Xbox One/PS4 outside of a few people complaining of screen tearing/flashing lights. I played it for about 3 hours and had no issues with it performance wise.

Multiplayer however, is totally busted. Apparently 3 PS4 beta tests weren't enough for Capcom to figure out how to make it work. Inviting works but anything based around matchmaking is non-functional.

Edit: The framedrops are also overblown. It's not like it turns into a slideshow.

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
Had fun with a couple friends for the few hours I got to play last night. Only played one previous MH game with them years ago and it can be tough to just jump in and try and learn everything especially if you are playing with veterans and they are going through things quickly.

Luckily I had the beta for refreshers and it definitely helped. Also story mode. Need to figure out what my secondary weapon is going to be. Starting off with dual blades and think I will actually enjoy going through the grind of multiple hunts to try and get gear sets I think are cool and good.

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
It runs fine on the normal Xbox One/PS4 outside of a few people complaining of screen tearing/flashing lights. I played it for about 3 hours and had no issues with it performance wise.

Multiplayer however, is totally busted. Apparently 3 PS4 beta tests weren't enough for Capcom to figure out how to make it work. Inviting works but anything based around matchmaking is non-functional.

Edit: The framedrops are also overblown. It's not like it turns into a slideshow.

PSN was having issues all weekend. And apparently XBOX matchmaking isn't working. But when its up it works pretty well, Except for the fact that any mission with a cutscene (which is almost all main missions) you need to watch the cutscene first (which involves you finding the monster) before you can play with friends.

For those who haven't played with friends, here is how (atleast on PS4)

• Login to a match make session (the default when you login)
  • Click Start
  • Communications - Invite Friend
  • Send an invite through PSN
  • Friends accept and joins your session. You can see whose in your session under player list.
  • Now your in the same session until you logoff
  • One person posts a quests or investigation to the question board, it will pop up on screen saying they did.
  • Other people to go Quest Board and Join Quest, find the one you posted and join.

A party system should really be in this game. Note: You can also setup a squad(Clan) in the gathering hub. If you do this when you login you can login to a squad only session. If you do this you and your squad members will be the only ones in that session.

After a weekend of playing this game, i'm addicted. Keep unlocking new armor i want to hunt and new things to do.

Randallooch

Sep 4, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Elaborate
The last few posts were talking about the performance issues in the beta on a regular ps4 being pretty severe? Does this require more elaboration? I'm confused.

I went and played the game anyway, and I haven't dropped frames once. It's pretty fun. Tried the Insect Glaive, but it wasn't for me. Moved to the Dual Blades and I love them.

Smoke

~consume enhance replicate~
Aug 2, 2005
PA
I was on the fence about buying it for console. I'm glad I didn't wait for the PC version because I'm having a lot of fun with it and it is really hard to put down.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Everything about the this game is top notch. For newer players, once you learn how to crush the Anjanath you're pretty much set since you should pick the necessary "game sense" to tangle with the harder monsters. It's all about observation and positioning.

The music is unreal too. The battle music for rotten vale monsters in particular is amazing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad