Proposal: Monahan to Montreal for 4th overall.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Mathew Tkachuk is our best player imo. If we can get another Tkachuk that is just as effective then we really should do it. I love the idea of having those 2 out there totally disrupting opposing teams lol.
Just take a page out of Montreal's book and see if johney can play center lmao

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Tbh Idk how good Monahan would even look on montreal he pretty much has the perfect setup on the flames. Obv better than anything montreal has but they would have a better fit with a playmaking center imo

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
OP, are you a Flames fan let alone a Monahan fan? Why on earth would you take a mystery box only 2 slots higher than where Monahan was first drafted? This move makes completely no sense if management's mandate is playoffs.

Let's put it this way. Another player on your roster who is a former Flame, Paul Byron joined your core the immediate season after wrist surgery, surgery for a hernia and a high ankle sprain. After his initial recovery, he seems to be doing just fine for you. These injuries were the reason why he had a poor pre-season and thus management tried to hide him in the AHL to recover. Management didn't need to waive him and likely would have succeeded in sending him down if you had not suddenly had room to claim him due to the Kassian situation.

I think Monahan will be perfectly fine after these surgeries. Some people are overreacting.

The difference being we claimed Byron, did not gave a 4th OVR pick.

I sure wish Monahan comes back at 100% for you guys.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I agree. Only pick off-limits for Montreal should be 1st overall.

I wouldn't do it if we end up picking 2nd... but it might be the only scenario where the value is there for CGY. Svechnikov is a 1B easily.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Montreal should not be trading away 4 OA draft picks.
Yeah because Tkachuk is so old you could never build around him....

Seriously people. We're not talking about an aging vet. Tkachuk just turned 20. So many people here who don't understand asset management.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Tbh Idk how good Monahan would even look on montreal he pretty much has the perfect setup on the flames. Obv better than anything montreal has but they would have a better fit with a playmaking center imo
Monahan performs just as consistently when playing without Gaudreau.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

Monahan had his best season this year, while playing through the injuries. Unless the surgeries somehow make him worse, he'll be fine.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Yeah because Tkachuk is so old you could never build around him....

Seriously people. We're not talking about an aging vet. Tkachuk just turned 20. So many people here who don't understand asset management.
So the trade suggestion was 4OA for Monahan and you bring up Tkachuk?

giphy.gif

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
As others have said, the only way i consider trading Monahan is if we're guaranteed Tavares (which is very unlikely). Even then, I'd rather keep Monahan than have a player who might become a Monahan (or might not), since centre depth is important.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Before we even think of trading our 4th for Monahan i want to see where Tavares ends up. If we have a shot at Tavares i'd rather have Tavares and keep our draft pick which could end up 1,2,3 just as easily as 4,5,6,.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
It's still not enough to move a 23 year old #1 centre who just had four separate surgeries after playing through excruciating pain for 30+ games. Monahan is good and is an absolute heart-filled beast - he's the type of player you want to build your team with. You'd have to take away the conditional pick and Kylington...and even then, it's just a big ol "why" from a Calgary perspective?

You just can't win without strong centre depth, and outside of developing them internally it's incredibly hard/rare to acquire top end centres in trades. It usually requires odd situations (like Boston/Thornton) or a team entering a rebuild (Vancouver/Kesler).

The last quality centre to be moved in such a deal was Seth Jones/Ryan Johansen - and I believe there were some sort of dissatisfaction between Johansen and the Jackets, which definitely does not exist between Monahan and the Flames.

Monahan is a fine player, but let's not pretend he's a game breaking 1C. He's likely ranked 20-25th center in the NHL. I'd do the deal if Brady Tkachuk is still there at #4

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

Oh, I thought it was clear that I wouldn't do that Monahan for 4OA deal. I'm merely saying even a guy like Byron looks perfectly fine after having similar surgeries a few seasons ago, so the comments earlier in the thread that Monahan may not bounce back were grossly overstated.

But yeah. I'd keep Monahan over 4OA for sure. If we need a drastic move, Dougie to 1st RW over something like this plz.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad