Monarchs seek new ownership

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
The current owners probably won’t want to pay the membership fee if the franchise goes dormant it whould probably fold alltogether
they may be required to, Centrum, it simply isn't as easy to terminate a franchise as it once was thought, which is why the terminology 'fold' is never used unless necessary....

only the leagues themselves can terminate a member club's franchise, but it has to be egregious violations of league rules, they just simply suspend or cease operations...

Quad City was not a 'fold' THOUGH, they voluntarily returned their membership.....

why is the company who found the current ownership and are they still actively involved in the ownership search ...

the question becomes if Manchester suspends ops as has now been reported, what recourse does the ECHL HAVE and past history of the league tells you the E keeps certain markets indefinitely....

Manchester now, if it's bleeding red ink in the ECHL, no way does that improve financially in the AHL, THE only thing other than Boston affiliation is flipping Hartford to Manchester, and I'M not sure MSG would be too keen moving further from MSG than where they are

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Are any of the Worcester posters going to monarchs railers tonight i am curious what the attitude of the people who work for the team will be

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
they may be required to, Centrum, it simply isn't as easy to terminate a franchise as it once was thought, which is why the terminology 'fold' is never used unless necessary....

only the leagues themselves can terminate a member club's franchise, but it has to be egregious violations of league rules, they just simply suspend or cease operations...

Quad City was not a 'fold' THOUGH, they voluntarily returned their membership.....

why is the company who found the current ownership and are they still actively involved in the ownership search ...

the question becomes if Manchester suspends ops as has now been reported, what recourse does the ECHL HAVE and past history of the league tells you the E keeps certain markets indefinitely....

Manchester now, if it's bleeding red ink in the ECHL, no way does that improve financially in the AHL, THE only thing other than Boston affiliation is flipping Hartford to Manchester, and I'M not sure MSG would be too keen moving further from MSG than where they are
I think that terminology might be confusing to some people.

The way I understand it there are three categories a franchise can be in.
Operational - the team is playing, selling tickets, etc.
Suspended operations - someone still owns the franchise, but they will not be playing for the upcoming or current season.
Terminated - the team no longer exists, and the franchise has been dissolved by the league.

An operational or suspended team can be sold to someone else. A terminated franchise cannot - although the league can create a new franchise via expansion.

"operational" could also be called "active", and probably some other synonyms.
"Suspended operations" is generally the only term used for that category.
"Terminated" can also be referred to as "folded", "ceased operations", "out of business", and probably more synonyms.

Sort of like saying Peter Tork recently died. You might prefer to say he "passed on", "passed away", "croaked", "kicked the bucket", "expired", "perished", "deceased", "gave up the ghost", "expired", or some other synonym. Some imply a particular type of death, but they all mean the same thing in the end.

The league might not like to say "folded" and prefer "ceased operations", "voluntarily returned the franchise to the league" or "terminated", but that is just semantics. Either way the franchise is gone, and if a new team decides to begin they would need to buy an expansion franchise, or buy some other team, because that particular one no longer exists.

Reactions: Avsrule2022

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
I think that terminology might be confusing to some people.

The way I understand it there are three categories a franchise can be in.
Operational - the team is playing, selling tickets, etc.
Suspended operations - someone still owns the franchise, but they will not be playing for the upcoming or current season.
Terminated - the team no longer exists, and the franchise has been dissolved by the league.

An operational or suspended team can be sold to someone else. A terminated franchise cannot - although the league can create a new franchise via expansion.

"operational" could also be called "active", and probably some other synonyms.
"Suspended operations" is generally the only term used for that category.
"Terminated" can also be referred to as "folded", "ceased operations", "out of business", and probably more synonyms.

Sort of like saying Peter Tork recently died. You might prefer to say he "passed on", "passed away", "croaked", "kicked the bucket", "expired", "perished", "deceased", "gave up the ghost", "expired", or some other synonym. Some imply a particular type of death, but they all mean the same thing in the end.

The league might not like to say "folded" and prefer "ceased operations", "voluntarily returned the franchise to the league" or "terminated", but that is just semantics. Either way the franchise is gone, and if a new team decides to begin they would need to buy an expansion franchise, or buy some other team, because that particular one no longer exists.
A owner still has to pay the echl for a suspended franchise yearly

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
I think it’s a little early to write off the Monarchs as folding, suspending operations or whatever term people want to use. I’m not saying that they won’t suspend operations, but we’re still a little over a month before the end of the regular season. It’s been fairly quite with the league as far as potential relocations with any franchise. I’m still going to hedge my bet that an owner will pop up as we get closer to the end of the regular season when they can also announce a new affiliation with the Bruins. If they suspend operations, it doesn’t mean a new owner couldn’t purchase the franchise and announce a new affiliation, but I think they’ll have a new owner before the end of the season. Again, Manchester isn’t a bad hockey market. SNHU Arena is not a bad hockey building, but they are jaded hockey fans that feel like they’ve been screwed and no one is willing to listen to them or respect them. I think we have to get past that point.

As for all of the talk about the AHL.... I really can’t stress this enough. The AHL is never coming back to New England. It’s just not. The AHL has different business model now that focuses on the minor league team being as close as possible to the NHL club. Also, the AHL has outgrown the markets that once had AHL franchises. We’re maybe a decade away from Hartford, Bridgeport and even potentially Springfield relocating closer to their NHL base in markets that make sense for them financially. The best comparison that I can make is when the AHL left Atlantic Canada. That was considered a strong region for the AHL, but expansion into larger markets and newer arenas made it impossible to compete so the AHL left and the QMJHL moved into the area. New England is much the same way. The AHL is slowly leaving and the ECHL is filling those cities with franchises in Portland, Manchester and Worcester.

Even if Ottawa relocated to Quebec City, I believe that they would look for a market in Quebec in order to capitalize on the francophone media rights. So... I think people in New England that have an ECHL franchise needs to make a decision of accepting change or having no hockey at all.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
I think it’s a little early to write off the Monarchs as folding, suspending operations or whatever term people want to use. I’m not saying that they won’t suspend operations, but we’re still a little over a month before the end of the regular season. It’s been fairly quite with the league as far as potential relocations with any franchise. I’m still going to hedge my bet that an owner will pop up as we get closer to the end of the regular season when they can also announce a new affiliation with the Bruins. If they suspend operations, it doesn’t mean a new owner couldn’t purchase the franchise and announce a new affiliation, but I think they’ll have a new owner before the end of the season. Again, Manchester isn’t a bad hockey market. SNHU Arena is not a bad hockey building, but they are jaded hockey fans that feel like they’ve been screwed and no one is willing to listen to them or respect them. I think we have to get past that point.

As for all of the talk about the AHL.... I really can’t stress this enough. The AHL is never coming back to New England. It’s just not. The AHL has different business model now that focuses on the minor league team being as close as possible to the NHL club. Also, the AHL has outgrown the markets that once had AHL franchises. We’re maybe a decade away from Hartford, Bridgeport and even potentially Springfield relocating closer to their NHL base in markets that make sense for them financially. The best comparison that I can make is when the AHL left Atlantic Canada. That was considered a strong region for the AHL, but expansion into larger markets and newer arenas made it impossible to compete so the AHL left and the QMJHL moved into the area. New England is much the same way. The AHL is slowly leaving and the ECHL is filling those cities with franchises in Portland, Manchester and Worcester.

Even if Ottawa relocated to Quebec City, I believe that they would look for a market in Quebec in order to capitalize on the francophone media rights. So... I think people in New England that have an ECHL franchise needs to make a decision of accepting change or having no hockey at all.
Bridgeport is closer to the islanders than most upstate ny teams.A Hartford echl team should be a non starter since it’s a former nhl market the fanbase whould never embrace the echl type of hockey

Last edited:

Growlers

Go Growlers!
Dec 9, 2017

As for all of the talk about the AHL.... I really can’t stress this enough. The AHL is never coming back to New England. It’s just not. The AHL has different business model now that focuses on the minor league team being as close as possible to the NHL club. Also, the AHL has outgrown the markets that once had AHL franchises. We’re maybe a decade away from Hartford, Bridgeport and even potentially Springfield relocating closer to their NHL base in markets that make sense for them financially. The best comparison that I can make is when the AHL left Atlantic Canada. That was considered a strong region for the AHL, but expansion into larger markets and newer arenas made it impossible to compete so the AHL left and the QMJHL moved into the area. New England is much the same way. The AHL is slowly leaving and the ECHL is filling those cities with franchises in Portland, Manchester, and Worcester.

Very well said!

Either embrace it or lose it. For the 94-95 season the AHL had 5 teams in Atlantic Canada. Cap Breton, Fredericton, Charlottetown, Saint John and St. John's and a couple of seasons before that Moncton and Halifax were in there. None of those places have teams now. I feel the same will come to New England. The AHL is just too big for those markets and want to be as close as possible to the NHL parent team.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Very well said!

Either embrace it or lose it. For the 94-95 season the AHL had 5 teams in Atlantic Canada. Cap Breton, Fredericton, Charlottetown, Saint John and St. John's and a couple of seasons before that Moncton and Halifax were in there. None of those places have teams now. I feel the same will come to New England. The AHL is just too big for those markets and want to be as close as possible to the NHL parent team.

the fear I HAVE is how Boston looks at its affiliates, Providence only has the affiliation strictly because Delaware North wants their presence in Providence, they virtually did nothing in the 3 prior years before they left Portland, the question is and continues here, is the issue solely the ownership or the affiliation, or both...

the State of Rhode Island actually owns the arena in Providence

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Bridgeport is closer to the islanders than most upstate ny teams.A Hartford echl team should be a non starter since it’s a former nhl market the fanbase whould never embrace the echl type of hockey

The Islanders have had plans to relocate is AHL franchise to Nassau at some point once they move into the new arena in Belmont. Likewise, the Wolf Pack have been year to year in terms of whether they are going to stay or look elsewhere. MSG isn't committed to the XL Center. They'll eventually go where they can get a good deal. If Vancouver decides to leave Utica that might open up that market. Who knows what other market might become available, but my point is that AHL is no longer beholden to New England anymore than it was beholden to Atlantic Canada. The league is looking for bigger markets while NHL clubs are looking to markets that allow them be within short drive distance for scouting purposes, but they are also looking at being close for marketing purposes.

Reactions: Centrum Hockey

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
The Islanders have had plans to relocate is AHL franchise to Nassau at some point once they move into the new arena in Belmont. Likewise, the Wolf Pack have been year to year in terms of whether they are going to stay or look elsewhere. MSG isn't committed to the XL Center. They'll eventually go where they can get a good deal. If Vancouver decides to leave Utica that might open up that market. Who knows what other market might become available, but my point is that AHL is no longer beholden to New England anymore than it was beholden to Atlantic Canada. The league is looking for bigger markets while NHL clubs are looking to markets that allow them be within short drive distance for scouting purposes, but they are also looking at being close for marketing purposes.
I chould see why the Wolfpack is allways rumored to move I went to the game vs the bears last night and there was barely 1000 people in the seats and the luxury box tickets where 13$ cheaper than the railers and monarchs entry prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad