Monarchs seek new ownership

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Small crowds - especially on weeknights - are par for the course for the playoffs in just about every market outside of Toledo & Fort Wayne. Minor pro teams rely *heavily* on advance sales and groups and it's difficult to get those fans to come to games scheduled less than a week in advance.

Correction: Every market but Toledo. Even Toledo doesn't draw that well. They announced 4500+ for a game against Cincinnati on May 1 but there was not a chance there was more than 3500 in the building. I was there and if it was half full, it was barely.

Fort Wayne regularly announces close to double what is actually in the house for week night games-both regular season and the playoffs. I've been at enough of these games to know this.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Season ticket holders often get their playoff tickets free for renewing for next year which means those get counted whether they show up or not.
Which teams do that? That is a great perk for STHs, but has to be a huge money loser for the team. Since sponsors and groups are notoriously difficult to sell for playoffs, most teams only have their season ticket holders buying playoff tickets. If you give those away for free, you have almost no-one buying playoff tickets.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Which teams do that? That is a great perk for STHs, but has to be a huge money loser for the team. Since sponsors and groups are notoriously difficult to sell for playoffs, most teams only have their season ticket holders buying playoff tickets. If you give those away for free, you have almost no-one buying playoff tickets.

I've seen that offer from teams previously. I think I heard some of the Worcester folks that have Providence partial packages mentioning it at Railers games.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI

Most teams are 1) Desperate to have a crowd to cheer on the team in the postseason and 2) ensure they make their nut for the following season which is more important than filling a few playoff games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad