Proposal: Monahan to Montreal for 4th overall.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
There's no incentive for Calgary, unless the pick lands in the top-2.

And, in that case, there's no incentive for Montreal.

Discussing trades for top-5 picks is so stupid. Those deals never, ever happen.
What? its bad even for a top-2 lol Monahan is worth more than any unproven prospect beside Dahlin in this years draft.

Reactions: OmniCube

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Value really favors Habs, but with his surgeries, and the fact that he’d be playing away from Johnny, the Flames could be big winners here and should consider this.

Then trade one of their d-men for a 1C

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Ok, since Tavares was already brought up. Assuming Tavares wants to leave and he is willing to do a sign and trade what about:

Tavares, CGYs 1st, Ladd, Mayfield

For

Monahan, Brouwer, Stone

I’d like to get Bennet and Nelson in there somewhere, but it seems too unwieldly.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Correct me if i'm wrong but

Monahan > 4th overall

Pacioretty > Kylington, conditional 2nd

Thus, wouldn't the value somewhat even off somewhere in between?

Although, Montreal could also throw in a goalie (Lindgren or McNiven) as well in return for another piece.

Speaking value wise alone, I think Monahan and 4th overall are basically a wash, with the slight edge to Monahan. The reason it doesn't work out is it ruins Calgary's center depth.

But the gap between Pacioretty and Kylington and a conditional 2nd is without a doubt, way, way bigger than that between Monahan and 4OA

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
No a top line 30 yr old Winger is worth more than 20 yr old # 4/5 D-man.

He's actually still a prospect, you can only put potential on Kylington, just like how you can only put potential on the 4th OA, Monahan is worth more than a top 5 pick, Patches is a 30 year old declining player, in no way is this offer any better then the first, Patches wouldn't even be in the discussion for Monahan either, both offers are on Habs side. Only way Calgary moves Monahan is if they're getting a Monahan level forward who shoots right, But hes not going to be used for a 1st round pick.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Uh no and nowhere did I remotely say that. Also, Pacioretty declining.... lol

You clearly said Patches has WAY more value, while Monahan was the center piece of the proposal, therefore you did, Patches doesn't belong in a Monahan offer.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
I would never do that if it ends up being top 2, the chances of that are much larger than us saying at 4.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
the whole if we sign tavares part of this is nonsensical, John Tavares isnt even a free agen til after the draft, and cant even talk to calgary till july 1st, so why would calgary trade Monahan at the draft on the blind assumption that Tavares would positively sign there?

its ridiculous

as far as I know calgary doesnt own a time machine

Index

Fillmore, I'm on it!
Mar 24, 2013
Why would Calgary do this? Even if it's #2 overall, I think the Habs would do it. For sure #3 or later. Don't see why Calgary would give up their #1C though.
I don’t know about that, Svechnikov is certainley making a case for himself to be game changing talent.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Mathew Tkachuk is our best player imo. If we can get another Tkachuk that is just as effective then we really should do it. I love the idea of having those 2 out there totally disrupting opposing teams lol.

William Nylander is pretty good. Wanting to overpay for Alex Nylander 2 years ago because of that doesn't look like it would have paid off too well right about now. You're not getting the same player. You may get a good player, and having 2 brothers would be cool, but it's horrible asset management for quite a stupid reason.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
You don't trade your #1 center for a wing prospect. Unless your number 1 center isn't a number 1 center (which isn't the case here) or you are getting an Ovechkin level prospect. This move would massively set Calgary back. If Calgary is going to shake up the foundation of this team, they need to explore trading either defenders or wingers. Because, if you trade one of your top 2 center without getting a good one in return, its hard to picture how the team would get better.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
William Nylander is pretty good. Wanting to overpay for Alex Nylander 2 years ago because of that doesn't look like it would have paid off too well right about now. You're not getting the same player. You may get a good player, and having 2 brothers would be cool, but it's horrible asset management for quite a stupid reason.
Remember when we (the Leafs fanbase) wanted to trade the farm to unite the Schenn brothers......

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Value really favors Habs, but with his surgeries, and the fact that he’d be playing away from Johnny, the Flames could be big winners here and should consider this.

Then trade one of their d-men for a 1C

Are the surgeries a cause for concern? Why so many in such a short timespan?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Are the surgeries a cause for concern? Why so many in such a short timespan?
Because he was playing through injuries, none of the surguries are cause for concern and the guy you quoted is also clueless when he talks about Monahan without Gaudreau, Monahan has produced without Gaudreau, Gaudreau however has not really produced without Monahan.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Because he was playing through injuries, none of the surguries are cause for concern and the guy you quoted is also clueless when he talks about Monahan without Gaudreau, Monahan has produced without Gaudreau, Gaudreau however has not really produced without Monahan.

Thanks but I wasn't endorsing anything from the guy, I only chose his post on account of having read several bringing up Monahan's surgeries, so I randomly quoted it. I was truly only interested in Monahan and thank you for answering.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad