Proposal: Monahan to Montreal for 4th overall.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Doesn't make sense for Calgary with no obvious 1C replacement available. Now if Calgary was also signing Tavares it might make sense. Lower their salary by moving Monahan and gaining a terrific prospect at 4th overall.

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
I really really like Monahan and would do this deal 10/10 but somewhat his 4 surgeries make me think twice.

He might come back 100% and I'm way off with my fears, but I'd hesitate to pull the trigger.

Wrist reconstruction for a shooter like him + hip surgeries at his age, I don't know...

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Why would Calgary do this? Even if it's #2 overall, I think the Habs would do it. For sure #3 or later. Don't see why Calgary would give up their #1C though.

The Red Mile

Dec 18, 2013
Northern B.C.
Why would Calgary do this? Even if it's #2 overall, I think the Habs would do it. For sure #3 or later. Don't see why Calgary would give up their #1C though.
Mathew Tkachuk is our best player imo. If we can get another Tkachuk that is just as effective then we really should do it. I love the idea of having those 2 out there totally disrupting opposing teams lol.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
neutral fan, seems bad for Calgary. Monahan was drafted in a similar range to this pick and has turned out about as well as you could expect, probably a similar ceiling to what the players available with the #4 pick will have so it seems like you take on the risk of that player not working out for no additional benefit. Plus, Monahan is in line age-wise with Calgary's core, doing this would sort of mis-align the primes of Calgary's best players and seeing as they're already a bit of a bubble team the only way it would make sense to make a move like this would be if you were going full rebuild...which would seem odd for a team that has 5 of its best players at 27 or under

ComixZone

Jul 24, 2005
Even if the Flames sign Tavares, it's an easy no. The value really isn't close because it's simply a "omg! 4th overall could be anything! it could even be someone as good as Sean Monahan if we're really lucky!"

Just, no.

Sure, the appeal of adding a 2nd Tkachuk is cool...but you don't build a franchise around wingers. Even if Tavares lands in Calgary (...hey, a 1 in 31 chance is still a chance), the team is better off with Monahan + Tavares than Br. Tkachuk + Tavares, because centre depth is what you should be after.

Want to move a centre because you land Tavares? Sure, off goes Mr. Backlund.

Reactions: Rorschach

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Even if the Flames sign Tavares, it's an easy no. The value really isn't close because it's simply a "omg! 4th overall could be anything! it could even be someone as good as Sean Monahan if we're really lucky!"

Just, no.

The key would be that we save 6 million dollars for three years.

Tavares wouldn't be cheap.

But we could demand Byron back as well as a sweetner haha.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome

Just, no.

Counter:

To Montreal: 2019 1st round pick
To Calgary: Brendan Gallagher

You may just get a player as good as Brendan Gallagher with that pick...if you're lucky.
It could be the next sam Bennett :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

Remember2004

Oct 20, 2010
Seems like the stipulation of signing JT for Flames fans to say yes which I agree. Something along the lines of 4th overall + Chuky for Monohan +? I really like Alex ever since he was drafted. What would that plus be?

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I'm sorry.
I think it was actually a Flames fan who proposed this. Specifically, a fan of Monahan. Maybe "MonhanFan" is moving to Montreal and wants his favorite player to go with him?

This trade proposal is basically like the Family Guy skit about the mystery box vs. the boat....but the mystery box could be anything, it could even be a boat. Monahan is what you hope a #4 overall becomes, but it's far from a guarantee. Many #4 overalls become nothing. Very rarely do they work out to be better than a 30 goal 65+ point #1 centre.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
No. Just no.

I would love a second Tkachuk, but we saw first hand for 20 years how much it can hurt to not have good enough C depth while having a star winger.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
That trade is bonkers. Why would Calgary do this? I can't believe this came from a Flames fan. Habs take this and run away laughing.

Reactions: Reinhart

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad