Proposal: Monahan to Montreal for 4th overall.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
There's no incentive for Calgary, unless the pick lands in the top-2.

And, in that case, there's no incentive for Montreal.

Discussing trades for top-5 picks is so stupid. Those deals never, ever happen.

ComixZone

Jul 24, 2005
How about we make the deal bigger?

CLG:
Pacioretty, Max
4th overall (Brady Tkachuk)

MTL:
Monahan, Sean
Kylington, Oliver
Conditional 2020 2nd rd pick if Pacioretty resigns with Calgary.

It's still not enough to move a 23 year old #1 centre who just had four separate surgeries after playing through excruciating pain for 30+ games. Monahan is good and is an absolute heart-filled beast - he's the type of player you want to build your team with. You'd have to take away the conditional pick and Kylington...and even then, it's just a big ol "why" from a Calgary perspective?

You just can't win without strong centre depth, and outside of developing them internally it's incredibly hard/rare to acquire top end centres in trades. It usually requires odd situations (like Boston/Thornton) or a team entering a rebuild (Vancouver/Kesler).

The last quality centre to be moved in such a deal was Seth Jones/Ryan Johansen - and I believe there were some sort of dissatisfaction between Johansen and the Jackets, which definitely does not exist between Monahan and the Flames.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
I think it was actually a Flames fan who proposed this. Specifically, a fan of Monahan. Maybe "MonhanFan" is moving to Montreal and wants his favorite player to go with him?

This trade proposal is basically like the Family Guy skit about the mystery box vs. the boat....but the mystery box could be anything, it could even be a boat. Monahan is what you hope a #4 overall becomes, but it's far from a guarantee. Many #4 overalls become nothing. Very rarely do they work out to be better than a 30 goal 65+ point #1 centre.

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
Pacioretty has WAY more value than that. The original deal is not bad in value it just decimates the Flames' center depth

Correct me if i'm wrong but

Monahan > 4th overall

Pacioretty > Kylington, conditional 2nd

Thus, wouldn't the value somewhat even off somewhere in between?

Although, Montreal could also throw in a goalie (Lindgren or McNiven) as well in return for another piece.

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
I could see Bergevin doing such a stupid trade, so that we lose Monahan to UFA by the time Price and Weber are complete toast while being a nice little bubble team. We're the new Burke Leafs.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Correct me if i'm wrong but

Monahan > 4th overall

Pacioretty > Kylington, conditional 2nd

Thus, wouldn't the value somewhat even off somewhere in between?

Although, Montreal could also throw in a goalie (Lindgren or McNiven) as well in return for another piece.

no it doesn't even off. absolutely amazing amount of attention deficit when it comes to 67's numbers before injuries this year

4thlineduster

Jan 6, 2012
I’ll never understand why people think trading a draft pick (even a high one) for an established high end roster player is somehow a good trade.

Draft picks are good for supplemental pieces but to do a trade like that straight up? A GM would have to be a fool to give up a player like Monahan for a pick.

Monahan for Yakupov straight up would get you laughed at for proposing, yet back in the day people were certain that first overall pick should net a huge return.

Without a crystal ball, trading a pick for a high end player straight up is a stupid move that is nothing more than gambling on the part of the GM. If I were an owner I wouldn’t want my business hinging on a guy who likes to gamble.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Should be a done deal for the Habs. They would be lucky to get a young player that develops like Monahan has.

Sure, they could end up getting a better player but the odds aren't nearly as favourable.

After #1 and to a lesser extent, #2, there's at least a handful of guys that could make an argument for #3 onwards (more-so #4 onwards but Zadina has played himself out of a consensus #3 spot, whereas others have risen).

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Montreal has a 2.8% chance of having the 4th overall pick. They have a better chance of drafting 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th or 7th.

Assuming Montreal doesn't move up in the lottery though, that's a yes. A 23 year old 60 point center?

I have no idea why Calgary would do this though.

Reactions: Runner77

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I'm an oiler fan and i would LOVE the Flames to do this, tells you how much it makes sense for Calgary. Zero.

member 157595

I'm not a Calgary fan but are there actually any centers in this draft that realistically have the potential of becoming a player as good or better as Sean Monahan already is?

Unless you have an excess of Top 6 centers (which is very rare) you simply cannot afford to deplete your center depth in this league and expect to win.

Mike Hasselhoffman

Bell Centre Baywatch
Sep 17, 2011
There's no incentive for Calgary, unless the pick lands in the top-2.

And, in that case, there's no incentive for Montreal.

Discussing trades for top-5 picks is so stupid. Those deals never, ever happen.
Honestly, the only way I wouldn't do this deal is if Montreal ended up with the 1st overall pick.

Svechnikov is an amazing player but the idea of Montreal finally getting that legit #1C for the first time in decades is way too much to pass up.

Reactions: Fault and Fracture

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
I really really like Monahan and would do this deal 10/10 but somewhat his 4 surgeries make me think twice.

He might come back 100% and I'm way off with my fears, but I'd hesitate to pull the trigger.

Wrist reconstruction for a shooter like him + hip surgeries at his age, I don't know...
This.

member 157595

Honestly, the only way I wouldn't do this deal is if Montreal ended up with the 1st overall pick.

Svechnikov is an amazing player but the idea of Montreal finally getting that legit #1C for the first time in decades is way too much to pass up.
I agree. Only pick off-limits for Montreal should be 1st overall.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Seems like the stipulation of signing JT for Flames fans to say yes which I agree. Something along the lines of 4th overall + Chuky for Monohan +? I really like Alex ever since he was drafted. What would that plus be?

The plus would be on habs side still, a middle 6 W and 3-5th OA for a clear cut #1C, I wouldn't do it either way(2-1, 1-1). Calgary needs to add scoring forwards not subtract

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
OP, are you a Flames fan let alone a Monahan fan? Why on earth would you take a mystery box only 2 slots higher than where Monahan was first drafted? This move makes completely no sense if management's mandate is playoffs.

I really really like Monahan and would do this deal 10/10 but somewhat his 4 surgeries make me think twice.

He might come back 100% and I'm way off with my fears, but I'd hesitate to pull the trigger.

Wrist reconstruction for a shooter like him + hip surgeries at his age, I don't know...

Let's put it this way. Another player on your roster who is a former Flame, Paul Byron joined your core the immediate season after wrist surgery, surgery for a hernia and a high ankle sprain. After his initial recovery, he seems to be doing just fine for you. These injuries were the reason why he had a poor pre-season and thus management tried to hide him in the AHL to recover. Management didn't need to waive him and likely would have succeeded in sending him down if you had not suddenly had room to claim him due to the Kassian situation.

I think Monahan will be perfectly fine after these surgeries. Some people are overreacting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad