Monarchs seek new ownership

Status
Not open for further replies.

Growlers

Go Growlers!
Dec 9, 2017
MANCHESTER, N.H. – The Manchester Monarchs Hockey Club, the ECHL affiliate of the Los Angeles Kings, have hired The Sports Advisory Group in hopes of seeking a new ownership group committed to the local Manchester community.

Located in Maryland, the Sports Advisory Group is a specialized professional sports team broker that represents clients in the sale and acquisition of Minor and Major League sports teams.

“We look forward to finding the right person or group to continue the affordable, family-friendly, and championship-caliber professional ice hockey experience here in New Hampshire,” said Manchester Monarchs President and CEO, Brian Cheek.

“I have long been familiar with the Monarchs’ strong brand,” said Tommy George, Senior Associate at The Sports Advisory Group. “The team occupies an esteemed position and reputation in the professional hockey landscape, and I know this is a fun, fulfilling business for one looking to continue its tradition.”

“The Monarchs brand has solid household name recognition across New England and the League,” added Cheek. “The team has certainly made an impact in the community with fans, our corporate sponsors and the countless non-profit organizations that have benefitted through the Monarchs Care Foundation. The legacy of Monarchs hockey in Manchester is second to none. Our goal is to preserve the consistency of day-to-day operations both on and off the ice. Tickets are being sold. Group events are being planned and Max will continue to host birthday parties.”

As of Jan. 18, the Monarchs are averaging 2,492 fans per game this season, 25th among 27 teams in the ECHL.

Source: Monarchs seek new ownership

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
The end is Nigh.

The City/fans haven't forgiven the Kings for what happened when they moved the AHL team out west.

The sudden shift without warning was bad enough, but the insistence that there was "no drop in quality" combined with increased ticket prices really alienated a lot of fans.

I remember going to Pink in the Rink while it was still the AHL team and the balcony was nearly full (the lower bowl was completely full). One of the last Monarchs games I went to (Game 7 of the 2017 Eastern Conference Finals) the balcony was covered and the lower bowl was maybe a quarter full (if that).

They really screwed up there. It would probably be better if the team folded/relocated and an entirely new team (name everything) came in a year or two once people are missing hockey (see Worcester).

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
MANCHESTER, N.H. – The Manchester Monarchs Hockey Club, the ECHL affiliate of the Los Angeles Kings, have hired The Sports Advisory Group in hopes of seeking a new ownership group committed to the local Manchester community.

Located in Maryland, the Sports Advisory Group is a specialized professional sports team broker that represents clients in the sale and acquisition of Minor and Major League sports teams.

“We look forward to finding the right person or group to continue the affordable, family-friendly, and championship-caliber professional ice hockey experience here in New Hampshire,” said Manchester Monarchs President and CEO, Brian Cheek.

“I have long been familiar with the Monarchs’ strong brand,” said Tommy George, Senior Associate at The Sports Advisory Group. “The team occupies an esteemed position and reputation in the professional hockey landscape, and I know this is a fun, fulfilling business for one looking to continue its tradition.”

“The Monarchs brand has solid household name recognition across New England and the League,” added Cheek. “The team has certainly made an impact in the community with fans, our corporate sponsors and the countless non-profit organizations that have benefitted through the Monarchs Care Foundation. The legacy of Monarchs hockey in Manchester is second to none. Our goal is to preserve the consistency of day-to-day operations both on and off the ice. Tickets are being sold. Group events are being planned and Max will continue to host birthday parties.”

As of Jan. 18, the Monarchs are averaging 2,492 fans per game this season, 25th among 27 teams in the ECHL.

Source: Monarchs seek new ownership
not a new story

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
The end is Nigh.

The City/fans haven't forgiven the Kings for what happened when they moved the AHL team out west.

The sudden shift without warning was bad enough, but the insistence that there was "no drop in quality" combined with increased ticket prices really alienated a lot of fans.

I remember going to Pink in the Rink while it was still the AHL team and the balcony was nearly full (the lower bowl was completely full). One of the last Monarchs games I went to (Game 7 of the 2017 Eastern Conference Finals) the balcony was covered and the lower bowl was maybe a quarter full (if that).

They really screwed up there. It would probably be better if the team folded/relocated and an entirely new team (name everything) came in a year or two once people are missing hockey (see Worcester).
so under that assumption, Toronto should buy and relocate the Fisher Cats, correct? Since Boston virtually has ignored Providence and any other affiliation it has done over the years, BF37

WHY hasn't Boston bought Providence outright continuing that trend already established when Worcester, Newfoundland and Portland went through that same exact scenario with Boston in 1991, and we thrived

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
so under that assumption, Toronto should buy and relocate the Fisher Cats, correct? Since Boston virtually has ignored Providence and any other affiliation it has done over the years, BF37

WHY hasn't Boston bought Providence outright continuing that trend already established when Worcester, Newfoundland and Portland went through that same exact scenario with Boston in 1991, and we thrived
As long as Delaware north has concessions at the dunk Jacobs does not need to own the ahl team
Dunkin Donuts Center | AHL Providence Bruins | Delaware North

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
The end is Nigh.

I agree with everything except for the team folding. I'm fairly certain they'll find a new owner. You're right, however, the fanbase rejected Brian Cheek and that ownership group for various reasons and the Monarchs made several fatal mistakes moving from the AHL to the ECHL. They attempted to pass off the transition as nothing. They kept the same logo, same jerseys, same colors and tried to sell it as the same product as people where paying for in the AHL. They didn't involve the fanbase in transition. They could have allowed the team to change its color scheme back to the original team. They cut corners on amenities and treatment of the fans suffered. It all had an effect.

The one thing that might restore some of the attendance would the Bruins affiliation which will be available for the Monarchs taking. The ultimate question is how much of a rebuild would the Monarchs need to do. Could they just update the color scheme and modernize the logo? Would they have to complete rebrand the name of team? Those are questions that would need to be answered when and if the Monarchs could land the Bruins ECHL affiliation.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
I agree with everything except for the team folding. I'm fairly certain they'll find a new owner. You're right, however, the fanbase rejected Brian Cheek and that ownership group for various reasons and the Monarchs made several fatal mistakes moving from the AHL to the ECHL. They attempted to pass off the transition as nothing. They kept the same logo, same jerseys, same colors and tried to sell it as the same product as people where paying for in the AHL. They didn't involve the fanbase in transition. They could have allowed the team to change its color scheme back to the original team. They cut corners on amenities and treatment of the fans suffered. It all had an effect.

The one thing that might restore some of the attendance would the Bruins affiliation which will be available for the Monarchs taking. The ultimate question is how much of a rebuild would the Monarchs need to do. Could they just update the color scheme and modernize the logo? Would they have to complete rebrand the name of team? Those are questions that would need to be answered when and if the Monarchs could land the Bruins ECHL affiliation.
i do not think Manchester could attract another ahl team if the echl team moves or folds. i cant find the article but i remember Dave Andrews being interviewed on the state of the ahl a few years back and In the interview he called Manchester a echl market.Maybe they chould get a junior team to play there

Last edited:

Woo Hockey

@WooHockeyNews
Jul 5, 2014
Worcester, MA
woo.hockey
i do not think Manchester could attract another ahl team if the echl team moves or folds. i cant find the article but i remember Dave Andrews being interviewed on the state of the ahl a few years back and In the interview he called Manchester a echl market.Maybe they chould get a junior team to play there

Nobody is saying they'll attract a new AHL team. There's no way the AHL returns to any of the cities in the Northeast with the way that league is going. The idea of a Junior team to play there is a bit silly.

Should the team find a new owner, the team should take a year or two off, rebrand, and build from the ground up like a new team and attempt to repair the broken ties with the community.

The arena could also go through some renovations during that time such as upgrading the lighting and installing a new video board.

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
...I'm fairly certain they'll find a new owner. ...

I am too, I just feel that a total and complete break from the Monarchs brand would be better for the city/fans since the Monarchs brand has become poisoned by extremely bad management. I'm not even sure a Bruins affiliation could save the "Monarchs" at this point. A renamed team (non-Monarchs) might work but the best thing to do imho is to fold or relocate the current team, so that there's no perception of the current (incompetent) management remaining. Then a new (local) owner brings in a brand new team with a focus on making the game/experience enjoyable and the fans will come back.

Manchester could support a AHL team, it's just extremely unlikely with the current focus on ownership by the NHL and close proximity to parent club -- and that's unlikely to change. Before the Kings flipped the AHL/ECHL teams Manchester was above average for attendance in the AHL (Manchester was averaging 5600 while the league was averaging 5300), thanks to atrocious management they're now nearly dead last in the ECHL.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
In 2014-15 the AHL Monarchs announced numbers gave them a 5,621 average against the league average of 5,508. The actual "butts in the seats" number for the Monarchs was a lot lower than that.

In 2015-16 the ECHL Monarchs averaged 4,571 vs a league average of 4,386. I've never seen the "butts in the seats" numbers for that season, but the two games I went to, which were both Saturday games after the football season was over, the place was a ghost town.

EDIT: 16-17 was 3,580 vs 4,252; 17-18 was 2,793 vs 4,424; and this season is 2,492 vs 4,209

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
this is not any different than when the existing owners acquired the rights from the Kings, changing Manchester to the model used by Portland, that has been moderately successful, as Worcester has used that model with the Railers, to a lesser extent, Newfoundland has that with its ownership structure rather than Toronto calling all the shots.

if the Monarchs fully reboot and take a hiatus, like Portland, Newfoundland, and Worcester have ultimately done, where would the Kings affiliation go next in this landscape, that's the downside of forcing the complete change that Burke proposed back in 2006, and implemented in 2015, because it's my understanding that SVSE was still in discussions with the city of Worcester as 210 may have revealed, whether that was publicly known didn't change the result that SVSE was wanting to join AEG in having their affiliates they owned then where it ultimately resulted.....

wildcat did warn us the Pacific Division was coming to fruition, whether it occurred in 2015, or by the end of the decade....

if Monarch fans want to blame AEG, that's their prerogative, the blame/anger should be directed at Brian Burke

Last edited:

nickp91

Jun 29, 2011
Manchester Monarchs averaging 5,621 fans per game in their final AHL season

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
Do you think they will be around next season?

Yes, but the new owners would be wise to rename the team, and sever ties with the Kings (if they can)

They'd be better off as an independent team, than keeping the Kings affiliation. Only three current Monarch players (1 goalie) are under contract with the Kings.

Woo Hockey

@WooHockeyNews
Jul 5, 2014
Worcester, MA
woo.hockey
Do you think they will be around next season?

I think it could go in either direction, but it's looking like they'll return next year.

Here's a few more notes and thoughts (both relevant and irrelevant to why I say that) that I have on Manchester:

Their agreement with the Arena is good for another few seasons, but that doesn't mean much as teams with active agreements have folded or moved.

Their corporate sponsorships have dwindled in recent years. Take a look at the empty end boards in the game highlights, those were all full compared to last season.

They no longer list their front office staff on their website. That's because of how much turnover they've had this season and within the past few seasons. Based on recent emails I've received it sounds like they're have two employees handing ticket sales.

There is a good amount of former fans vocal about being anti-ECHL and only wanting an AHL team. There is also complaints about ticket prices on public posts. Those would go away with a different name and affiliation.

As attendance figures are posted on here 2,000 is a really generous figure. I've been up there for all but one of the Railers vs Monarchs games and I could probably count a more accurate number because of how small the crowd was. For the only game the Railers played up their earlier this season there was maybe 50 people in seats.

We can assume the future of the Monarchs was discussed or came up in conversation (along with other possible franchises) at the Board of Governors meeting this weekend.

If anything was decided on if they'll go dark next season, it'll probably come in the next month or so (based on previous announcements).

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Yes, but the new owners would be wise to rename the team, and sever ties with the Kings (if they can)

They'd be better off as an independent team, than keeping the Kings affiliation. Only three current Monarch players (1 goalie) are under contract with the Kings.
except, the branding likely won't be changing, even if the affiliation does, BF37, that contracted rule has always been there, you just weren't as impacted by it because Manchester has led the league in recalls every season they've been in the ECHL.

you need to watch Doug Christiansen's interview/philosophy on ECHL Week, he tells you how the organization operates....

I can remember Florida utilizing Manchester in 2015/16, even though they were the Kings primary contract affiliate.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018

The kings must be toxic in the Manchester community in 2015 they where advertising the Calder cup champion Ontario Reign seconds after the monarchs won the Calder cup

Reactions: wildcat48

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Centrum:

was SVSE aka the Sharks doing the exact same thing that AEG was doing in Manchester? I don't buy that explanation or scenario you've presented..... the results in both markets ended up being that, the question becomes who convinced the other when it became public knowledge that LA/SJ were in favor of the Pacific Division as it became constituted, never mind Anaheim doing to Norfolk what they ended up doing there in favor of San Diego, they had to get Edmonton's E franchise to be a part of that transition, much the same as Arizona exercising the option to buy the Falcons the following year, to relocate them to Tucson, which that precipitated the current Thunderbirds sailing from Portland...

all that was revealed as 210 stated, was SVSE had been in discussions with the city of Worcester, which owns/operates DCU, BECAUSE THE Sharks' lease in Worcester was expiring, the same year as what eventually transpired.

Independent of that, the Pacific had been on the agenda since Burke's comments back in '06, when Anaheim succeeded Washington in Portland, that has nothing to do with AEG or Manchester....

why the Sharks elected to relocate their affiliate in the same arena as the parent club, and you still see some backlash, off that, based off their comments about SAP being serviced by two hockey teams, around ancillary events, one of which is the NHL operating in conjunction as the host city for the All Star Game this weekend.

Ontario already existed, otherwise, Manchester doesn't have pro hockey, and the last thing is the Monarchs Calder Cup season, what that fanbase and fellow fanbases wanted to have was to see whether 2014/15 was an abberation or a trend, that's the downside of having the NHL franchise control every aspect of the way the franchise operates, as was stated earlier, Worcester knows that between the sidebar of the Blues experience, and the sideshow created off the relocation to Peoria, and how the Journal Star reported that/"boasting".

Last edited:

BTV

Oct 12, 2005
Lewiston, Maine
I've been to every Monarchs-Mariners game in Manchester so far this season (3 Saturday nights, and New Years Eve). NYE had a decent turn out, but the Saturdays the attendance was definitely a few hundred, and nowhere near the numbers they report. I've talked to some fans who have come up to Maine for games and comments that stood out to me were "it was PACKED up there" and "the place was rockin'!" They have become so accustomed to an empty building, this is how they view a crowd of 3,300. Years ago they would have ridiculed an attendance number like that - and often did.

I can recall during one Pirates-Monarchs game during their final AHL season, I overheard a conversation between a ticket rep and a season ticket holder happening in the row in front of me. The ticket rep used the line "No, it will all be the same...just different opponents." Different opponents I believe is the closest anyone associated with the team ever got to admitting it was an entirely different league. As has been said in this thread many times before, this was such an underhanded tactic. Hope they can turn it around with a new owner and it hasn't soured to the point of "AHL or nothing" because the A ain't coming back...

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
all that was revealed as 210 stated, was SVSE had been in discussions with the city of Worcester, which owns/operates DCU, BECAUSE THE Sharks' lease in Worcester was expiring, the same year as what eventually transpired.

The City of Worcester does not operate the DCU Center, SMG does.

The WorSharks lease with the DCU Center wasn't expiring. They originally signed a ten year lease that had two renegotiation points in it (after years 5 & 7). After year seven a buyout was established that either party could use after year nine. The WorSharks took that buyout to move out west.

The original plan for both parties was for year ten to go on as normal, but the western move happened a season earlier that either party anticipated, which is one of the reasons there was no ECHL expansion team in the wings ready to go.

I'd reply to the rest of that post, but it was all gibberish to me and I have no idea what point was trying to be made there.

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
For me it's not the the "A or nothing", I don't want to be treated like garbage, which is what the Monarchs management (especially right after the switch) did.

I'm about halfway between Manchester and Worcester, and typically I've been buying 3-4 games a year as Christmas/birthday presents. I never had a huge vested interest in the team -- I was there to see a hockey game and have and enjoyable night out, nothing more nothing less. After getting treated like garbage by the Monarchs it was nothing to switch to going to see the Railers (or UMass-Lowell).

Heck until this year, it was cheaper to go down to Providence and see the P-Bruins than see the Monarchs, but that was much longer drive, which was the only thing keeping me from doing that on a regular basis.

Reactions: Woo Hockey

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
The City of Worcester does not operate the DCU Center, SMG does.

The WorSharks lease with the DCU Center wasn't expiring. They originally signed a ten year lease that had two renegotiation points in it (after years 5 & 7). After year seven a buyout was established that either party could use after year nine. The WorSharks took that buyout to move out west.

The original plan for both parties was for year ten to go on as normal, but the western move happened a season earlier that either party anticipated, which is one of the reasons there was no ECHL expansion team in the wings ready to go.

I'd reply to the rest of that post, but it was all gibberish to me and I have no idea what point was trying to be made there.
San Jose was at least honest about wanting their prospects elsewhere the LA Kings called Manchester their second home and immediately tried to sell off the team as soon as they went to the echl

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
In a word? Yes. Things aren't as bad as people are making it out to be. There are definately people interested in buying the team and the transfer should go smoothly.

I agree.... I believe the team isn't going anywhere, but do think they need to start over by rebranding either by going back to the original team colors or some other way. They can't keep doing more of the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad